mtbr member
    Feb 2009

need a rim, spokes nipples and a good vendor

I posted this to the wheel section but someone said to post it here due to my weight.

due to injuries and parenthood I have been out of mountain biking for awhile (forgot my user name)
    I need a STRONG black disc brake 26" 32 hole rim (tube not tubeless) 32 STRONG black spokes and brass nipples.
    I need an educated vendor that can sell me the right length spokes to mount the rim to a chris king rear hub.
    I am a lard ass at almost 300 lbs, I used to be an aggresive single track rider.
    I do not care about weight, I want a bomb proof rim and spokes.
    I will spend more for quality parts but I am no longer made of money these days.

I would like opinions as to what are my best options.
    if you need more info I will provide it.

FYI I have a dishing tool and truing stand and am fully capable of lacing a rim. and there are no bike shops nearby and none that I trust.

Making fat cool since '71
    Lots of opinions and several good hoops available. My fave for the price v. performance discussion is the Rhino lite XL. I take some off 10' drops/14' gaps...just fine. A good build will really do wonders. If you can lace...it's time you learn to measure your own spokes. DT's website has an OK calculator, but my fave: Spoke length

Wheel Pro's will show you "how" to measure. For the ultimate wheel geek status you can do the math yourself. It was interesting to learn. The formula isn't hard, but the first few times I did it was a PITA...I almost always use the WheelPro site, but I wanted to learn how to do it...just in case the web was down and 'cuz I'm a geek.

Spokes? DT Champion 2.0 (14 gauge). They had some "issues" with the black spokes a few years ago, but it's over and they are just fine now.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Good job! not alot of free time.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    Lots of opinions and several good hoops available. My fave for the price v. performance discussion is the Rhino lite XL. I take some off 10' drops/14' gaps...just fine. A good build will really do wonders. If you can lace...it's time you learn to measure your own spokes. DT's website has an OK calculator, but my fave: Spoke length

Wheel Pro's will show you "how" to measure. For the ultimate wheel geek status you can do the math yourself. It was interesting to learn. The formula isn't hard, but the first few times I did it was a PITA...I almost always use the WheelPro site, but I wanted to learn how to do it...just in case the web was down and 'cuz I'm a geek.

Spokes? DT Champion 2.0 (14 gauge). They had some "issues" with the black spokes a few years ago, but it's over and they are just fine now.

Brock...
    In the past I would love to "do the math" but I work all day in the engineering field and when I come home I have a wonderfull toddler to deal with. I want to order the parts once, and lace it with no problems. I dont relay want to spend the time to figure it out.

thanks for the imput!
    after I chose the rim I will go to both sites and do a comparo and hopefully they will both concure.

Making fat cool since '71
    Yep, I've got a little girl that keeps me hopping.

Here's the King page with hub specs so you don't even have to measure your flanges or off-sets: CK specs. The disc hubs are below classics. You can download a pdf to always have it on your PC, but I find it easier to keep the spoke length/hub dimensions in a note-pad with other bike related reference info out with my tools, but if you don't have a set of calipers...the web is nice. It sucks you don't have a shop worth a damn. Oh well...

Brock...

Edit: the only on-line places I really "like" from my buying experience are pricepoint and bluesky. There's gotta be others worth a damn though.
    Last edited by ImaKlyde; 02-26-2009 at 09:01 AM.
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Good day guys.I'm with the same boat with you guys.I'm using rhino lite xl lace on ck iso disc,db dt spokes.no problem so far.now I'm going to try singletrack rims.I want to use dt alpine3 spokes with 3butting 2.36-1.8-2.0.now my question is this thing will work on ck iso disc hubs?Maybe flintstone you should try it to.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    universal always has all the sizes listed... and all the major bits in stock for a good wheelset....

i'm looking forward to having a little spare cash so i can build up my non disc XTR hubs for my road/cx/city bike ride ... haven't decided on what rims or spokes yet though
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie