mtbr member
    Aug 2018

need help finding a saddle that is appropriate for my larger size

Hello fellow big guys..(and tall ladies?? whatever hello everyone)

So I have been riding again for a couple months now and the Giant Contact saddle on the Anthem 29er I was given... just ain't going to cut it... it is not comfortable..

I'm 6'3" 265lbs .. I would appreciate hearing works for all y'all for a saddle for the bigger guy.

thanx much indeed for any help..

cheers.

this is my bike::

need help finding a saddle that is appropriate for my larger size-answer810_3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    First - you are wearing padded cycling shorts, right? Lycra under baggy if you have to, but padded chamois, right?

Good. Then get down to your LBS and see if they can measure you for a saddle. It's where your bones are that is important - nothing else. I tend to have 155mm saddles on the road - but my go to mtb saddle is the SDG Bel Air and that seems to still be a good fit for my bones.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That saddle looks very narrow, around 130 mm (though it's more likely around 140ish, picture is at a angle, so hard to tell). Also just flat. It's more about the overall shape and sitbone width than your size.

Read this, then measure your sitbones, then start looking and asking more specific questions so you can troubleshoot what type of saddle a little better.

Saddle Comfort and Bike Touring
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    I'm a believer in the Specialized Body Geo saddles. A Specialized dealer can measure your sit bones and get you into the corresponding saddle width, sometimes they even have test saddles you can take home and try. FWIW, I have three Specialized saddles on my bikes, a Power on my gravel bike, Phenom on my trail bike, and Henge on my fat bike, all in 155mm width. They work great. I'd give it a look.

turtles make me hot
    The other posters here are absolutely correct about getting measured. You'll get the best end result.
    On the other hand, I read on here that most Clydes like the WTB Pure V so I tried that and I have it on all of my bikes. It comes in a few different sizes and spec levels.
    DO NOT get the Comp with the steel rails. Get the Race or Team, whichever they call it with the chromoly rails. I've broken the steel ones many times. Switched to the chromo and no more breakage.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    wtb pure pro , chrom rails and dna padding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Delete
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    cheers everyone.. I'm going to see about getting a fitting for the correct saddle size .. I'm leaning towards that WTB Pure Saddle atm..

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    I've had great luck with WTB Pure, Volt, Koda and Rocket all come in a 148 width and work well with my large posterior. The most comfortable of the 4 would be the Pure or Rocker, followed by the Volt. The Koda I haven't been able to find a comfy position for riders lasting more than 30 mins. Plus all these saddles come in multiple price points so there is something for every budget. FWIW, I haven't found the pricier WTB saddles to much more comfy than their lower priced/spec'd counterparts.

Another good saddle I've used in past is the Ergon SMC3, sadly it was stolen with my bike. Super comfy on long rides, but more pricey than comparable WTB offerings.

Good luck, finding a comfy saddle can be a daunting/pricey task.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    ugh.. have to go closer to Los Angles apparently can't find any shops local that have the WTB pure or volt or anything around me in Ventura county..

blah... I really don't enjoy going into los angles but I may have no choice or just chance it and order online.. and hope it works.. (may do that actually)

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'll second the vote for Specialized saddles. The Henge fits my ass really well. I run them on 5 of my bikes plus their customer service is great!
    I had one where the shell cracked about 10 months after I bought it. The only proof of purchase I had was the bank transaction and they replaced it, no problem!

jcd's best friend
    I absolutely hate Giant Contact saddles. I had 2 Giant bikes that had them installed and they were a pain in the ass (literally). Not even my pads helped with the saddle! I actually like WTB saddles. I have the WTB Volt Comp (biggest size) and it's very comfortable.
    Trek Émonda SL6 | Octane One Prone 29

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    FWIW, I have used WTB Laser V's for the last ten years. I have them on all of my bikes and I've never had a more comfortable saddle. Its the one constant that follows any new bike I buy/build.