Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Need a Very Comfortable Saddle

I am 100lbs overweight and it makes an uncomfortable saddle even worse.

If I could find the old Tomac Tiogo DH saddle I would use it. Or better yet a banana seat.

Anyways, who makes the most comfortable saddle thats durable and costs less than $100?

Oh Yeah Baby
    I find that many of the WTB saddles that have the "Love Channel" are quite comfortable. There are several flavors under $100 depending on your needs.
    Last edited by Shocker99; 05-08-2011 at 08:02 AM.
    Misfit Psycles diSSent

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    thanx for the advice, but I already have a similar saddle and it pinches me with the groove. I think a flatter one with out the groove would be more comfortable for me

mtbr member
    I love my Specialized Avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    its got the groove that pinches my junk. Im looking for something flat

mtbr member
    A little groove maybe...but not enough to pinch...or maybe my junk is just too big to fall down into the groove.
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yeah thats it, my dick is too small and falls through the groove

mtbr member
    Sorry to here that. Especially considering it's a VERY small groove.

kanan.dume
    May 2011
    LOL, I bought a Schwinn seat from Target (don't laugh) cause of a similar issue (junk groove pinching and a bit overweight, not little @#$@#). It was about 25 bucks, and its done well. Bell makes a similar saddle. Just my 2cents.

mtbr member
    In all seriousness...go to your LBS and ask them if they do seat exchanges...many shops will allow you to try a seat for a week or two and exchange it for a different one if it doesn't work for you. Also get measured for your seat...that can make a huge difference in comfort.

kanan.dume
    May 2011
    I got the stock saddle on my '11 Specialized Hardrock... not happening... very painful 5 miles ride first day....I'll check out my LBS.

mtbr member
    Well...also keep in mind if you are just starting to ride after a long time off the saddle...it won't really matter that seat you have on the bike...your arse is going to hurt...it's going to be sore for a week or two. Only thing you can do is ride...deal with the pain...your body will become accustom to it. If after a week or two there is still discomfort...then look at new saddles...or if from the beginning you can just tell the seat is wrong and it's not just beginner soreness...then possibly look at new seats.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Believe it or not, I have found the most comfortable saddle to be the Specialized Phenom. Not much to it(it looks intimidating), but I was fitted for it and is more comfortable than any other seat I have ridden. The only part of you that should be pressing the seat are your sit bones. A decent pair of shorts will keep your junk in place, just pull the package up after the shorts are on and ride in comfort...

kanan.dume
    May 2011
    Which leads to the next obvious question, good padded riding shorts for a low budget?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If you have an REI close, the novarra shorts work great. I know a lot of people swear by HOSS Ponderoasa, but I haven't tried them. I will say that I tried out some FOX shorts, and the stitching let go on the first ride, but the removable liner was good, and I still use it under regular shorts. My absolute favorite way to ride is wearing my bibs under a pair of baggy shorts. If you want to try bibs, the performance ultra's are a good start. Then you can wear any shorts you like, since the padding will already be there in the bibs.

mtbr member
    I prefer dedicated biking shorts under whatever baggy shorts I want to wear. You can get decent shorts at a decent price here.... http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/bikeshorts.htm

Also...if you have a big box sporting store...check there...I have a Dunham's Sports nearby and they have shorts as low as $20 that looked not too bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yeah, I used to ride with cutouffs back in the day when I weighed 170. Dont think I can get away with it at 280lbs.

Also, I had both hips replaced. They attach artificial hip sockets to the pelvis. So it stuck my legs out about 1/2" on each side. I think Im gonna need a wider saddle now.

Im gonna make a trip to the bike store and ride different bikes with different saddles and see what happens

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was in the same boat. The WTB that came stock on my Marin killed me. I couldnt get 2 blocks on it. I ordered this serfas from Jenson USA, figured for 10 bucks it was worth a shot. I've put three 5 mile roundtrips on it in 3 days and love it. Feels like im sitting on a plush layzboy compared to the WTB i had before. It may not be "cool" but my a$$ thanks me for it.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ty+Saddle.aspx

mtbr member

I second the Serfas saddles.

I have the Serfas RX Performance saddle:

http://www.serfas.com/product_details.asp?ID=3

It has worked wonderfully for me. Very comfortable and you don't feel like your sitting on a tractor seat like some of the others. Not too expensive either.

Longest rides have been 30 miles on the road (In the saddle the whole time).
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was riding with a Selle Royal gel that was actually quite comfy under my 275 lb butt.. I recently switched to a Brooks and I am amazed at how comfortable it is. From what I hear it will just get better as it breaks in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Well...also keep in mind if you are just starting to ride after a long time off the saddle...it won't really matter that seat you have on the bike...your arse is going to hurt...it's going to be sore for a week or two. Only thing you can do is ride...deal with the pain...your body will become accustom to it. If after a week or two there is still discomfort...then look at new saddles...or if from the beginning you can just tell the seat is wrong and it's not just beginner soreness...then possibly look at new seats.
    I sure hope I can come back in a couple weeks and say you were right. I just did my first ride today after 3 years without a bike, and I didn't ride that bike much, so it's really like 10 years since my last significant ride. My butt is quite sore tonight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I sure hope I can come back in a couple weeks and say you were right. I just did my first ride today after 3 years without a bike, and I didn't ride that bike much, so it's really like 10 years since my last significant ride. My butt is quite sore tonight.
    The general consensus is to keep pushing through the pain using some typical saddle until your arse gets used to it...I don't sure their view. I took 10-15 yrs off riding bikes and went from 180lbs to 275lbs. Anyhow, I tried enduring the pain hoping an praying my arse would toughen up. My arse just wasn't going to have any of that any longer and I actually had to stop riding for a couple weeks to recuperate. So I went across the grain and bought a large Gel set. It set me back about $50-75 but my arse is Eternally Greatful Combine that large Gel seat with my FS MTB and life is great! My arse no longer dictates how long I ride my bike!

A saddle isn't permanent and you're not going to loose weight sitting on an ice pack at home flipping channels. So my best advice is to buy the most comfortable saddle you can afford and that allows you to hit up the trails with. You can replace it some super AM/XC Pro looking saddle after you loose a few pounds. Also look into some padded cargo bike shorts to help reduce wear and tear on your arse.

Happy Ridding.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If you haven't ridden for a long time, your ass is going to hurt for at least a few rides. That is what I call 'bicycle butt', where you are getting that area toughened up and used to riding. It happens to virtually everybody in that situation.

If you are still in a pretty good amount of pain after several rides, the saddle may not agree with the current condition of your personal undercarriage.

If, after several rides, you are still hurting soon after you begin riding, a saddle change my be waranted. I would recommend something in the middle of the road so to speak. Saddles that are really big and soft may still put pressure on your sensitive spots, and could put pressure on others that a smaller saddle would not even affect. The mindset that believes spreading out the load, and softening the surface, will make it all better is not nearly true across the board. It may work for some, but not that many.

I would look at some saddles like:

Brooks B17 Champion
    Planet Bike ARS
    WTB Comfort V
    Specialized Milano
    Specialized Sonoma
    Specialized Comfort
    Selle Royal Ergogel Plugin Relaxed

Saddles like these will generally be about 155mm to 195mm wide, and many have an anatomical depression, or cutout, but they are not always needed (witness the classic Brooks B17 which many newer riders and experienced alike find very comfortable). Likewise, really soft padding is not necessarily an indication of how comfortable a saddle will be. Rap a knuckle on a Brooks B17 and it almost sounds wooden. It's all about how it fits your tuchus.

It honestly took me several years of riding a LOT to condition my (apparently) super-tender hiney to where I can ride 'normal' looking saddles with out outrageous protests from my backside, but that will vary from person to person.

Many shops (or riding buds) will have saddles they can loan you to try out. If you're going to try some more expensive saddles, you might consider buying used at a steep discount. That way, should it not agree with you, you could likely sell it for around what you paid, and then move on to something else. Or, if you like it and would prefer to move forward with a new one, again sell it for what you paid, and get a shiny new one for the long term.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm at about the two week point with 4 rides and 42 rides under my belt. My butt still hurts. I think it's still hurting from the first ride. I pushed too hard on that first ride. The pain is going down on every ride though.

I'll get a B17 at some point soon to help with my goal of lot of long rides this winter, including touring.

mtbr member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast