mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Need a little advice from fellow Clydesdales... :)

I'm about 6'1 and 250lbs (give or take a few).

Looking to get back into biking and have been looking at the following list (one from a LBS and one from mail-order):

a) Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc '06 hardtrail

vs

b) GT IDXC 3.0 '05 full-suspension

Now I was all set on the Rockhopper since it seems fairly HD and can take a lot of abuse... but then found a site with a great deal on the GT... which put it at the same price as the Rockhopper.

Any larger riders using any of the GT IDXC bikes and if so - any problems?

Thanks in advance!

Freshly Fujified

Both nice bikes

Not crazy about the Manitou Black fork on the GT, but for my money, I'd buy it if it were new and the same price as the Rockhopper. Worst case scenario, you buy a better fork, and sell the Black to defer some of the cost. Mind you, the black is a decent fork, so long as you get a good one.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Bob - thanks for the info!
    Rockhopper has the Rock Shox Tora 318... so it's a decent fork this year on it.

My main concern is breaking something on the frame... there are a few spots on the rear triangle on the GT that look a little weak... which is why I figured I'd ask around. If someone here has one and is 300lbs and had no problems with it... I'd feel safe

Since the GT wouldn't be bought local... would be a pain if something broke.

Fat, but working on it...
    I rode a 2001 (?) I-Drive for three seasons. I loved it. Never had a single problem. Mine had a Rock Shox Duke SL on it, though. I'm about 250 or so, and it didn't have a single problem holdig up under me. I never jumped more than over small rocks and logs though, so I can't attest to the durability of the frame. But, I'm hard on bikes, and aside from scratches in the finish, it's still going strong.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cool thanks for the info! Would the '01 I-Drive frames be about the same as the newer ones? Is that bike made before GT went under briefly?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I watched the videos on the GT website for I-Drive maintenance where the dude takes the rear triangle off the bike and then puts it back on... eeek! There are some narrow spots on the bottom of that triangle, right below the crank area. Looks like there isn't much material there and it's just waiting to snap!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    OttawaMTB was on the mark. Cracked the frame on my IDXC 2.0 ' 04 (size XL) between the 2 pivots, just above the lower pivot. 500 miles, cross country riding. GT replaced it ASAP, no questions. Time will tell if it was bad material or design. Noticed the newer versions have apparently been improved and the i-drive 5's have significantly more mass there = stronger?. 6' 3" 220 lbs ding!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    When I was researching bikes (when....actually, I'm already looking at what I'm going to buy next ), I did hear that some of the GT I-Drive bikes had a problem with cracking I-Drive part of the frame. Don't know if Pacific Cycles has addressed that or not. I can say that the system works -- breaking and peddal bob are flawless (as far as the rear suspension is concerned). I can also say that I have a bike with a related system (Schwinn Rocket Pro) that so far seems to be holding up very well under my weight (285 pounds). See this thread to see what I've been putting that bike through. Fighting an addiction