mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Need a seat recommendation for my 29'er hardtail.

I just bought a new leftover 2010 Giant XTC 1 29'er. I knew when I bought it I would need a different seat. Anybody have any recommendations? Im looking for comfort folks, not speed. Are the WTB Pure V and SDG Bel Air RL still considered two of the more popular comfortable saddles? Im open to suggestions. Here is a pic of my ride,

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have settled on the WTB Pure V as my saddle of choice (with comfort being the primary goal), but your own posterior will have the last word.

YMMV.

mtbr member
    After reading some of the post about seats here I went to LBS and had my sit bones measured. I got a 163mm measurement. LBS told me a should get seat 10mm wider than my measurement so I got WTB comfort V sport 172mm. It looks fat and is a bit heavy at 435gr but I like it.

I have the comfort V on my rockhopper HT, rode this bike many a mile on the trails with complaint and with bike shorts and some gold bond powder I can ride 2+ hrs with no discomfort.

I recently bought a new bike, carbon stumpjumper HT 29er, and new I would need a new seat.

I picked up a specialized womans sonoma sport saddle 175mm model at my LBS. It looks trimmer and is lighter at 360gr but I can tell you after riding this seat only twice I will be switching it out for my comfort V.

I am 6'2" and 253lbs. and 43 yrs old and been riding about 6 months. I ride for health and recreation.

I will probably catch some teasing about my big ol comfy seat on a carbon fiber bike, but if I'm not comfortable I wont enjoy my ride.

I recommend getting measured and buying a few seats to see what you like, for me 30-50 bucks is small investment for comfort.

Some bike shops offer a test option where you can ride a seat for a few miles and if you don't like it they will exchange it out for another with credit toward final purchase.
    Last edited by jimbonerz28; 03-20-2011 at 06:44 PM.
    05 Raleigh M80 sold
    09 Rockhopper Comp sold
    10 Stumpy Expert Carbon HT 29er sold
    13 Stumpy FSR Elite "Yellow Jacket"

Former Bike Wrench
    might check out a Specialized LBS, they can measure your sit bones to determine what width you need. Also, Specialized makes some nice saddles, the Henge that came with my Stumpjumper 29er is remarkably comfortable.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    or, for 23 dollars:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=4023

plus its white (if u want), so will match your fork.

mtbr member
    specialized phenom 143mm feels great for me. looks like it would hurt like hell, but it's so flexy and slim.