Thread: Need new bike

mtbr member

Need new bike

I'm getting back into the sport after a 10 yr hiatus. I want a FS 29'er. I'm 6'6" @ 250lbs. I ride trails/single track. Can I get what I want for under 2K? Suggestions? thx, Paul

T
    I don't know of anything under $2K, but throw in a few hundred more and there are some out there. Trek HiFi and Rumblefish start out under $2.5K. Both are great bikes and come in frame sizes up to 23".

mtbr member
    Ok, let's say under 3K..lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I picked up my new Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er at the LBS for $2400 last Saturday. No real miles on it yet but it sure is purdy.

Gary
    Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid, Taste Great... Oh Yeaahh!

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by All_talk
    I picked up my new Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er at the LBS for $2400 last Saturday. No real miles on it yet but it sure is purdy.

Gary
    I just picked up the same bike last week for $2070 (sorry, not trying to one up you) and I did ride it this weekend and it ROCKS!!!

See what kind of deal you can get. You might check out the GF Rumblefish and the Giant Anthem X 29er 3 too

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    At $2070 was that the 2011 or left over 2010? Either way you got a great deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm 6'5" ~210#

I have the 2010 FSR 29er in expert trim. I love the bike (the brain works pretty well). However, I started riding @ over 300lbs and I've had some minor issues with the palls in the free hub "skipping". My LBS replaced 'em and I haven't had a chance to get out and see if that fixed it...

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by All_talk
    At $2070 was that the 2011 or left over 2010? Either way you got a great deal.
    2011, on sale...I couldn't believe it as I expected to pay $2400

mtbr member
    "I picked up my new Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er at the LBS for $2400 last Saturday. No real miles on it yet but it sure is purdy"

Just checked this bike out @ the shop...look's like it could be the ONE

mtbr member
    Checked out the Rumblefish today.Looks like a better bike, better shock and fork..little more money, but I'm leaning toward it.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by tallpaul47
    Checked out the Rumblefish today.Looks like a better bike, better shock and fork..little more money, but I'm leaning toward it.
    The Rumblefish actually has a lower spec than the Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er...fork, rear derailleur, cassette, and brakes are all lower. The rear shock is debatable.

Don't get me wrong, the Rumblefish looks like a great bike but if some sales guy told you it was spec'd better then they're not being very truthful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The Rumblefish 1 was my other option as well, pluses for RF to me are the 143mm rear hub/thru axel APB and maybe the rear shock. But it’s only a 2-position compressing damper and the Stumpy is a 3-position (which I’m already using all 3 settings). I was also a little reluctant to give up the 3ed chain ring, but so far that’s not been an issue, the SJ has the granny I need and I’ve only run out of top end going down hill on pavement. Where the stumpy won out for me was component spec (I think it’s a little higher than the RF) and the travel 130mm to the RF at 120mm/110mm. And my LBS hooked me up $300 less that the RF and gave me 50% off pedals, shock pump and Shoes.

I think both are winners and the both felt good on the parking lot test ride. For my size/weight I took what I believe is good advice and bought a bike that one step above the durability/travel for the terrain I normally ride. I think both bikes are tough enough, but I think the extra travel of the SJ will let me get away with a slightly plusher setting for small/medium bumps without heavy bottoming on bigger hits.

Gary

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Paul, sent you a PM