Are you gonna eat that?

Need a solid non-disc 26" wheelset for not *that* much

Ok, so on my street bike I was running a set of Cane Creek aeroheats, great wheels, lasted 3 years before the rear started popping spokes. I had reasonably good luck with the XT/Rhynolite setup as well, so I'm tempted to just buy those since they're nice and cheap.

So I'm looking to replace them with something else that's half decent, doesn't need to be bombproof, I won't be jumping on them, but I'm running slicks at around 80psi so it has to be fairly strong.

A decent 32h rim ought to do it, but it needs to be rim brake compatible, disc hubs would be nice since I'm sure I'll replace the rim brakes on the thing sooner or later.

It's not an expensive bike, so I'm not looking to spend a fortune, I figure under $500 provided it's a good solid wheelset that isn't too heavy (I have some Azonic Outlaws that I know I won't break, but damn those things weigh a ton).

Any ideas? Thanks.
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

Are you gonna eat that?
    These seem to be a good deal, but I'm concerned that the 4.1 rim is way too light;
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...+BIKE+WHEELSET

XT hubs, 14g spokes, 32h rims, anyone tried something similar?

Former Bike Wrench
    Look for something with DT spokes which tend to be significantly more durable than no-name Taiwan made spokes.

Here's a good example

Are you gonna eat that?
    Ok, but the wheels I linked say;
    Rims: DT 4.1D XC Black
    Spokes: DT 14 DB Black
    Nipples: DT Alloy Silver

Leading me to think they're DT Swiss like the rims?

Am I missing something?

Former Bike Wrench
    other than the DT 4.1D rim is a lightweight DISC ONLY rim?

Are you gonna eat that?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    other than the DT 4.1D rim is a lightweight DISC ONLY rim?
    Oh it is? Nuts, it looked like it had some decent sidewalls on there, oh well, wtb it is then.

Thanks.

Are you gonna eat that?
    Ah screw it, I guess it's time to upgrade the old girl with some cheap mechanical discs.

Cane Creek are closing out their old Zonos wheels, which are disc only, but otherwise almost identical to the Aeroheats.

... oh and Cane Creek's customer support ROCKS.
    Last edited by Kyoseki; 02-24-2009 at 02:54 PM.

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    How 'bout some 36h Rhynolites with XT disc hubs? Pretty sure that I have seen that combo out there on the interweb for $160 or less. You know they are reliable, and at that price, you can upgrade to GOOD disks when you are ready.

Are you gonna eat that?
    Thanks for the suggestion, I saw those, but they're a little too heavy duty for what I need (this bike is only ever used on pavement, I have some Specialized Fat Boy slicks on there, it's job is to help me lose enough weight to not break my new road bike ).

I have no serious plans to put any money this bike, I want to simply buy wheels that will do the job, it's components are all parts that came off my main bike - I already have an Intense 5.5 trail rig rocking Industry Nine Enduros, this bike is just my weekday kickabout bike that I leave at work (which is why I don't want to put anything expensive on it).

I ended up with a set of Cane Creek Zonos wheels off the 'bay, Cane Creek themselves are selling off whatever they have left;
    http://cgi.ebay.com/26-Cane-Creek-Zo...3286.m20.l1116

Gary did me a bit of a deal on the wheels and I have an old BB7 kicking about from my first FS rig that sadly did not survive, and I ordered another one from Jenson so for $250 I've got a disc upgrade and decentish wheels (the Zonos wheels are almost identical to the old Aeroheats I had, and if I get 3 years out of them I'll be thrilled).

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    performance bike:
    Forte Terra max Dual duty wheelset. I ride them and they have been great, strong and pretty light.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx

best deal I've found and you can run discs whenever you decide to upgrade or buy another bike.

Rims: Sun Ryno Lite
    Hubs: Shimano Deore Disc
    Spokes and Nipples: straight guage silver spokes with brass nipples
    Weight: Front: 1,150 grams (with quick release)
    Rear: 1,320 grams (with quick release)
    Color: Black/silver rim and hub, silver spokes

Not the lightest, not the best, but the $ to quality ratio is there. the Sun Ryno Lite rim can pack a 2.5" tire as well.. . Holds up to my Mugura hydraulic V-brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoseki
    Ok, so on my street bike I was running a set of Cane Creek aeroheats, great wheels, lasted 3 years before the rear started popping spokes. I had reasonably good luck with the XT/Rhynolite setup as well, so I'm tempted to just buy those since they're nice and cheap.

So I'm looking to replace them with something else that's half decent, doesn't need to be bombproof, I won't be jumping on them, but I'm running slicks at around 80psi so it has to be fairly strong.

A decent 32h rim ought to do it, but it needs to be rim brake compatible, disc hubs would be nice since I'm sure I'll replace the rim brakes on the thing sooner or later.

It's not an expensive bike, so I'm not looking to spend a fortune, I figure under $500 provided it's a good solid wheelset that isn't too heavy (I have some Azonic Outlaws that I know I won't break, but damn those things weigh a ton).

Any ideas? Thanks.
    I have a set off of my 2004 Trek fuel 100 if your interested? I'll send you pictures too if you want to see them just send me your email address?

Michael
    2004 Trek Fuel Carbon Fiber
    1991 Trek 830

local trails rider
    Wheels? there's many places for wheels.

This is where I've been going for mine, recently.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...CategoryID=752

I have a pair of Hope/DT/Mavic 721 wheels in progress now:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/K...x?ModelID=7599

If 721 is too much, there's 719 and 717.