mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Need A Stronger Seat!!

so i just bought a new bike not a very expensive one but it was good value for what i paid for it, anyways first ride out i am already noticing the seat bending a bit! i am a big guy 6' 300lb and i need a Strong seat i will need to pick up one asap i am a newb so i dont know alot about seats yet

turtles make me hot
    I weigh about 260 and I've been riding with a WTB Rocket V for a couple of years now. Mine has steel rails. Also make sure your seatpost has a nice big clamp on it to spread the load. A small one will stress the rails.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I like to use a WTB Power V, which has bigger rails (8mm instead of 7mm IIRC). I used to go through seats often until I got it. I've been on the same one for a couple of years now. Be warned though; I broke 2 generic seat posts last year, probably as a result of the stronger seat rails. I now have a stronger seat post too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    WTB Comp V here.... I am taller and heavier than you and I have not had a problem and it is comfortable to boot.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    what should i be looking for as for construction such as the rails?

mtbr member
    My stock seat on my RockHopper has held up great under my 300+ pound load. My Specialized Avatar has as well and is VERY comfy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

R.I.P. DogFriend

Does your saddle/seatpost look like this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    what do you mean does it look like that? what the diference i am a newbie if the queation sounds stupid

R.I.P. DogFriend

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ok i just adjusted mine thinking that might be the cause it was adjusted almost all the way forward

Former Bike Wrench
    WTB saddles with Cro-Mo (not just steel) help along with posts with a large clamping area (Thompson for instance) and clamping the saddle centered on the flat part of the rails.

turtles make me hot
    I have a Thomson, but I wasn't sure if a new guy is ready to drop 90 bucks on a seatpost so I didn't name it. It has cured by seatpost problems, though.
    I like turtles

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    http://photos.imageevent.com/johansen01/pixelpeepersdelight/odballii/bent_saddle_rails_02.jpg
    The bad thing about this is that sliding it all the way forward like the photo claims is correct, isn't. The seat has to be adjusted front to back in order to have your knee at the correct position not just slammed all the way forward as that can/will lead to severe knee pain.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Nobody said this yet so I will...it also helps to learn how to ride light. Use you legs against the pedals to take some pressure off the seat when you see you are about to hit some rough stuff or even get off the saddle completely. I think that is largely what has allowed me to keep riding on my stock saddle going on my 3rd year on my bike and I hit some pretty nasty stuff at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Oh Yeah Baby
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496
    I have a Thomson, but I wasn't sure if a new guy is ready to drop 90 bucks on a seatpost so I didn't name it. It has cured by seatpost problems, though.

$50 on ebay
    Misfit Psycles diSSent