mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Need info for a big friend

I've done a lil research on here and seem to find different suggestions for different weights so I figured it best to get your guys thoughts on this specific scenario.

My buddy is 5'11" and 300 pounds. He wants to start riding to lose a lil weight. He's in a dessert town but at least for now most of his riding will be on road with his kids. Once he gets in better shape he'd maybe try a dirt trail or two.

I've read that wheels and hubs seem to be the biggest concern and that suspensions that support the weight are rare or expensive. So for his case should he just get a rigid to avoid the suspension problem or do large people need the suspension? Steal or aluminum? Maybe buy a semi cheap bike and buy some serious wheels?

I'd assume a 29 tire would handle the weight nicely cuz for me I can run a lower pressure but how is it on a flexy 29" wheel?

And lastly could you please point me toward a bike that fits into your recommendation. He's not a cheap skate but a 5k bike is likely out of the question.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hum...I'm thinking a decent entry level bike with some custom built wheels designed around his weight should work. I personally use a factory Cannondale Trail 7 and at 275lbs, it handles everything I dish out on the trails and I only spent $500 + tax.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks 50.

Any opinions on the 26 vs 29 for a big rider?

mtbr member
    JC,
    Not sure what your buddy is interested in but I bought a Surly Pugsley in October of 2011 at 6'1"/315lbs and I rode it on single track trails as well as forest service roads in all weather types, temps and conditions. Had very little problems at all with the bike and it lasted like a champ! I bought a Moonlander in June and have been riding it since and love both the bikes. I am now hovering at 240lbs for a loss of 75lbs as of this month.

Fatties would be Great for sandy terrain too! Might have him at least give them a look for a 26" option (with tire it ends up being right at 29" in overall diameter) or you could go Krampus for 29er+...

mtbr member
    +1 on the recommendation of a fat tire bike. You get a stronger 26" wheel with the outer diameter equal to a 29er, larger contact patch for more stability and traction...rudimentary suspension with the balloon tires so no worries about shocks...and EVERYBODY who buys one says they are so much fun, many people end up selling their other bikes.

A fatbike is likely to be my next bike purchase.

turtles make me hot
    A fatbike would be a great option for him.
    Or a rigid steel or aluminum frame with Salsa Gordo rims or a hardtail as long as he goes with an air fork.
    I guess he's looking to buy a complete bike and not build one?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah he doesnt know much about bikes (not that i do lol) and unfortunately we no longer live in the same state so a store bought bike would be best.

The fat tire bike sure sounds like it would work, However I have a hard time recommending something Ive never even used before. So ill give the option to him in case he wants to do more research on it.

I was thinking one of these dual sport bikes might not be a bad idea for him as it will be mostly used on the road. Where he lives some of the roads are dirt and it doesnt rain much. But I also dont know much about a 700c wheel. Trek says the bike is good to 300 pounds.
    8.1 DS - Trek Bicycle
    what do you guys think?

turtles make me hot
    It's probably fine.
    I'm a little jaded because I assemble bikes for people based on their needs and I specialize in bikes for big guys being one myself.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well I gave him a few options based on what you guys all told me including the fat bike. Thank you all for your help I may have more questions but I will certainly let ya know what he decided and Ill get him on the forum.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCapps View Post
    Thanks 50.

Any opinions on the 26 vs 29 for a big rider?
    I'm at about 280 and ride the hell out of my 2010 Rincon. I don't do drops and I don't jump, but I rise Northern Wisconsin and the Central U.P. and go just as fast as anyone and the bike is totally stock aside from some grips and a few minor cosmetic hoo dads... A big guy does not need to spend a butt load of money to get a serviceable bike.

Replace what breaks (if anything does) and be absolutely sure to keep the bike properly serviced and all should be well. My experience has also been that wheels tend to be the first problem on SOME stock bikes. The stock wheel sets on my Rincon have had to be trued once since I bought the bike.

I cannot speak to 29ers as I do not own one, but have pretty much found 26 inch wheels to be fairly durable as a whole. The Rincon is my 3rd real mountain bike, my 4th if you count the POS Huffy I rode for almost 3 years as my 1st "mountain" bike. I have never had to do anything but have the wheels on my Rincon trued...

Also, not doing something stupid and learning how to ride smoothly also help a lot.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCapps View Post
    He's in a dessert town...
    there's his problem. Your buddy either needs to lay off the pie or move to a salad town.
    Last edited by Gigantic; 11-04-2012 at 02:16 PM.

turtles make me hot
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by gigantic View Post
    there's his problem. Your buddy either needs to lay of the pie or move to a salad town.

:d:d:d
    I like turtles