mtbr member

Need forks, beating my head against a wall.

So went to lbs today to look at ordering new forks....

I'm 275lbs loaded on trek ht 29er

Was going to grab tower pro if possible but not in the specs I want. Discontinued. Makes me concerned about parts when/if I need them.

New version, Minute, for same pro version is >$600, wtf !?!?!?!? Tower pro at lbs price was $475...

Expert version $520....tower was <$400

So had him look up Reba's, $520 and comes with pump. Ok now were talking.

OUT OF STOCK!!!

My current RS xc32tk only complain is flex in the lowers. Got firmest spring they have for them and rides nice (based on my limited experience) for coil forks.

My biggest thing is 15mm thru axle, second is price as I have to buy hub/spokes since I am slow but effective at building wheels. Travel 100mm if taper or 100-120 non-taper (dont wanna throw my geo off much since I have 44mm ht).

Beyond that just reliable solid air fork (or air/coil) and easy to get parts when I need to service. Weight can stay at or below 2200 (about what current forks weigh)

Any help appreciated. Thnx
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Fat-tired Roadie
    RockShox Recon? Fox F-series?

Are you planning to swap the hub in an existing rim? Price a complete wheel too...

What about a different model of the Reba? There are a couple.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    All that fit my specs for Reba are out of stock at lbs. Both his distributors are out of stock (trek dealer) I prefer for major stuff to deal with him vs online. Haven't looked at fox cause everytime I do I see huge price tags.

Edit: oh ya checked on recons none available in 15mm qr.

Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Ok just caught some luck. Lbs (trek shop) did some further checking and found trek warehouse has new Reba in spec I want and g2 (so won't throw my geo off at all besides the headset for taper ht) for $30 cheaper. Plus being lowers look insanely similar (color, decal design) makes it easy to hide from the wife.

And on top of that found Shimano xt hub has the exact same flange dimensions as my slx qr hub, so no money for spokes.
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Fox vanilla?

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    RockShox Recon?
    are clydes having luck with the recon??? I hate mine
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL, I don't know. I weigh 146 lb and generally stay out of this forum.

What don't you like about it? I've been contemplating sticking one on the front of my old bike... Which version do you have?

mtbr member
    I'm curious about the recon issues as well. I ride an xc32 tk right now and only complaint is flex at the hub (rotor scrub issues and harder to hold line) and that's on 9mm qr. The whole reason im going 15mm thru axle

Wife caught on that I was about to order forks, she said I have to wait a couple weeks
    Trek Marlin 29er

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    LOL, I don't know. I weigh 146 lb and generally stay out of this forum.

What don't you like about it? I've been contemplating sticking one on the front of my old bike... Which version do you have?
    gold RL TK

solo air forks are pretty tough to get the right feel out of, you have to set the pressure pretty high to achieve proper sag and then you never use the full travel OR the fork rides too far into the travel most of the time and you bottom it out

I'm not that big compared to some riders here at 245#
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have a Reba RL on my nicer bike. It's one of the new ones, so Solo Air. I used sag to set pressure initially, but then I dialed it in based on travel used. I'm using the lowest pressure that doesn't give me harsh bottom-outs. Based on the little O-ring on the stanchion, I believe I'm using full travel.

Seems like I could do the same with a Solo Air Recon?

I can't remember if I ended up using more or less pressure ultimately. But I don't really care about sag per se.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Same weight range as the OP here. Having spent quite a bit of time on both the Tower, Fox F29 (open bath style) and Reba, for $80 difference, I would go for the Tower (now the Minute) Pro. The Tower/Minute Pro is one of the most underrated forks ever. I found the Reba and Fox F29 to be pretty similar. they're good forks, but it's harder to get full travel out of them, and they are not nearly as plush as the Manitou.

If the budget just can't be stretched to get the Manitou, the Reba is certainly a decent choice, as is the Fox. If the price is similar between those two, you may as well flip a coin as they are very similar in terms of actual performance IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Need forks, beating my head against a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Same weight range as the OP here. Having spent quite a bit of time on both the Tower, Fox F29 (open bath style) and Reba, for $80 difference, I would go for the Tower (now the Minute) Pro. The Tower/Minute Pro is one of the most underrated forks ever. I found the Reba and Fox F29 to be pretty similar. they're good forks, but it's harder to get full travel out of them, and they are not nearly as plush as the Manitou.

If the budget just can't be stretched to get the Manitou, the Reba is certainly a decent choice, as is the Fox. If the price is similar between those two, you may as well flip a coin as they are very similar in terms of actual performance IMHO.
    +1. A quick search on eBay yielded quite a few results. The Clydesdale thread has lots of tuning tips too.

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    If looking for a value shock, the rockshok Recon Silver TK has steel stanchsions so it will be stiffer than the more XC oriented shocks. It's whats on my 14' Trek Stache 7 and it's pretty nice in the stiffness department. G2 Geo.

I'm not sure if the Revelation RCT3 can be had in the G2 Geo. The RS website is pretty terrible for getting measurement info easily.
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

JHH
    mtbr member
    I'm 25 lbs lighter than ya but I ride a Fox Float CTD 120 and it's been a great fork. I took the time to learn the fine tuning variables and it made a huge difference in traction, control and travel.

There are certain parts that Clydes will get much better performance spending more $$$ on, suspension parts fall into that category IMO.
    Keep pedaling no matter what

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by JHH View Post
    . . . . . . I ride a Fox Float CTD 120 and it's been a great fork. I took the time to learn the fine tuning variables and it made a huge difference in traction, control and travel.
    That is the fork I have on my Stache, and I have a standard open bath F29 on a Giant Anthem 29er. I have ridden a few of the FIT F29's as well. Personally, I'd take the Manitou in a heartbeat over either of my Fox forks. TBH, there aren't a lot of fine tuning options on the CTD (C, T, or D - air spring pressure, and rebound), but it does help to get them dialed in for you and your bike. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice enough fork, and I am happy to have it, but if given a choice. . . . . JMHO.

The Fox fork I rode recently, that I loved: Fox 34 Talas CTD Factory with Kashima Coat and Trail Adj, 140-110MM 15MMQ/R that comes on the Niner Rip 9 4 Star build. That fork was up there in RS Pike and Manitou Tower Pro territory in terms of plushness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    would this help?
    (maybe if the steer tube is long enough?)
    manitou tower pro in Cycling | eBay
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Ya saw those, iffy on buying used forks.

I'm seeing good reviews on x-fusion slide forks.... And for the price im considering going that route since I want to get a nicer possibly Fs in the next season or 2.

Anyone here have anything to say on the Slide RL 2 for Clyde use????
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    check the mtbr search about x-fusion.
    I've seen good reports.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld