mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Need help with new spring for fork.

Hey,
    Just bought a norco six with a Drop Off IV fork. I am 315 lbs and i swaped the dhx 3.0 rear shock for a custom tuned dhx 5.0 and that is working fine. The drop off iv is handleing the weight but i have to max the air to make it work. Anyone know where i can order a heaier spring for the fork? Norco says there isnt a heavier srping but I have faith that you guys can find me something :P

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wow 2 days and no one has any ideas?

mtbr member
    For fork parts I would look to the manufacturer of the fork, not the bike. Go here:
    http://www.marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/?LN=UK&Sito=mtb
    and send an email to customer care asking if there is a heavier ride kit available for your fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Similar Problem

I'm 235lbs. and more cross country. Just bought an Iron Horse with a Marzocchi MZ-1 Lockout fork. It works pretty good despite too much sag. I checked with Marzocchi and this being an OEM fork, they say there is no replacement spring, but I can't believe there is not another fork out there with the same spring. Anyone know if there are interchangeable springs for different Marzocchi fork models? I think Marzocchi just wants me to upgrade for their benefit.

at no charge...
    I just got the MZ1 fork on a new closeout bike this week. Here's what the manual says about adjustments.

"Spring preload by internal adjuster - Right leg
    Remove the protection cap and act on the adjuster with a 4mm Allen
    key.
    By turning the adjuster clockwise, you increase the preload value.
    By turning the adjuster counter-clockwise, you reduce the preload
    value." (prob could have figured that out.)

Would adjusting the preload help?

I weigh 220#, so I figured I'd have to do some adjustments sooner or later.

My last bike might as well have had a hard fork, the suspension was so bad. So to me, this fork rocks!

at no charge...
    Okay, I read further. (who would have thought)
    Spring preload
    The best spring preload is the one allowing you
    to obtain the desired SAG point due to the rider’s
    weight (par. 5.4 SAG).
    The preload spring may be adjusted, depending
    on the model, through mechanical adjusters or
    with pressurized air inside the fork’s leg.
    On the models provided with mechanical
    adjustment, each adjuster turn corresponds to a
    1mm spring compression.
    NOTE
    NOTE: The forks provided with preload
    mechanical adjustment are set to the minimum
    preload by the manufacturer, i.e. the adjuster
    knob is completely turned counterclockwise.
    However, the spring is slightly preloaded to
    help counteract static load.

That's exactly what I needed to hear. I'm going to start tightening my up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    i bought a manitou 2 from a guy and it had the firmest spring in it already,i weight 330lbs.,what i did was i bought another firm spring and went to a weld shop and had a piece of 3mm steel cut into a somewhat spacer ,i put the regular length spring in first then the spacer and got a dremel and cut a peice from the other one(spring) and pressed down on the cap and tightened it into the sanction.I have had no problems what so ever in the last year.

mtbr member
    I tried working with Marz before I bought the fork (they promised they'd help) and after I bought the fork they told me I shouldn't have bought it since it doesn't have a heavy spring.

I can say I will never buy another Marz fork with them leaving me high and dry.

Just plan to find and cut your own spring from another fork.

I just run the air to 65psi and once the seals blow I will just go back to manitou instead.

Once bitten, twice shy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    To answer your question. The drop off is a great fork but Zokes lowest end line of "hucking" forks very little adjsutments and no options.

I would strongly recomend you upgrading t a all mountain 1 series( With air preload) I run one with the recmended max PSI and I'm 300 lbs and the fork works great. The newer series is the 55 series and Jenson is blowing out some very cheap. The 55 is beefier stachions (35mm vs. the 32mm of the AM1) and still has the air assist.

Big guys like us really need the air assist to balance out the weight.

And I've called zokes C/S and tech meany times and have had nothing but great dealings with them. From them listening to me figure out what forks would work for my set ups to swapping out a too short steering tube. I own 5 zoke forks currently and just see no need for any other brand

07 DJ2
    08 66 RC3
    06 66 Vf2
    07 AM1

back up fork 03 Jr T still going strong!

mtbr member

nah

Quote Originally Posted by tonyl11
    To answer your question. The drop off is a great fork but Zokes lowest end line of "hucking" forks very little adjsutments and no options.

I would strongly recomend you upgrading t a all mountain 1 series( With air preload) I run one with the recmended max PSI and I'm 300 lbs and the fork works great. The newer series is the 55 series and Jenson is blowing out some very cheap. The 55 is beefier stachions (35mm vs. the 32mm of the AM1) and still has the air assist.

Big guys like us really need the air assist to balance out the weight.

And I've called zokes C/S and tech meany times and have had nothing but great dealings with them. From them listening to me figure out what forks would work for my set ups to swapping out a too short steering tube. I own 5 zoke forks currently and just see no need for any other brand

07 DJ2
    08 66 RC3
    06 66 Vf2
    07 AM1

back up fork 03 Jr T still going strong!

Tony I would disagree with you on the AM-1 - I too am running max air - 65psi and since there is no heavy spring this becomes a very non-linear setup in which you blow-by all of the spring travel on anything big and are left was a rock-hard air spring which serves only to keep you from going OTB. The max air also makes for a harsh ride on small high freq stuff.

Go with something in a dual coil with preload and heavy springs.