mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. Need help on a low budget

My fellow big men,

I myself am 6ft 320lbs and am needing to get into a budget bike. I have about $275 to spend and that's it. Unfortunately I am not in a position to save any more than that. I am extremely motivated and really just want to hit the road. I know everyone says not to buy a bike from Walmart, however with the budget I have I am not seeing any other options. In addition, living in northern California, bikes are not cheap, even used ones are way over priced. Any ideas and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for stopping by.

mtbr member
    That's tough. Maybe look at BikesDirect (there's several ok options for $299) or Bike Island. You might get something that's at least a tiny bit better than Walmart. Check with your LBS's too. They might have something sitting in the back collecting dust they can hook you up with. I'd say a Walmart bike on the road and groomed paths will be better than no bike at all. I'd at least take it to a shop and have them check it over for you to make sure it's together properly and tuned up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I am looking at the sites you suggested and to be honest I have no clue what I should even be looking for. I am a total noob. I used to ride bmx as a kid but haven't had anything but a beach cruiser since I was about 17. LOL.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would stop in to your LBS and tell them exactly what you posted. You never know what they'll have. A good quality used bike even if its older can sure put a smile on your face. While my main bike was down I put quite a few miles on an old mountain bike from the 80's, I enjoyed it.

mtbr member

RE: Need help on a low budget

I would check out the gravity single speed 29ers on bikes direct. They are great deal for price.
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express