mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Needing some bike advice...

Hey guys...

First off I am jumping back into biking. Taken a small "vacation" due to nowhere to ride and a knee problem...

Last time I rode I had a Trek VRX-400... was a decent bike I thought for me at the time.

Anyways after my little knee problem I am a staggering 248lbs. Granted I am 6'2" its still alot. I used to weigh in at about 186lbs before. Now that I can actually get out and get back into shape with proper diet and exercise I am looking into bikes again...

I was thinking about a hardtail and was looking at the Kona Hoss and the Specialized Rockhopper as alot of people seem to recomend them. I was just reading a few posts on the Kona Dawg, Stinky and spoiler...

I am kinda planning on doing a little of everything. The group of guys I will be riding with pretty much all have FS bikes with a few having hardtails they ride on ocassion. I would say its 50/50 as far as uphill/downhill and probably a little jumping from what they have said.

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

locked - time out

Smile 05' Clearence SALE @ IBEX.

Hi ultragraffics,
    All the bikes you've mentioned are good rides. I personally went off the board and tried
    Ibex. Sure, you cant test-ride like most of the more well known brands. But if you do
    some home work you'll find that you'll get more for your $$$ and have yourself one sweet
    ride. Check out the Ibex board here on these forums, you can read some good posts.

IBEX bikes .com on a Yahoo search will get you there.

Welcome back to cycling and good luck on your quest.

Jake Pay, Ibex Here.

edit: Take your time and shop around.
    Last edited by Pay Here; 03-04-2006 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Spelling

Your bike is incorrigible

all about Kona

Yep, all good bikes. I guess there are just a couple of things you need to think about. First, are you going to spend $800 (Hoss) or $1600 (Coiler)? Second, and I know this is a difficult thing to answer, how often and for how many miles will you ride? The more you ride, the more FS will pay off.

At first I was going to say that you should just go with the Hoss. However, FS is just so much more pleasant. I would not recommend the Stinky for XC, as its angles are too relaxed and it's a little on the heavy side. On the other hand, the Coiler is the least I would get, since I know that it will take anything I can throw at it. It's still 36 pounds, which is pretty heavy for XC. You could lighten it up a couple pounds with different tires. So, my vote is for the Coiler. Have you checked around for deals?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the info guys...

I think the extra $500 in the FS will benefit my rear with 2-3 days a week of riding. I was talking with a buddy who runs a shop here locally(didnt know) and he suggested the Trek Fuel EX7(06 model). I can pick it up for $1500 which seemed reasonable. I saw a few people liked it on the board here so now thats in the mix...

Plus I can get some other stuff at good prices as well which will lead me to buy from him obviously...

Thanks
    Aaron.