mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Need new wheelset for XC

Semi new member, first post in the Clydes. I'm approx 230lb 6"2 and I've got a fairly new set of Mavic Crossride UB/Disc. I having heaps (and heaps) is issues with wheels working their way out of true, and I haven't riden offroad since I last got them retentioned. I know they are a two cross 24 spoke wheel, been told I should prob look for 32 or 36 hole and def 3 cross.

Let's say in the $200-$400 per set. Really looking forward to your suggestions

Tá mé ar meisce.
    I am usually on the plus side of 240lbs and I have had very few issues with hope hubs laced to stan's flows. I usually go 36h rear 32h front. They might be a little out of your range but it might be worth it to pay the extra money for the peace of mind. I will tell you that I had velocity blunts and I hated them. They seemed very flexy.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

mtbr member
    I got a set built up at CRC earlier this year. Hope Pro II's, Mavic 719's, DT Competition 2.0/1.8 spokes, and DT brass nipples. They cost me just over $300 at the time. I think their prices have gone up, but I bet you can still get them for under $400. I weigh a little more than you, and I've got 32 spokes front and rear. Haven't had a single issue with my wheels at all. I mash through a lot of rock gardens, and I take jumps/drops up to 4'. I weigh 235lbs.

You could customize a set from BWW. I almost got mine from there, but I chose Hope hubs over their Pure XCR hubs. Search around on their site and see what else they have. Or you could always call them and see what they would recommend for your size and riding style.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Heb48
    Semi new member, first post in the Clydes. I'm approx 230lb 6"2 and I've got a fairly new set of Mavic Crossride UB/Disc. I having heaps (and heaps) is issues with wheels working their way out of true, and I haven't riden offroad since I last got them retentioned. I know they are a two cross 24 spoke wheel, been told I should prob look for 32 or 36 hole and def 3 cross.

Let's say in the $200-$400 per set. Really looking forward to your suggestions
    Check out BWW...I personally would go with the Mavic 819 UST wheelset (even if your not going tubeless) as the rim is super stiff. The base wheelset is with XT hubs and DT Comp spokes/brass nipples.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am 220 lbs and i got a set of Hope pro II hubs,EX5.1D Rims and DT competition spokes.I've got 32 spokes front and rear.

Slowly shrinking
    Apr 2009

Mavic

In my experience......................crossrides ...hopeless for large lads...but crossmax are great ....240lbs never need tweeking ....even after aggressive xc....

Not cheap though.........

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks heaps for all your comments, I'll look into it further and get back with the results.

Gotta do something cos re-trueing the wheel each week is not really fun, and riding should be awesome!!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hi guys, still looking, now thinking of going for an Mavic EN521 rim laced to something nice (not sure what the nice hub is yet). Not quite All mountain terrain, but the strength of wheel that I don't have to worry about. I also like the fact that the rim has a taller profile, although only a little, should mean less lateral flex. It will be heavier but I'm prepared to live with that, just ride harder!!! Any thoughts?