mtbr member
    Aug 2008

New question here. Need Rim Recommendations/Advice for Aggressive Riding Cylde

Hey,
    Iím 6í5Ē, 230lbs and I ride aggressively and like air. Iím looking to build a wheelset and need some recommendations for a bomb proof DH/FR rim.

Weight is not a big deal for me, I figure if I lose five pounds pedaling around a hefty bike Iíve just saved the weight equivalent of $$$ XC upgrades!

Iím about to buy Sun Ringle MTX 33 welded rims, good or bad idea? Anyone had experience with MTXs or anything similar (Mavic ex721, ex729, Transition Revolution, WTB Dual Duty FR, etc)

And should I go 32h or 36h? Is there really much difference in strength or weight?

Are you gonna eat that?
    I'd be surprised if you can wreck a set of 36h Azonic Outlaws.

They're not light though.
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoseki
    I'd be surprised if you can wreck a set of 36h Azonic Outlaws.

They're not light though.
    Ditto. I'm 230 6' and tend to destroy rims. no probs with the Azonics, they aren't that light but they sure as hell aren't that heavy and are pure beef, I like them so much my downhill rims with CK hubs are in the closet and I now have a set on all 4 bikes, as a bonus, they take really well to tubeless conversion because of rim and lip shape...these things are the chitins
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Go with the ex721 or ex729. As far has hubs, I would go hadley or king in the rear and hope in the front. 32 spoke should be fine. I would check with Larry @ Mtn High or Chad @ Red Barn on the build and prices.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    well are you looking to be riding DH/FR? that is my first question. also would you consider yourself a smooth rider? and what type of things are you looking to ride/hit?

if you answer those we will be able to help you much more with your decision

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Big Guy with Big Rims

Hi There,

Im 6'2 almost 300.

I just picked up a pair of EX823's with King Hubs and 36h for the rear. I would think these are about as bomb proof as you may get (should be for the $900 for the set). I know Kings are solid and they are the only Hub I would ride.

Captain Underpants
    I like the WTB LaserDisk FR. Pretty bombproof.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_crackien
    well are you looking to be riding DH/FR? that is my first question. also would you consider yourself a smooth rider? and what type of things are you looking to ride/hit?

if you answer those we will be able to help you much more with your decision
    Yeah, I ride DH and FR. Nothing too extreme, 3 to 5 foot drops off of ladders and the occasional sport class DH race on weekends. I not going to hit anything big, but Iím also not that smooth of a rider, honesty. I have a few nice flats in my old rims to prove it.

Mavic ex721, 729, and 823 sound good, Iím leaning toward the 721s. Iím not sure about outlaw rims. I see that a lot of people have recommended Chris King hubs, but I really canít afford those. Azonic Outlaws are a bit more in my budget; maybe I can scrape the dough for some Hope Pro IIs.

Iím thinking ex721 + Outlaw hubs, 36h rear + DT comp spokes, maybe super compÖ

mtbr member
    At 270 lbs and after years of smashing rims and breaking hubs, I have found nothing is better than ex721's, king 36 hole heavy duty hubs, DT spokes, brass (def not alu!) DT nipples and of course a nice tight wheel build. I couldn't afford the king's for years either, when I sold my house I bought a pair and they are more than worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I agree with Marky completly but it might be work looking at the EX819 or 823 being a slightly stronger "downhill" rim. King Hubs are the only way to go. At 300lbs I even think the 36h is overkill. They are worth every peny.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    on my 26er I had DT Swiss 5.1d's and they were stout with Hadley 32 hole hubs.

You could go up to DT Swiss 6.1d with not much weight gain and take on some more beating.

I'm now on my 29er with Stans Flows and 36 Hole Hadley hubs.
    Seem to be as stout as the 5.1d.

I'm 6'6", 270 without gear....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Another vote for the Outlaws. I seem to like them very much on my rig, and they are fairly inexpensive. Check ebay for a seller selling them for $199.

thread killer

Outlaws

I'm 6 foot 300#

I love my outlaw wheels. Mine are the new Red and I'm running tubless.
    I don't know if you can buy the hub seperate.
    One of the nice things is that they come with tha extra axles.
    do not loose the front 20mm caps!!!

The rear all so comes with a 12mm bolt on axle. And you can get a 12mm X 10 mm
    axle from azonic for about 20 bucks, so you can stiffen up the rear of your bike.
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

breaks everything.
    Mar 2009
    i've been on mavic ex729s for a few months and i couldnt be happier with their performance. now 260#, got them at 295#. small jumps (nothing big where i live) and lots of super fast cornering