Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Need a strong chain.

So my new PC-951 broke today while out. Bent a pin out of the link and it was not the power link. Could of finished my ride, but no chain tool. Anyways. Whats good 9sp chain to get next.

mtbr member
    Shimano, KMC, Wipperman/Connex etc etc no special order. I like Wipperman/Connex beacause they come with a quick link that is easy to use.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    KMC X.9...get it and forget it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Oh Yeah Baby
    x3 for KMC.................Affordable & strong.
    Last edited by Shocker99; 06-05-2011 at 07:51 AM.

mtbr member
    and inspect your chain regularly, and replace it at least once a year.

mtbr member
    I check and clean my chain every weekend. This chain was also just over a month old. I'll have to call the shops around here and see what they got.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocker99 View Post
    x3 for KMC.................Affordable & strong.

and comes with a quick link

mtbr member
    Neat to see KMC getting some attention! Ive been running them for a while.. dirt cheap and they work. Good stuff.

@adelorenzo
    Wipperman 9 speed Connex gold chains are the strongest I've used, having tried SRAM, KMC and others. Strong enough that I'm running them on my singlespeed and my fixie.

mtbr member
    I run a SRAM 991 Cross Step. I used to break chains a lot before I switched to these guys, and have little to no problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnus View Post
    So my new PC-951 broke today while out. Bent a pin out of the link and it was not the power link. Could of finished my ride, but no chain tool. Anyways. Whats good 9sp chain to get next.
    Just for couriousity, how old was the chain? I had recently broken a 971 chain after only 100 miles or so on it.

Has anyone else had similar experience with this kind of breakage on SRAM chains? Since this break, I've upgraded to a SRAM 980 cassette, and a 990 chain with good results...

mtbr member
    Was just a little over a month old.. maybe 20 whole miles on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnus View Post
    Was just a little over a month old.. maybe 20 whole miles on it.
    That's scary, I didn't have many miles at all on the one I broke. I'd guess less than 100. I had made a few hard shifts doing a fairly flat singletrack, but nothing that should have caused failure. I hope this isn't a trend...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've snapped a few sram chains but still using them. I'm looking to try something else. Lately I've been having trouble with the link just falling out on a downhill or fast section. I've lost two in two days and looking to try somethign different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Out riding with the kids today. They don't manage their momentum well and tend to stop on hills a lot...particularly if there's some kind of obstacle. So they stop, I stop, they go, I get on to go. I'm already in a low gear, but I'm not moving. I stand on the peddle and snap the chain.

The side plates of the links say "KMC" and "XSP". From what I'm gathering KMC is the clyde chain. But is there any way to tell if this is a low end part of their product line? Trying to figure out what to change out for.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just broke a KMC 971 with one ride on it. Had a chain tool, so I SS'ed the rest of the ride, but the chain is useless now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I use a KMC x10sl and love it. I am a clyde at 280#, I think my boss who is a power lifter uses XTR with zero problems.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by EclipseRoadie View Post
    Just broke a KMC 971 with one ride on it. Had a chain tool, so I SS'ed the rest of the ride, but the chain is useless now.
    SRAM makes a chain called the 971...KMC does not

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I broke my PC-90 (yup, old ass model with not so many miles on it) this week and picked up a PC-991 at my LBS. We will see how well this goes. I will also be adding a multitool with chain tool to my bag now... I wasn't far from home when mine broke, but it really could have sucked.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    i have actually had very very good luck with Sram PC-991 chains, both the hollow pin and the cross-step ones. in the past i use to break shimano chains all the time but the new ones seem to be standing up to be abuse ok but they still are not as durable of sram chains

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Wipperman Connex 8/9sp> XTR/Dura Ace> KMC X9>Any SRAM 950-990 series

SRAM chains always seem to be on sale. Me thinks it is because they have to hit a certain price point to keep people buying them. I usually break a few chains a year, but Wipp's have been the best for me so far; on SS and geared bikes. For the $$, KMC X9's are decent (2 breaks this year), but Wippermans can be had in the $35 range, so it is a no-brainer for me. And I clean a chain lightly before every ride or 2, and a thorough cleaning every 2 months.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    SRAM makes a chain called the 971...KMC does not
    oops... meant KMC 999

mtbr member
    Cutter 9 speed chain!!! I have over 1K miles on mine and it's still within tolerance, this is a new record for me. I just purchased a replacement just in case but I'm still running it without issue...

Cutter 9 Speed Chain from Hucknroll.com

Just noticed the change in direction of this thread...but hay...Cutter makes an awesome chain...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkem View Post
    Cutter 9 speed chain!!! I have over 1K miles on mine and it's still within tolerance, this is a new record for me. I just purchased a replacement just in case but I'm still running it without issue...

Cutter 9 Speed Chain from Hucknroll.com

Just noticed the change in direction of this thread...but hay...Cutter makes an awesome chain...
    I should have never posted this, cause yesterday my chain finally broke. I still manage to ride for another 40Km after fixing it with a quick link but I believe now is a good time to put my new chain on...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I really like the shifting of my xtr chains with xtr cassettes but recently have broken two of them. Chain had less than 200 miles on it with good maintenance. Might be time to try something else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast