mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Need help with dual air fork for a big guy

I just got my first 29er and I love it but I am having trouble getting the air pressure right in the fork. I have a Reba SL so it is dual air and my old bike just had the Tora..I was hoping for some advice from some other big guys. I am 6 ft and weigh 265.

I currently have 210 in the + chamber and have not touched the - since I am unsure exactly where I want it to be

Thanks

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Which model Tora? I have the 318 Solo Air (26" version) and weigh about 265 as well. I think I run about 160psi in that one. I don't know if that carries over to the 29er model.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I had the 318 solo air on my old 26. I ran 200 lbs in that one...I also had it put up to 130 travel

29 some of the time...
    That pressure seems very high. You say you haven't touched the neg, do so . Let all the air out of the neg chamber. Set the positive chamber pressure to give you proper sag. Then pump the neg up to about 10psi less than the pressure in the pos. It is really a simple thing, but if you have too much air in the neg chamber things can start getting weird. Since you have over 200psi in the positive I am thinking that is the case you are running into.

At 240lb I usually put about 160psi pos and 150psi neg on my 29er reba.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

saddlemeat
    Try using 60% of your weight as a starting point, so 160 psi (for your 265 lbs) in the positive chamber, with 150 psi in the negative chamber. This formula worked well for me.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by LDSumpter17
    I had the 318 solo air on my old 26. I ran 200 lbs in that one...I also had it put up to 130 travel
    I believe the length of travel affects the pressure settings. On my 26" Tora 318 Solo Air, they have a table for the rider weight/travel/pressure settings on a sticker on the left leg of my fork that recommends 180psi for riders above 220lbs at the 100mm travel setting and recommends 220psi for riders above 220lbs at the 80mm travel setting. As with most air forks/shocks I have had, the recommended settings are usually a little stiff formy preferences even though I am well above 220lbs. Seems odd that you'd need 200psi at the 130mm setting (not covered on the sticker on my fork).

Of course these are merely suggested settings and I would just figure out what works best for you. For myself, I like to get about 20% sag (as I'm just riding along) on a fork for them to perform the way I like them to.

Everything I have heard about the suggests that people like the way the Reba works when they keep the positive and negative pressures within 5psi to 10psi difference at most.

How much sag are you running on the 29er fork and is there something about the fork's performance you aren't happy with?