mtbr member
    May 2011

Need opinion on bike riding style am I asking to get hurt ?

Hey you all I am a goof ball about the way I ride and wanted to be up front about it before I even post, I have been riding my bike alot more lately and I am getting fast at what I do but I am wondering if I am asking to much and headed for the emergency room.

First off I came of a wicked up CR 500 AF and always rode off road and MOTO X. So the bike thing is like slow but I love it and I am riding my bike everywhere I go as of late. I always ride like 20 to 30 MPH everywhere I go and ride 80 to 90 % road but take shortcuts and jump all the curbs and do light jumps and stairs.

Here is what I ride and here is what I want to do and any input is welcome. I ride a XXL RH 26 with MTX33's 29's with 40 cm tires and Hope Pro Hubs. I love the bike but I want to start jumping more and running up steps more at speed and I want to get rid of the front suspension fork and go with a real high quality tuff solid fork so I can lower the bike a little and run the normal size 29 tires for more tire to jump and run over steps and then put a 27.5 in the rear with a big tire as well.

I love my frame ride position and geometry and would like to keep that but being 6 foot 4 and 285 am I asking for problems like breaking the bike and getting screwed up, can my bike do this?

I come from a Custom CR 500 setup for me and on a motorcycle they just eat up what you throw at it but I get the feeling my bicycle may not be up to it.

Do I need to build a custom bike to be able to do this, I do not like to slow down and just run up and down and jump stuff and the Cr 500 had no problems with that.

I am going faster and want to throw more tougher obstacles into the mix but am afraid of getting hurt that is all, any comment is welcome.
    Last edited by Realslowww; 09-15-2013 at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
    First off I came of a wicked up CR 500 AF and always rode off road and MOTO X. So the bike thing is like slow but I love it and I am riding my bike everywhere I go as of late. I always ride like 20 to 30 MPH everywhere I go and ride 80 to 90 % road but take shortcuts and jump all the curbs and do light jumps and stairs.
    I also came from a dirt bike MX back ground as do several others here. I am 6'4" and 225 lbs. I recognize my mtb doesn't have the strength to take the abuse I dished out to my dirt bike. Removing the suspension from your mtb will make that worse - not better. (The suspension spreads the load out instead of hitting the bike with a sharp jolt.) But you can ride anyway you want to ride. IMHO mtb are incredibly tough.

That said - you *WILL* break parts (frame, wheels, etc.) at some point. It is just a matter of time. It is up to you to make sure you check your bike over before you abuse it. Most parts will fail somewhat slowly so you have a chance to catch a crack before it becomes a two piece frame. Dirt bike parts fail too. But since they start off bigger and heavier they take more abuse than mtb parts.

As far as getting hurt - you will at some point. Again it is up to you to limit the damage by being somewhat smart about what you do. I have been hurt worse in stupid little 'fall overs' than bombing over a drop someone said was unrideable. But I still look at each 'feature' and decide if I want to ride it or not. If you want to avoid getting hurt - don't do anything but sit on the couch and watch TV. But then you will get fat and have a heart attack so you swap one set of problems for another.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
    I always ride like 20 to 30 MPH everywhere I go
    No you don't.