mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Need Some Serious Advise Please.

I am 6'4" 270LBS and in desperate need to get back in shape. I love riding but haven't had a bike for a while. Got cash now and want to get something but nothing to crazy for now. My budget up to a 1000 but would prefer to rather spend less on bike and the rest on upgrades and extras (i.e. helmet, bike rack etc)
    I am looking to do all mountain riding (nothing hardcore - ok maybe a few small jumps here and there), as well as a lot of riding around where I leave: parks, street in and around Jersey City, NYC, etc etc.
    I did some initial research but at this point I am stuck and confused - there is too much stuff out there. Obviously I need to get a bike able to withstand abuse associated with my weight.
    Can someone please recommend a full bike and what type of components should I look for. I am afraid that with my height and weight I will wear out things quickly.

Also, I looked at bikes with 21" frame. Seemed fine but-??? , what frame size would you recommend for a 6'4" me?

Today I went to a store and salesman recommended 2008 Cannondales F6 @ $549
    F5 @ $689 and F4 @ $959 I really like the one arm front shock but I am not convinced as far as reliability and durability of the rest other components such as F&R derailleur, brakes, fork etc etc.

Another Bike I looked at was Specialized Rock Hopper and Stomp Jumper although welds on the frame looked brutal - I don't know if that may affect frame's durability (again my weight becomes a factor here)

I read some good reviews about Kinley Rx Disc, Woodstock 505,
    How about 2006 Iron Horse Warrior Comp?

Thanx in advance to anyone who will respond with some serious tips.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Spend the most you possibly can right up front. Upgrades are seldom a good "value" It is always better to get the bike with the goodies already installed

This bike in 21' is a lot of bike
    Jamis @ Jenson

good luck in quest. choose wisely, and try not to let (low) cost sway your desicion. You get what you pay for

Underskilled
    The idea I am following is buying a bike designed 1 step heavier than you use it for.
    i.e. if you ride XC get an AM bike or for you get a free-ride bike.
    My wife uses a free ride bike for XC riding (She is a size 0, it was just on an amazing offer)

hunt for special offers, I don't know what An american equiv of Chainreactioncycles.co.uk but go on there and look at the beONE bike offers.

The sizing depends very much on inside leg length, measure from floor

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanx The Russ, that Jamis looks like a pretty good bang for the buck
    I have checked BeOnes Bikes but It would be a haddle to get it over to US especially that there are many other bikes avaliable here locally with almost the same specs. Thanx Cave Giant

AnyOne else cares to comment?

Captain Underpants
    Given your weight I'd be looking at a Kona, Cannondale, or perhaps the RockHopper. You should be fine with a lefty fork, though if you can spare a little extra cash I'd really go with a bike that had a Reba or Fox Vanilla on it. Big guys need suspension forks, though if you are riding pretty smooth stuff you can get away with a rigid fork. It will still beat you up though. Don't know anything about the Jamis, my opinion is that on a first bike you should go with a bike from an LBS unless you are an experrienced bike mechanic, besides, a good shop will help you get the proper fit. Find a good local shop (even if it means a drive of an hour) and work with them. For your second or third bike internet shopping is the way to go as you will have a much better idea of what you want.

When I started I weighted 275#, as you ride you will find the weight coming off as long as you clean up your diet as well--cut out the processed carbs and alchohol (if you drink) and you can expect to lose 1-2 pounds per week without doing much else. Throw some heavy weights into the mix and you have a sure--fire recipe for sucess.

Congrats on your decision to get back in shape!

Underskilled
    I forgot that USA bikes are so cheap.
    For the UK that is a stop in track kind of price.
    Bikes over here on average cost twice the price for a similar spec; probably due to setting up for driving on the left or somthing!

I could fly to the USA buy a bike and take it back here and still spend less than getting it from the LBS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Driving on the left - definetly a factor cost about 500 extra on avg.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Ok It is down to

My LBS carries Cannondale, Specialized and Trek
    With my budget I can go for
    2008 F:6, 5 or 4 Cannon, Specialized any of the Hardrocks and Rockhopper Comp Disc or Rockhopper Disc vs. Trek 6500, 6000, 4500 and 4300 disk
    Again in your opinion considering 6'4" and 270lbs riding street and off road, trail, mountain but nothing crazy maybe occasional jump of the curb or some potholes which bike would be suitable and the best bang for the buck (considering the equipment, frame etc)
    For anyone with serious and comprehensive advise there will be a price awarded (I don't know yet what, but it should be good)
    Yours Truly

Underskilled
    The size is the most critical thing.
    you will perform better on a poorly specced bike that fits that a 'top value' bike that doesn't.

Cannondale is known for long top tubes so may fit your size better.
    I would measure the 'effective top tube' on all bikes and go for the longest.
    My reccomendation would be the biggest cannondale they have in the shop.

see if you can get a discount on 2007 stock, most won't change more than the colour but the price should be a lot.

for brakes make sure the front has a hydraulic disk, not neccersary on the back, the bike shop should be able to attach one if not for a small fee.

Was that enough for a small prize?

Underskilled
    I forgot to add, reason for long frame is you can put the seat up, you can't put it back. So make sure it isn't to short like my bike.

Some people will say a short frame is good, for your height the largest they make will be a short frame for you

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

2008 Cannondale F4,5,6 specs per request

Thanx for all the replies - I am learning new things with each one.
    Here are the specs of the 2008 F4,5 & 6
    anyone care to take a minute to compare them with the Specialized and Trek models I've listed before.

Ps: Again I've decided to go with LBS for the convinience and my mech. inexperience. They offer tune ups and tweak ups for liftime of the bike. I think FS is out of Q at this point due to a super strickt budget. Simply: It is what it is and I gotta get what I can afford for now. But again thank you for all your suggestions I'll keep them in mind for the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Underskilled
    Hi,
    The spec at your level is only important for willy measuring contests with your friends.
    All of those bike are good enough.
    I would get the most expensive that fits and get the bike shop to add a front hydraulic brake (you should be able to negotiate into the price)
    You will love hydraulic brakes, though make sure no-one with lesser bikes follow you on the trail or they will crash into you when you stop (or dive off the track and skid down a hill, well I warned him)

shut up and RIDE!
    I'm not sure about the lefty fork on the cannondale at 270lbs... I ride a lefty on all three of my cannondales, and I was told at 250lbs, I was pushing the limits. However I have not had any problems.
    '11 Surly Pugsley
    '07 Prophet 3
    96' Killer V 900ht
    04' F700sx
    '10 TommiSea Terrain Destroyer

Underskilled
    I am having trouble loading those images, but I think they have headshox not lefty forks, I think lefty comes in at the higher level prices.

MY cannondale scalpel knock-off frame arrives in the post today (not relevant to the post but I'm telling the world).

Viper fugitif!

Captain Underpants
    Looking at the following:

Cannondale F4
    Hardrock comp
    Trek 6500

The Cannondale and Trek have the best component spec, for the extra $100 you get hydro discs. however, I like the Geometry on the Cannondale the best (70 degree Head tube angle) followed by the Hardrock 70.5 degree HTA. I would find the 71 degree HTA on the Trek a bit steep, which might make the handling a bit twitchy, on downhills anyway.

I would ride all three, paying close attention to how the front end handles on each, the overall bar height (hink the Cannondale and Trek will win here) and whether the bike feels comfotable or not. all three of these bikes have the same top tube length in XL, so fit will be close. you should ride each bike several times on at least two different days to get the best feel for fit. Stems and saddles can be changed to fine tune your fit. I'd give serious thought to the F4 first, followed by the Hardrock, then the Trek.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That F4 is sure sweet!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Thanks to Everyone for Posting

I really appreciate everyones advise. I am going to hit the shop today and check out bikes. I'll let you all know how it went. Thanx again

Fat guy on a bike
    I recommend Trek 6700 or Rockhopper comp disc with new wheels. Get some Rhino Lite XLs with XT hubs, or Azonic Outlaws. Both the bikes at this build level have wheels that remain wanting for us clydes.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    I recommend Trek 6700 or Rockhopper comp disc with new wheels. Get some Rhino Lite XLs with XT hubs, or Azonic Outlaws. Both the bikes at this build level have wheels that remain wanting for us clydes.
    Azonics are a better rim, don't have tire mounting issues that Rhynos have in 26 (but I run em on my 29er ). Best thing to do is to blow the first set of rims then rebuild on stock hubs with DT Swiss champs or comps.