mtbr member

Need suggestions for a cheap entry bike.

It was suggested to me to re-post this in this section.
    Please pardon my ignorance, I just don't know much.

I need some ideas/thoughts on a low budget noob setup. I am a poor college student and can't spend too much, at the same time I know you get what you pay for which is why I want to avoid the wal-mart/target bikes. Is it even possible to get a decent setup for around $300?

I've done some searching and have found these

Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane 400HT
    Save up to 60% off Mountain Bikes - MTB - Fuji Tahoe 29 PRO
    Save up to 60% off Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane 450HT

There are a few others i've seen around at that price range. Will these be alright? Will my weight be a concern? 260 lbs/6'1" (which is why I'd like to get into biking). Can these cheaper bikes actually handle trail riding?

If I do go shopping for used deals at the local shops and pawn shops what should I look for and avoid?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!
    Civility is the lubricant of society.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Those motobecanes can definitely handle trail riding, and can definitely handle a big guy. i started on a moto 700HT, basically the same exact frame that is on the ones you linked, only somewhat better components. i started riding at 267# and the only things that have broken have been saddles (bad form on my behalf), a bent seatpost (same bad form), and the rear hub- that one i attribute to being low-end gear on an entry level bike.

i have upgraded a LOT of the components on my moto- most of them actually. no, i didnt break them all, but i sure rode the piss out of them til they needed replaced.

craigslist may have some deals, especially now that summer is over and the wannabes are unloading the bikes they bought this summer and only rode a couple of times. depends on your area i suppose. no matter where you find a used bike just remember- you are stuck with it. if you dont know bikes, take someone with you who does. same with those motobecanes- you are going to have to do some assembly on them, so if you dont know how to do it you will need a friend who does- or better still, take it to a bike shop and pay them to assemble it for you (a worthy investment since they will adjust everything for you at the same time too.)

out of the 3 you picked i would go with the 450HT. best componentry of the lot. it will definitely handle the trails, even for a big dude. but start saving your pennies where you can, because things are gonna break, eventually- you can count on it. and definitely keep an eye out on cl for a set of wheels- stock wheels are straight out of the flintstones- heavy as hell.

good luck!
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

My Brain Hurts!
    I second the 450...all 3 bikes look very capable and I base that on I am riding the hell out of a Giant Rincon, almost 500 retail new, and the BD bikes all have a s good or better components!

I wish I knew about Bikes Direct when I bought the Rincon! No regrets, but it is always cool to save some cash and get better components!

Also, even though the stock wheels are "heavy as hell" (to quote Big Terry) I would not replace them unless the performance was not good. I am still running the stock rims on my Rincon and they have only been trued once since I bought the bike. i don't do drops or jumps, but I do keep up with guys half my weight and half my age! And some of their bikes 4x the bike that mine is!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Sounds good. Heavy wheels? Hell, I won't know any better. As I said i'm just starting out in this endeavor and i'm not going to know what I'm missing or know what I need to change until I get a feel for it all.

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it!
    Civility is the lubricant of society.

mtbr member
    Suspension forks on those bikes are garbage for average weight riders, they're dangerous for a Clyde. Drive train parts aren't much better.

Get this single speed...it is burly and solid and close to your price range.

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Suspension forks on those bikes are garbage for average weight riders, they're dangerous for a Clyde. Drive train parts aren't much better.

Get this single speed...it is burly and solid and close to your price range.

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes
    Those look like good, no nonsense bikes! I actually would add a rear cassette and shifter to use one of them for cold weather trail riding...I'm not too sure my knees would like the single speed...and a big guy not used to bumps and roots on a trail would really appreciate a suspension fork. I know I did!

As to the suspension forks, while I agree the SR Fork on my Rincon is not great, it is holding up just fine so far. I do want to change it out if I keep the bike, something higher quality.

I would not shy away from the bike due to the fork but would expect it to be the first to go in an upgrade.
    Last edited by ProfGumby; 10-30-2012 at 05:31 PM.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!