mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Need Some Help With The Impossible.

My father and I have recently taken up the sport of mountain biking, and we absolutely love it, my dad is 6'5" and is able to fit on an 21"-22" frame which works perfectly for him. Unfortunately I am 7' tall and do not fit on any of the bikes that i have been on, so I have been using a bike(an ancient 21" no-suspension bike) that does not properly fit me and after riding I have severe back pain, which discourages me from riding. I am 19 years-old and am currently attending college soo i don't have allot of money to spend on a custom made bike. I was just wondering if there were any options out there that might work for under $700? I don't mind buying used, so if any of you guys have an old 25-28" bike laying around let me know lol.

mtbr member
    There were some brands/models mentioned on this thread, but I doubt if any of them will be cheap.

Which companies cater to the ridiculously tall?
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Ventana makes a 25" frame that should fit, but it's not in your budget, a 23" specialized might be made to fit with a riser bar and a 120-130mm riser stem. There are also some 24" specialized RockHoppers floating around out there, but they're rarer than Hen's teeth.
    good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have been searching for a couple months and haven't found much, but i will keep my eye open for some of the bikes mentioned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm 6'5 and have owned aTrek, Specialized, and Scott mtb's. The Trek and Specialized frames both felt too big for me and ended up getting rid of them. I did a little Geometry search and just looking at the usual suspects, the Specialized Hardrock and Rockhopper (possibly in your $$$ range) have the greatest standover height follewed by Trek, Raliegh and Cannondale. I know thats not the only spec to properly size a bike but may help?

turtles make me hot
    It's no where near your 700 dollar budget but what about the biggest Surly Krampus?
    Maybe the 29 plus wheels will work well for you.

Krampus | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Or totally bite the bullet and get a Waltworks 36er.

I'm a mere 6'4" and that bike is on my bucket list.
    I like turtles