mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Need some advice on options for seat post height for a Clyde

I'm 6'2", 250lbs solid with a 2011 Giant anthem X (says 6'1" to 6'4" on the bike). The bike is stock with all Giant Connect parts. I just do XC riding and I'm trying to get my most efficient riding position. I just found that my correct saddle height is about an inch past the minimum line on my seat post. I have the most efficient stroke in this position but I can't ride it like this because the frame will probably crack. What options do I have to correct this besides selling the bike and getting another one?

mtbr member
    Get a longer seat post. That way there will be more post in the frame but you'll still get enough sticking out to make you happy. Any idea the length of the stock post?

Maybe a Thomson 410mm (16.14") post would do the trick. If that's longer than the stock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Get a longer seat post. That way there will be more post in the frame but you'll still get enough sticking out to make you happy. Any idea the length of the stock post?

Maybe a Thomson 410mm (16.14") post would do the trick. If that's longer than the stock.
    I have a 30.9 X 375mm Giant Connect post. I didn't think they came any longer than this but after posting this I found a Woodman post and a Gussett post, both in 450mm XL size at Universal Cycles. And the prices aren't bad either! I guess I'll try one of those but I hope I don't have issues with the frame.

This is my 2nd frame. It's a replacement for a 2010 Anthem frame that cracked at the seat post and top tube with the post inserted below the min line. I'm hoping that this was just a defective batch but I'm always concerned about it cracking again because of my weight.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    You will likely want a really long post if you are using it like you say. Even with a 410mm post, you will only have an extra inch in the frame. If it were me, I would definitely buy the longest post I could and then trim it down if I ran into fit issues in the frame. Having more post in the frame can save your frame.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Need some advice on options for seat post height for a Clyde

I run 410 mm Thomsons on a couple of my bikes. I'm 230 lbs and have had no problems.