mtbr member
    May 2014

Need sizing help and bike help.

IF THIS IS IN THE WRONG FORUM PLEASE TELL ME AND I WILL HAVE IT REMOVED. SORRY

Hello all, sure this thread has been stated 100x before but i need help. I'm 6'5 265lbs in moderately good shape. I've been riding dirt bikes for years but have decided to get into mountain biking for some added fitness help. My delema is i know not a thing about bicycles, or if i can even ride one.

I plan to use the bike for trail riding (off-road) mountains, trails, rocks, ect, up hill down hill all of it, and i'm looking to stay in the $200 maybe $300 or $400 range if that is possible I do not know.

As for my questions...

1. Do i want a hard tail or a full suspension bike, coming from dirt bikes i'd like all the suspension as possible but I have heard hard tail would be better for my riding/price range

2. What size bike? I've spent my whole life buying the biggest they make but I am unsure here.

3. Where can i go about getting a bike to fit me? I live in a small town with one Walmart and definitely no bike shop, could someone help me with a online method/experience

A ready to ride bike is my goal, nothing fancy just something better then a walmart bike. I've seen these "BAMF" bikes and they seem good to me and I like there approach. Any advice would be appreciated . thanks

mtbr member
    1. You'll probably never find a full suspension bike in that price range outside of a piece of crap Walmart bike. Maybe an older bike but that's a long shot. So if that's really the most you can spend, I'd suggest looking at hardtails.

2. I'm 6'2" with a 32" true inseam. I ride larger bikes out of preference. My current bike is an XL frame and one of my last bikes was a 21" frame. You'd likely be looking at those sizes as a minimal. I'd suggest going to a shop and hopping on some bikes to see if you can get an idea.

3. Online is a crap shoot. You need to have some experience, someone that can help, lots of research, or just be lucky. If there's anyway to travel to a town that has some shops, you'd be doing yourself a favor.

Not sure what a BAMF bike is. Like I said, it would be worth your time to find some shops, get a good idea what size you need, maybe find a few bikes that you like the feel of them, and if there's nothing that you can afford at these shops, at least looking the bikes you like up on the internet and find out some of the geometry numbers and then start online shopping. Look for used stuff on ebay, Craigslist, classifieds on this site...see what's out there. There's some sites that offer fairly inexpensive bikes. Bikes Direct/Bike Island being a very well known one. There's some others as well.

My final suggestion is...try to spend more on a bike if you can. I say that because the more you spend, the better bike you'll get, in most cases. $200-400 is honestly a tiny budget for a decent bike. I know that it's hard to bring yourself to spend more and it sucks to save longer when you want something now...but in the end, if you buy good stuff now, you won't have to replace it sooner than later. Of course if riding isn't something you know you'll even like, I can understand not wanting to drop $600-800 or over $1000 for a bicycle. I think in the end, any bike that is solid and won't explode underneath you and gets you out riding is a good investment. When you fall in love with it, you can buy a better bike that will ride better and last longer.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    1. You'll probably never find a full suspension bike in that price range outside of a piece of crap Walmart bike. Maybe an older bike but that's a long shot. So if that's really the most you can spend, I'd suggest looking at hardtails.

2. I'm 6'2" with a 32" true inseam. I ride larger bikes out of preference. My current bike is an XL frame and one of my last bikes was a 21" frame. You'd likely be looking at those sizes as a minimal. I'd suggest going to a shop and hopping on some bikes to see if you can get an idea.

3. Online is a crap shoot. You need to have some experience, someone that can help, lots of research, or just be lucky. If there's anyway to travel to a town that has some shops, you'd be doing yourself a favor.

Not sure what a BAMF bike is. Like I said, it would be worth your time to find some shops, get a good idea what size you need, maybe find a few bikes that you like the feel of them, and if there's nothing that you can afford at these shops, at least looking the bikes you like up on the internet and find out some of the geometry numbers and then start online shopping. Look for used stuff on ebay, Craigslist, classifieds on this site...see what's out there. There's some sites that offer fairly inexpensive bikes. Bikes Direct/Bike Island being a very well known one. There's some others as well.

My final suggestion is...try to spend more on a bike if you can. I say that because the more you spend, the better bike you'll get, in most cases. $200-400 is honestly a tiny budget for a decent bike. I know that it's hard to bring yourself to spend more and it sucks to save longer when you want something now...but in the end, if you buy good stuff now, you won't have to replace it sooner than later. Of course if riding isn't something you know you'll even like, I can understand not wanting to drop $600-800 or over $1000 for a bicycle. I think in the end, any bike that is solid and won't explode underneath you and gets you out riding is a good investment. When you fall in love with it, you can buy a better bike that will ride better and last longer.
    Thanks buddy that answers a lot of my questions, Looking for a hard-tail then. On the note of a "XL" frame and a size "21" are those consider to be "big" bikes.
    Second question is on wheel size? do i want 29in?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Those are on the larger size...most likely about the biggest you'll find in most bike shops. Anything larger may have to be ordered if they even make them bigger...I guess it would depend on the brand.

As far as a 29er...I'd say yes just because I'm a fan of them over the 26" bike. Never tried a 27.5 so I can't say anything about them. Plus the 29er being a bigger bike won't look goofy under you like a 26" bike would...think circus bear riding a tiny bicycle.

Name:  bear-on-bicycle-1.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  58.9 KB

mtbr member
    I second all of what Nubster said. I've got three close friends who crossed over from MX and they quickly upgraded to pretty nice bikes.