Thread: Need a new Bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Need a new Bike

Hey , I'm new to this forum (first post) and would like ANY suggestions on a mountain bike. As a Clydesdale, first time I heard this was when I came to this forum, I'm 6'1 330 ex football player. I was very active untill my wife and I decided to start a family. It has been about 6 years since I have done any kind of exercise. My friends have recently got into mountain biking and it is what i want to do. I really dont have a price range but I am not going to go overboard. My friends are no where the size I am so I can't ask them.
    thanks
    mike

mtbr member
    I just went through this, and as a complete n00b myself, I reserve the right to be completely wrong here, and assume someone with much more experience will correct anything that is bogus so here goes...

First, what is your budget. Generally, you are looking at about $500+ for an entry level hardtail, $1000+ for an entry level FS.

Second figure out what you want. Rim vs Disc Brakes, 7, 8 or 9 cassette, Front Fork type (lockout/no lockout, coil/air, travel, etc), single wall vs double wall rims, 26" vs 29" rims. Prioritize these because you probably won't get everything you want on a single bike unless budget isn't an issue. Pick the bike that has most of the features you want for the best price.

Finally, hit your LBS and try them out. This will help you figure out what size bike (or rather frame) will fit you. Chances are, you will want to buy from the LBS as opposed to online, because they will offer discounts on gear and often throw in free maintenance for a year or so. Box store bikes LOOK decent but are generally inferior parts, and only come in one frame size for any particular model. Many aren't even designed for off-road riding

Ride a bunch that meet your criteria and go with your gut. You will know almost instantly when you find one that gels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    at 6'1" you will likely want a Large or X-Large frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    People haven't fully chimed in. However, give some information on the kinds of trails you'll be likely to ride on, your riding style and your budget.

i.e.
    gravel fire road, no climbing cruising riding

Single track small roots, rock gardens. moderate climbing

Technical XC

Down hill free ride (good luck with this... You'll break almost anything)

Information like this helps people give you advice on trade offs between weight, performance and cost. The possibilities are nearly endless.

Lastly, you'll want a bike shop to do a full fitting. It makes a HUGE difference. There's no use getting a bike if it doesn't fit properly. You'll end up sore from an improperly fitting bike and won't enjoy riding nearly as much...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well as a noob I totally forgot all the things I wanted to write. So ok here it goes.
    As for a price range... You get what you pay for so ill go to 2000.00. More if i have to to get absolute quality. I dont want to break stuff and have to make a long walk back. I want a hard tail I feel that you get more power to the ground that way. I would like a lockout front and a 29" wheel but dont thave to have a 29 if the 26 is stronger I'll go with that. Disc brakes all the way and hydraulic if i can get them. My riding style will ne moderate at first but it will get more agressive as i get more confortable with the bike, myself and as I loose weight. The trails will start out on a hard packed gravel trails. I have 100 miles of this trail out my back door. Then again as I loose weight and get more in shape go to a more dirt single track climbing and roots.
    I heard the Kona Hoss was the way to go but isnt made anymore. then I heard Orange but they are in the UK . I am not just into brand names. Trek is made right he in my state and I like the specialized. Gary Fisher looks like it is a expensive Trek. I would like to go into my LBS having an idea what I want and I figured that the Clydesdale forum and fellow clydesdales will know the way they go.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    2k can buy a hell of a bike so take some time and make a wise choice. I started this year at 365, I am now at 286. I have gone a little crazy this summer. I bought a motobecane fantom sl 29er hardtail, redline monocog single speed 29er and most recently a Pivot Mach 429 FS rig.

I know you are starting out on gravel trails, but have the cognisance to think further on down the road to where you may be riding 6 months from now, you might just save more money in the end... Hardtails are nice, but at 2k you are in nice FS 29er territory. Fisher HIFIs and new Salsa Spearfish.

Maybe I am just projecting my own regrets on spending, but at least I got a bike for almost every occasion. Just one more, I keep telling the wife as I research road bikes. hahahaha

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I think I'm going to go with the hard tail. then when Im better in shape I will build a FS like a Pivot or Divinci or something along those lines. If i end up spending $1000 or around there i would be able to spend more on the second bike. Thats just the way i think. As for the wife thing she doesnt say much about what i spend. She has been with me long enough to know that i pretty much go all out when i do something. I'm not a person that starts and not finishes.
    I was looking around on this forum and noticed that others say not to get a FS until my weight is under 280.
    Last edited by ls16spdz99; 10-30-2010 at 05:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I agree fully with going hardtail. Im 265 and on a full suspension and wishing I had a grand to spend on a better shock and fork, the bike was 1600 and still needs the upgrades. Make sure the front fork is a high quality air unit, something like a fox f series or rock shox reba. The air offers infinite adjustments so that you can tailor it to your preference as your lose weight, the coil spring and cheaper units wont be sufficient at your weight. Also you will want to look for a strong crankset and bottom bracket. Before you buy the bike (whatever you end up deciding on) ride it pretty hard in the parking lot and watch the cranks, if they bend and flex a lot then you might try something different or find out what an upgrade would cost. Wheel size is important but as long as you get double walled it wont matter what size they are. I would only consider disk brakes and hydraulic is definitely a plus but not a deal breaker, if the options were avid bb5 mechanical or tektro augro hydraulic I would go bb5 just because they offer the same stopping power and less maintenance, if you can get avid hydraulics I wouldnt look back. Im sure I left something out but this is what I have learned in my time of being a clyde. Im sure your in the same boat as me, always been big and always gonna be big. Muscle and height are two things im not giving up so I guess we gotta deal with it, lol. Good luck to ya and post some pics when you finally pick her up. Oh yea, I would look into a santa cruz with your budget, a lot of guys ride them around here and there very well optioned right out of the box. The chameleon with the R am kit comes in pretty close to budget and has everything I mentioned above or better, http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/chameleon/#builder.php

mtbr member
    For a 1k hardtail, I would look at a Motobecane Fantom Pro SL 29er, reba air shock, avid hydros, decent crank, xtr derailleur. Nice bike. I have had once for 6 months and like it. Dont be intimidated by assembly, if you can turn an allen key you can assemble this bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I mite be old school here but i remember when Santa Cruz was a skate board company. If the santa cruz bikes are well made bike i would consider buying one . I like the chamelon, good looking bike. Do they perform as good as they look???

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am not intimidated by assembly at all. I have done 2 frame off restorations of cars. i am a machinist for my real (using that term loosely) job and I have a 10 second 1/4 mile 02 camaro.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ls16spdz99
    I mite be old school here but i remember when Santa Cruz was a skate board company. If the santa cruz bikes are well made bike i would consider buying one . I like the chamelon, good looking bike. Do they perform as good as they look???
    Yea, there solid. Look at the gussets and the welds. The drop outs are huge and the frame size is beefy too. I put a friends through its paces and my Fuji Outlander feels like a toy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I think will have to pull the trigger on one but the closest dealer is in Arlington IL. 70 miles from me.

Dirt Deviant
    I would stay away from a 29er until you drop the weight down a bit.
    I tried out a 29er at close to your weight, and those long spokes that make up the big wheels are gonna be WAY to flexy.
    It was downright scarry.
    A chameleon with a good wheel build and X7 groupo would be right up your alley. Throw in some hydros and you are good to go.
    You'll most likely want 8" front and 7" rear rotors for the brakes.
    Fox fork would be good....if it had a 20mm thru axle that would be even better....you'll pretty much be maxing out the air pressure in any rock shox fork you run.
    You will need Air suspension. They don't make springs strong enough for us UBER CLYDES!!!!!!

EDIT to say that there are some UBER CLYDES that are running RS forks and not having any problems......but I have had really good luck with fox stuff. Manitou has been good as well.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Clydesdale 29er
    I started at 350 pounds on a Novara 29er hardtail and now that I'm 270 pounds I have
    progressed to a Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe. The 29er wheels have not been a problem
    for me. Now the freehub bodies are another story. I have exploded three of those and
    two seat posts. Upgraded the rear hub and got a Thomson seat post and no worries
    lately, DON'T buy anything with a RS Dart fork. They are not for our weight class.
    MxV=Clydesdale

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for all the help guys. It is greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hi team,

Im new to all this forum stuff but am lookin for the low down and this seems to be the place to get it.
    Im 6'7" 225lb (Im acutally from the land of the metric system but I think thats about right) and am trying to work out what to get in a new full sus rig. currently on an xl (22inch) 08 trance x2 which Im guessin is a bit small but was my first ride so have no basis for comparision.

Suggestions appreiciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well you are totally different from me your tall and skinny and I'm short and fat. I wouldn't know what to tell ya. but this is where you would find out. Lots of good people here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Overlooked brands

First off, good intentions don't equal desired results. Is the bike going to be like the treadmill or the elliptical machine that just takes up space or are you actually going to use it. You can loose weight on a wal-mart bike. (not suggesting that) Do lots of research, not hours, weeks, even a month or more. I went to LBS rode treks in my range, nice bikes but my range was quickly reached and I still had none of the features I wanted in a hard tail. First, you don't need a FS. Being new and big you are not going to be catching much air for the first couple years if ever. Go to Shimano's. Research all components of a bike, read reviews and go to manufacturers web sites to see were they rank. Being large you really really want to have DISC hydro breaks. After you are familiar with all components of mountain bikes, decide which components are best for you, including frame. From my research most frames are made by two companies, both overseas. I can write this not because I have decades of experience but because I recently went through the process myself and have had great experience. Someone talked me into looking at some "less known" brands out there. Brands other than trek, specialized, giant, all who make good bikes but there are other manufacturers out there too. I found Motobecane. I found a moto with all the specs I was looking for in a trek for roughly half the price of a trek from the LBS. Know it helps that I have a guy I know who works on bikes so I don't need the LBS. Know what you want in a bike, then at least give bikesdirect.com a chance. They were very good to me. By the way, I will never regret going with a 29er.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    sorry should have made myself more clear, by "first ride" i meant my first bike ive had that for about three years and have loved it.
    like i said its a little small so am on the look out for bikes that are bigger. the other problem ive got is that in order to get a bike the store has to order them in. normally this wouldnt be a problem but im from new zealand which means that if bike stores are gonna order in a ridiculously big bike that they prob wont be able to sell they will make me pay a deposit. therefore Im looking for all the advice and info I can before taking the plunge.

Members who have read this thread: 0