mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Need suggestions for a mountain bike...

I am 6'8" 285lbs. I currently own a Trek 7200 Hybrid....

This bike has a 25" frame with 700c tires and fits me great. I originally bought it for leisurely riding around my neighborhood for exercise, but I also wanted the ability to handle some dirt trails if the occasion called for it. Well, I recently found out there are all these great single track trails around here and I went to try them out with a friend. My bike did not cut it. Gear shifting is slow, chain popped off a few times, and I had a hard time with some climbs. I am sure there are many reasons for this, but I was also told the geometry is a big part of it.

So I am looking for a mountain bike to tackle some of these rough single trails around here. I am confused on what would be best. I am partial to Trek, but I am open to other brands. I was looking into full suspension bikes, but I was told that with my weight the bobbing might be too much for pedal efficiency. I was also told to look at 29ers. The trek 69ers interest me as well.

I was browsing this forum a bit before I posted, and I saw some large guys like myself have custom bikes. Sounds great and all, but spending even $1500 on a bike would be pushing it for me. I want as good as a bike as I can get for as clost to $1K to $1.5K as I can get.

Now I do fit my bike really well, but in addition to the problems I was having on the trails, the bike felt too large. While I am 6'8", I am fairly proportional as my pants inseam is only a 36". The largest mountain bike I have seen this far is the trek 4500 which is available in a 24" frame. I worry about the components though, as its only a $500 bike. Also, it lacks disc brakes, which I would really like to have.

I was looking at some Trek full suspension and hard tail models. They mostly max out at 21.5" and the Gary Fisher 29ers I was looking at online seem to max out at 21" frames. I have not tried any of these bikes in the store, but I noticed a few when I had my bike in for some maintenance, and the 21-22" frame models seem like they would work for me, but I am not entirely sure.

So I guess my questions is, what would be best for someone my size, with my budget, who wants to do some rough singletrack riding? I have my urban adventure bike, so I really just want some to tackle the trails. I see full suspension being useful, but I want/need efficiency climbing since the trails by me have a lot of quick climbs and descents. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Also, I would like to mention that it is awesome that there is a forum for us big guys. There isn't much in this world that caters to us.

gravity fighter
    Check out the Gary Fisher Piranha or Cobia 29er in a 21" frame (they are owned by Trek). The GF's have great geometry for most tall riders and the component specs are very decent for the money. There is also the Mamba for a little less $ but the electric blue and white color scheme is not exactly subtle
    If there is an REI near you, try the Marin Alpine Trail as well. I'm 6'2" and the 20" was a little too big on me.
    Me and a few others here have had good luck with the new Specialized 29er's too.
    You just need to get out there and try a bunch out and see what feels right.
    When you go shopping, try to go on a weekday morning when the shops aren't busy because you will need some extra help to get the bikes set up for your size.
    Good luck on your search!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    at your height you might have to look at yeti, i did make a suggestion for some one who is almost 7' i'm sure there will be plenty of options there.

Very tall, custom Ventana or other

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Although I am tall, my pants inseam is only a 36. I think that puts me in the category of guys who are about 6'4" to 6'6" though. Not sure.

All the bigger ones of theose Yetis look expensive. I realistically can't spend more than $1500 on a bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looked at some Fisher mountain bikes yesterday. They didn't have a 21" 29er, but they had a 21" 26er. I sat on that, and I could get the seat too tall for me, so that isn't the issue. The problem is when I sit on the seat at about the proper height, the handle bars are a bit too low. I asked about extending them, but the guy at the show said I would have less control over the bike. I think he was talking about extending the handle bars forward. Is there a way to get a longer stem?

Otherwise my other realistic options are a Trek 4500 26er, which is a cheaper bike and doesn't have disc brakes. I could also check out the Specialized 29ers. I really prefer what the fishers have to offer though.

mtbr member
    Specialized Rockhopper 29er comes in a 23in frame which will give you about 34.5" of standover height and the bike itself is a decent bike. You can get the comp version for $800ish or the Expert for $1000ish. I am 6'2" but short legs with a 32" inseam and I have the 21" frame and while it is a bit too tall for me the overall fit of the bike is great.