mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Need a new front fork

Any suggestions for a new front fork. Building a Yet 575 from the ground up and i roll about 250lbs. I ride aggressive xc no freeride or anything. I am only building once (according to my wife) . Any ideas would be of help. I was looking toward Marzocchi or Fox.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I can tell you as a fellow clyde that you cant go wrong with a Reba or Fox. The Reba is as stiff as my fox and costs a great deal less new on ebay. The 'zoke is up to the task but their stanchions are 30mm versus 32 and the flex is noticeable. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just built a stumpjumper FSR with a rockshox revelation dual air and I've been REALLY happy with it so far. If you don't want the 130mm travel, you could get the air u-turn version that lets you adjust it down to 85mm. Very stable and strong fork. I'm 285lbs BTW and I don't have the air maxed out. It's very plush, not too soft though.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by johnandjerri
    Any suggestions for a new front fork.
    As opposed to a rear fork?

I put an RS Pike coil on my build. It was the first year they were out, and the price was really low. I think they've proven themselves, and I would buy another one at the current rate without hesitation. However, I think I would go with air this time to save some weight. It has some beefy stanchions, the maxle system is awesome, and the U-turn is nice. I know it's not one of the forks you were considering, but I just wanted to throw out another clyde worthy option.

ay Diablo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zook7
    The 'zoke is up to the task but their stanchions are 30mm versus 32 and the flex is noticeable. Good luck.
    All of marzocchi's upper end shocks have at least 32mm stanchions if not bigger, and are stiff as hell. Only there lower end stuff like mx comp/pro, mz and below have 30mm stanchions. FYI
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

Freshly Fujified

Yep, 32mm stanchins are advised

If 115 mm travel is suffice, Reba is a good choice and as stated, cheap on ebay. I can attest to the flexiness of Marzocchi's 30mm stanchions as I had an '04 Marathon S (120mm). As much as I loved the performance of the damping, it flexed. I also had an '03 Z-1 Freeride (130mm), and it was as stiff as could be, but very heavy. I have a Fox Vanilla RLC (125mm) right now, and it seems to have the right balance of stiffness and weight for me at 250 lbs.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

dontcha?
    The RS Domain/Lyric are great forks, although they might be more travel then you want (i have a totem 2-step on my dh/fr bike and it's super nice so far).. I have a '04 Marz Z1 Freeride SL on my xc/am bike and it's treated me well also.
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by farmboybunk
    All of marzocchi's upper end shocks have at least 32mm stanchions if not bigger, and are stiff as hell. Only there lower end stuff like mx comp/pro, mz and below have 30mm stanchions. FYI
    Good info farmboy. Just checked out Marzocchi's new lineup and,yes, they have 32mm stancions on all the decent xc forks. The only drawback I see is even the xc700 weighs 4.2 lbs!! Pretty hefty for a higher end xc fork. And Marzocchi is notorious for weighing without the steerer. Anyways, thanks for the heads-up.

ay Diablo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zook7
    Good info farmboy. Just checked out Marzocchi's new lineup and,yes, they have 32mm stancions on all the decent xc forks. The only drawback I see is even the xc700 weighs 4.2 lbs!! Pretty hefty for a higher end xc fork. And Marzocchi is notorious for weighing without the steerer. Anyways, thanks for the heads-up.
    Ya, that is the drawback with marzocchis. They are a tad on the heavy side, but usually tough as nails. I don't get why marzocchi weighs their forks with out the steerer (well I guess I do, because then it makes their forks seem lighter), since no one I know can ride it that way .
    Bunk
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    johnandjerri,

I'm also riding a Yeti 575 and I'm also a clyde @ 220lbs without gear. I highly recommend the Pike 454 Air UTurn for this bike. IMO, it's the perfect balance between weight, stiffness (has 20mm TA), travel (110-140mm), plushness and tunability. It's matches very well with the RP23 rear shock to make for a well balanced ride. Check out the Yeti forum and check out the feedback from people who have the Pike with the 575. Not one negative thing to say about it on that frame.

I had originally gone with the 07 Fox Vanilla RLC (140mm) and was disappointed by the brake dive that I experienced with it. Fox does not make a spring stiff enough for anyone over 215lbs for the 140mm vanilla. I wish I knew that before I bought it.

If you do go with the Pike then you will also need to either upgrade the front wheel w/ a 20mm hub or just upgrade the entire wheelset w/ a 20mm front hub. The 20mm TA really stiffens up the fork and is very noticeable. I didn't think that the 140mm vanilla was flexy, but I immediately noticed the stiffness of the Pike. IMO, anyone over 200lbs will feel the difference in a 20mm TA setup.

I hope this helps. Good choice in bikes too!

HammerHead
    FOX F80RLC or F90RLC, have been using on my Stumpjumper for 5,000 miles over +/-400,000' of elevation and no problem at all. Light, stiff, with lockout. My weight varies between 220-230LBS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for your help.