Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Need a sturdy wheelset

I'm starting to ride a little more aggresive, and was wondering your opinions on a good sturdy wheelset. I currently ride a 29er hardtail, I weigh 275lbs, and was looking to not spend more than $600.00.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2015 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Easy enough , I just built these up on the custom program.

https://www.universalcycles.com/wheelkit.php

(they build excellent wheels by the way)

I'm same as you and ordered DT 350 hubs laced with Flow Ex rims.

If you call the Portland store , they are very helpful.

FRONT WHEELSET

Front Hubs
    DT Swiss 350 Front Hub
    - 100mm x 15 mm

Front Rims
    SunRingle Inferno 25 29er Disc Rim
    - 29" x 32 Hole (Black)

Front Spokes
    Wheelsmith Stainless Butted Spokes
    - 2.0/1.7mm/2.0 (Black)

Front Nipples
    Wheelsmith Brass Nipples
    - Black 12mm

REAR WHEELSET

Rear Hubs
    DT Swiss 350 6 Bolt Disc Rear Hubs
    142mm x 32 Hole x 12mm Thru (HG Shimano/Sram)

Rear Rims
    SunRingle Inferno 25 29er Disc Rim
    - 29" x 32 Hole (Black)

Rear Spokes
    Wheelsmith Stainless Butted Spokes
    - 2.0/1.7mm/2.0 (Black)

Rear Nipples
    Wheelsmith Brass Nipples
    - Black 12mm

Your Total: $524.21

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I had a set of wheels built up for my birthday back in March. I went with Stan's Flow Ex laced up to Hadley hubs. I got them from Prowheelbuilder.com. I am currently 225 lbs. and have about 300 miles on them so far. They are currently as true as the day they arrived. The real test will come this summer, Mammoth for a week in June and Northstar for a week in July! Why not just go with a prebuilt set of Flows from Stan's for right at $600.
    '13 Stumpjumper FSR Elite
    '13 Stumpjumper HT Comp
    '13 Roubaix Elite Apex

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B888S View Post
    I had a set of wheels built up for my birthday back in March. I went with Stan's Flow Ex laced up to Hadley hubs. I got them from Prowheelbuilder.com. I have about 300 miles on them so far and they are as true as the day they arrived. The real test will come this summer Mammoth for a week in June and Northstar for a week in July! Why not just go with a prebuilt set of Flows from Stan's for right at $600.
    I've heard on here those stans hubs are a no go for a clyde.

mtbr member
    I have broke the pawls on my bontrager duster elite wheels 3 times now. I looking to get a better hub. Im 230 6'4". Ride a hard tail. Normal ride 3 x a week about 16 miles... 2 rides about 2500 ft the 3rd ride about 1000. Usually granny gear it up the real steep sections and that's when they break. Im wondering who has real world experience as a Clydesdale with hard climbing everyweek with a lot of miles and can recommend a good hub. I've read all the reviews and im personaly leaning to a Chris king hub. But im looking for some real world component beating with long lasting results. I don't have much money but what I do spend needs to last..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    I have broke the pawls on my bontrager duster elite wheels 3 times now. I looking to get a better hub. Im 230 6'4". Ride a hard tail. Normal ride 3 x a week about 16 miles... 2 rides about 2500 ft the 3rd ride about 1000. Usually granny gear it up the real steep sections and that's when they break. Im wondering who has real world experience as a Clydesdale with hard climbing everyweek with a lot of miles and can recommend a good hub. I've read all the reviews and im personaly leaning to a Chris king hub. But im looking for some real world component beating with long lasting results. I don't have much money but what I do spend needs to last..
    DT Swiss
    Hadley
    Chris King
    Industry 9
    Profile Racing

I'm sure there are a few more out there ,any of those would serve you well.. Low end trek wheelset have a bad rep.

mtbr member
    Thank you. I have a freind that has a new set of stans arches he is willing to make me a great deal on. Im concerned though they say rider weight 230. That's right where I'm at. And I've seen reviews with the same hub problem I've had. Any thought? I'm thinking I should stay away from that opertunity and just get a better hub for now..

mtbr member
    Arch rim would be good , 32 hole Flow Ex would be best.
    Hub of choice , dt swiss competition double butted spokes with dt brass nipples.

If you build it with a DT 350 , you're looking at about $380.

mtbr member
    Thank you

mtbr member
    I ride MTx33's laced to Hope Pro 2 hubs. Been bombproof for several years. I also have a rear single speed wheel that's an MTx33 laced to a Chris King. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that rim at all. I'd also contact Mike Cuirak (MikeSee) at lacemine29 dot com. He's the best when it comes to 29er wheel builds.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Cannondale Carbon Synapse
    Misfit Psycles diSSent SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    DT Swiss
    Hadley
    Chris King
    Industry 9
    Profile Racing

I'm sure there are a few more out there ,any of those would serve you well.. Low end trek wheelset have a bad rep.
    Add Hope Pro 2 Evo and White Industries to that list

The White Industries M16 hubs come stock with cro-mo axles and freehub body for extra durability.

Super Clyde
    I bought a set of Hope Pro2 Evo/Flow EX wheels from Wiggle for about $550. I've only put about 50 miles on them so far but no problem with taking my 350lb behind through relatively low speed rock garden runs.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Need a sturdy wheelset

I'm looking for a sturdy wheel set as well. And was basically leaning towards the same type of build. Then with some research I may be changing my mind on the hopes.

My issue with the hopes are they still use pawls in the freehub bodies, where dt swiss use a gearing mechanism and I think the Chris kings use something similar. Still trying to find more info out on that though and need to see the tech sheets. I suspect they would be a more durable then the pawl system which is so common and IMO a bad design. Way to much force on 3-4 contact pts. I am sure many of us here can easily destroy a freebody with relative ease if we hammer down on a steep incline. Curious to see what a lot of you guys/gals think regarding the freebody engaging mechanism related to durability/etc. all the shop guys I talk to weigh maybe 160 and I I don't really trust their feedback on parts durability when they cannot generate the same forces we can on the parts.

Anyways, not trying to hijack but I think this is very relative to the op's post and I know I would be interested in learning more about the different type of engaging mechanisms in the hubs, especially for us that weight more then 200lbs as a few grams here or there is a lot easier/cheaper for us to lose then doing the same in a bike.

Steve

Regards

Steve

I suffer from fat finger syndrome and a tiny keyboard on an iPhone. So I apologize for the typos and misspellings.

mtbr member
    Never had an issue with my pawl system on the Hopes weighing as much as 320 pounds. I ran mine geared and as a single speed for a while. They are still kicking. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.
    Cannondale F29 carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Need a sturdy wheelset

That is good to hear. What was the frrehub? Alloy or steel?

Regards

Steve

I suffer from fat finger syndrome and a tiny keyboard on an iPhone. So I apologize for the typos and misspellings.

SPECIALizED
    Dec 2010
    I've heard on here those stans hubs are a no go for a clyde.
    I can confirm this x2.

mtbr member
    I've seen reviews of all the pawl type breaking with our kind of weight and strength. After talking with my freind who is a bike mechanic I made the decision to order the Kris kings. They are only a little more expensive, and from my mechanic way of thinking im not thinking they will give up on me. I will let you know..

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I think you and I are along the same lines of thinking. I'm leaning towards The Kings as well.

But I'm very interested and open to other types just trying to gather as much information as I can. I'm probably about a week away before I make the decision.

Regards

Steve

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I had a set of flow ex built about a year ago by mikec (lacemine29.com) with dtswiss 240 and 350 hubs (don't know the spokes off the top of my head). I have about 1000 miles on them with a steady diet of climbing, rocks, and smallish jumps (nothing over 2 feet) while weighing 250+ down to 206 and they are as true as the day I got them. If I had to set my bike up all over again this set up would be the 1st thing on my list....
    I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.. Oh SH*T!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaen View Post
    That is good to hear. What was the frrehub? Alloy or steel?

Regards

Steve

Steel. Weight penalty but I don't think I'd ride on an alloy body...not on a custom built wheel anyways. My stock wheels on my Canondale are still alloy but they are holding up. I don't think it's as much an issue on a geared bike as it is a SS though. My Chris King SS hub is also steel.
    Cannondale F29 carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    This is good info. Keep it coming.

Regards

Steve

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Arch rim would be good , 32 hole Flow Ex would be best.
    Hub of choice , dt swiss competition double butted spokes with dt brass nipples.

If you build it with a DT 350 , you're looking at about $380.

Thanks so much for the info. I think your build is the way to go for me.

mtbr member
    I went with the chris king ss carrier and sun Ringle inferno 27 rim.
    Last edited by Psycho1; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Need a sturdy wheelset

I looked at the hopes and I'm sure they are strong but they use the damn pawls as well just four instead of three.

I think I've narrowed my search down to dt Swiss 250/350. Super easy to rebuild and maintain. This is something I like!

Regards

Steve

Last edited by Aaen; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Edited my post sorry..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast