mtbr member

Need a new stem and headset, CLYDE STRONG

Whats going on ladies and gents, hope all of you are back on the trails (those on the east coast know what I'm talking about). But anyway, while riding on the weekend I noticed that I needed a new stem (a shorter one with rise)-killer pain. Can anyone help me figure out which stem i should focus on? i have been looking at the Raceface Diabolus, Thomson X4 Stem, and Tru Vativ Hussefelt and Holzfeller Stems. Which of these is more of a fit for a 6'1 279 lbs. rider on a 06 HOO KOO E KOO. While i was thinking of switching components, thought it would be a great time to get a new headset. Looking at Chris King Steel Headset, do you guys think that the steel would be too big or long for the 06 HKEK? Please make suggestions or give thoughts.
    [SIZE=2]No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time.
    James A. Baldwin
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Those stems will all work - I'd recommend the Thomson as it's the lightest and plenty strong, personally I run the Diabolus because it has flames on it.

The Steel set is overkill for you. It's only needed for abusive hucking. If you want a cheap burly headset, get the FSA Pig DH Pro. If you want the best headset made, get a standard Chris King.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Unith, go with the Thomson X4 stem. It has a 31.8 mm clamp size, so it will work with the Bontrager Crowbar Select OS handlebar that came on your '06 HKEK. Some of the other stems you mentioned (like the Diabolus) have only a 25.4 mm clamp size. This would require changing your handlebars accordingly, and the bigger clamp size gives a much more solid feel for clydes anyway. The X4 is also very light for an OS stem.

As for sizing, your curent stem is 105 mm and has 7 degrees of rise. I'd go with the 100 degree (10 degree rise), 100 mm version of the Thomson X4. The higher rise and shorter length will take some of the weight off your hands. The GF Genesis geometry stretches riders out and, for many riders, shifts too much weight forward, which is the cause of your pain.

FWIW, my HT is an '06 HKEK also. I'm 6'1" and 225 lbs. I've left the stem stock for now, but I'll most likely be switching it out for the same one I recommended for you. I run the Thomson X4 on my Turner Flux and like the solid feel up front without the weight penalty.

As for the headset, you don't need steel. Go with the standard Chris King NoThreadset. You won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Thanks For The Ideas Tlud
    [SIZE=2]No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time.
    James A. Baldwin
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TLud
    Some of the other stems you mentioned (like the Diabolus) have only a 25.4 mm clamp size.
    All four stems mentioned come in 31.8 (Thomson and Diabolus also come in 25.4). My Diabolus is a 31.8.

mtbr member
    thanks "water"
    James A. Baldwin
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I also recommend Thomson 31.8 with the Easton composite bars

surly and rigid
    Apr 2004
    Thomson Stem for sure. Avoid Carbon bars you just or thats my opinion just dont need my hefty ass putting pressure on them. I use either a King headset if I have $ but if not FSA Pig is the sure winner I get 4 or 5 seasons out of one headset that costs like 28 bucks retail. 1/4 inch ball bearings.