mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Need wheel help....

I am a fairly aggressive 225lb'r, but also ride fairly smooth. Needless to say, I'm getting ready to retire my WTB Laserdisc Trail w/9mm QR DT Swiss hubs. This wheelset served me okay, but I can feel the flex in the rear wheel when ride off camber stuff or G-outs. I want to make the whole setup more solid. I just bought a new fork with 15mm axle, but also want to go to 10mm thru-bolt in the rear. I have a $400 budget and have been reading review after review, but the vast majority come from guys under 200lbs. I am looking toward Azonic outlaws w/15mm conversion, but am concerned with the added weight. I also saw some 2012 Havoc's for around $400.00 new, but 24 spokes scare me.... Ideally I would like to go to Hope/Flow's but can jump the extra $150 right now...any advise for a beer belly on a natural light budget

mtbr member

Need wheel help....

If you have not used it try Universal Cycle's wheel builder. You can mix and match rims and hubs to meet your need. I'd spec out a cheep front hub and pay a bit more for the rear. They also have blow out rims that can really bring your cost down. Right now they have the original Stan Flows for about $45..

mtbr member
    I have the Havocs you mention, and can't really complain about flex; I had a set of the older, non-ust models that were pretty flexy, but Easton really addressed that. The only time I ever notice flex on the new ones is landing jumps sideways, but that's to be expected with any wheel (it's either flex or something breaks in that situation).
    FWIW, I'm as high as 250 certain times of the year, and use suspension travel over skill (i.e., hack who usually just tries to ram stuff as hard as I can rather than use any finesse) and I don't have a problem with the '12 Havocs.

At least in years past, the outlaw hubs were garbage.

I second Hangtime's recommendation on saving some money in the front hub; and the old flows are just as good as they were before the new ones came out, but about $50 cheaper.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm also 225 and ride similarly. For the last year, I've been on a set of Stan's Flows EX with my stock x9 rear hub and Lefty front. Everything has held up flawlessly and the rims are true as the day they were built, all within a comparable budget.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Took some of the advise and purchased an X9 hub and a pair of flows. Searched around and cherry-picked all the component...got outta there for around $300. Just need to lace them up and away I go....thanks everyone for your response....

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by outtashapeguy View Post
    Took some of the advise and purchased an X9 hub and a pair of flows. Searched around and cherry-picked all the component...got outta there for around $300. Just need to lace them up and away I go....thanks everyone for your response....
    If the rear hub proves durable, I think you made a good choice.