mtbr member
    Jul 2011

need some suggestions from my fellow clydes on buying a bike

Ok folks,

Im looking to buy a bike - hybrid for light trails nothing harsh.

Im 335lbs 6ft. Im looking at a bike a local shop suggested - a 2010 Cannondale Adventure. Is around $500 which fits my budget.

My concern is this - while the shop guy said it woul dbe ok for my weight, the cannondale site says 300 is the rider limit. Will my extra 35lbs be an issue?

Im concerned I will squish out the tires just sitting on it and pop spokes ect.

Are there any other mainstream readily available bikes I should consider? (nothign rare - id like to stick with name brand that most shops can get)

I like the Cannondale Adventure - looks good and seems comfortable. but that 300 limit weight spec has me worried. The shop guy said as long as I keep the tired inflated to the upper range, and dont jump curbs and ride harsh, it will be fine.

Im new to all of this, so any advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    my biggst concern is durability -- I dont want to be riding and have things break easily or the rims to bend and leave me walking it back to the car.

Do you think the cannondale adventure series at 300 lb spec will hold a 335lb guy ?

hopefully ill be below spec SOON!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    just posted a different thread that I got a bike.

Cannondale Trail SL 4 29er

lets hope it can hold up to this sumo's weight!

Oh Yeah Baby
    What kind of warranty did you get, if any? Were they willing to help you out?
    Misfit Psycles diSSent

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    they said the frame is lifetime and the components are 1 year. they said they will stand behind everything. The shop was VERY professional. I visited 4 shops and this one was LEAPS AND BOUNDS above the others. They were skilled, knew about the bikes, customer needs oriented, and not on commission.
    They also said cannondale has a customer loyalty program where they give credits on frames if you decide to trade it in, and also has a program if your frame gets destroyed in a fire, ect... to help get riders back on wheels.

I have only positive things about the LBS - world cup ski and cycle in Mechanicsburg PA

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    buy from a local shop. free tune ups. easier to get things warrantied.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    don't just look at what they have on the floor. ask what other brands are available for them to order.

mtbr member
    I ride a Giant XTC 1 29er and it is great! Check out the XTC 2, which is a bit cheaper (a bit cheaper $$ components) than the 1. But, still a wonderful bike. And, they both share the same frame.

IMHO, the geometry on the XTC is wonderful for us big guys. But, like most out of the box bikes, buy a new seat and some clyde friendly peddles.