mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Need a new bike.

So. About 2 years ago I bought a walmart bike. I have not ridden since I was about 15-16. I am now 23 hitting 24. I am 5'11" about 265lb or 275lb.

I had a schwinn mens link.
    I cannot post pictures, you can google it.

When I ride, I do light trails, but I like heading fast in medium gears to get going and hit hills etc. I also like to stand and crank the pedals hard. I hate sitting and riding.

I was browsing the forum and I like hybrid and mountain bikes, and I was wondering if anyone more experienced than I can recommend a bike to me that I will not destroy but I can ride the way I like to.

I have a budget of about $450-$650 ($650 if I can sell off something from my other hobby)

Right now I am looking at
    Front Suspension Hybrid Adventure 29er Bikes
    2013 Motobecane Elite Adventure X5
    Save up to 60% off new Hybrid Bicycles | Adventure Hybrid 29er Bikes Elite Adventure Sport Trail

2013 Motobecane
    Elite Adventure X5
    Sale $449.95

the price is something I am willing to take a tiny hit on if it will be the perfect fit.
    Hybrid/Mountain bikes please

Can someone help me out here?

PS: I have been doing about 10 miles or so a day hitting the paved paths and then the loose dirt, gravel, tree rooted wooded path that I love so much.
    Last edited by PrivateProperty; 09-26-2012 at 08:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just want to let everyone know, I am not a bot. I really do need help finding a new bike... I dont want to take off too many days from riding, so that I can actually stick with it and not let my daily workout fall by the wayside.

Any input and help would be extremely helpful!

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well the LBS, now that i know some of the terminology, talked me into a Trek Marlin 29er. I have bought it yet, I am getting the cash together and wanted opinions first. Will this be a good for for my description above?

mtbr member
    I'm about your same size, don't be afraid of breaking your bike. Just buy a well built one. stay away from big box stores. buy something you like so every time you look at it you want to ride. LBS vary a ton, find one you like that's locally owned. They IMO provide better service and will back you on any warranty issues.

I like specialized personally, but I think if you stay with a major brand (specialized, trek, cannondale etc) you'll get a well made bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by md247 View Post
    I'm about your same size, don't be afraid of breaking your bike. Just buy a well built one. stay away from big box stores. buy something you like so every time you look at it you want to ride. LBS vary a ton, find one you like that's locally owned. They IMO provide better service and will back you on any warranty issues.

I like specialized personally, but I think if you stay with a major brand (specialized, trek, cannondale etc) you'll get a well made bike.
    Thanks for the help!
    The LBS here only sells trek / fisher bikes as their big name ones. I was looking on craigslist for a specialized but nothing in the area, price range, or size for me, and the warranty's are important to me.

mtbr member
    Good luck, post up your new ride once you get it.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Stick with what your LBS sells. We aren't talking high end cross country racing bike, so there are not many differences between brands at that price level. By buying from them and building a relationship with them, your LBS will prove to be a valuable asset in your riding and weight loss goals (biking will, however, be a liability to the size of your wallet because it is an addiction).
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Stick with what your LBS sells. We aren't talking high end cross country racing bike, so there are not many differences between brands at that price level. By buying from them and building a relationship with them, your LBS will prove to be a valuable asset in your riding and weight loss goals (biking will, however, be a liability to the size of your wallet because it is an addiction).
    I do realize that, My other hobbies have sucked up all my cash so I am trying to sell of something from them in order to get the bike.

Just riding my schwinn "walmart bike" for the past two weeks before it broke brought me back to the feeling of when I was younger and would ride my single speed everywhere! It was a few years after that I got my first mountain bike and enjoyed that even more. When I was younger that was also a walmart bike, but they seem cheaper made now than they used to be.

I just cannot wait to get back out onto the trails but I need to sell something first so I can get my new bike.

Any idea what I can do with my old schwinn? The petals are coming out of the frame and the chain is scraping against the frame, may be something is bent. I have no idea how much it would be to fix but I am thinking of just selling it as is needs repair, or could I ask more if I fix it?

Thanks.

-PP

mtbr member
    ok here is what i learned mail order bikes are not that bad, but some of the customer service and sale people are you can get bad customer service any where, Im just getting imto biking after a long time of racing cars and anything with a motor. I have gotten poor customer service when i was ordering a part from off line if its not at my local spped shop and i got it at the local speed shop. IMOP just do a little research the pros of online ordering good if not great prices on last year or discontinued models cons if you are not good with basoc tools you will have to go to bike shop for tune ups. If you order offline check to see if you can get parts from your local bike shop but understand they may tell you they cant when they can get parts because they want you to buy locally. Thats my look at it.