mtbr member

Need fork suggestions for a 5.5

Just got a new 5.5 frame, and am going to build it up for aggressive XC.... lots of log crossings, rocky trails, roots and the like. No real downhill (everything I go down, I can go up...if my legs hold out). No hucking, drops, or jumping (other than getting a foot or two of air here and there on the trail). I weigh 240 lbs...and am on the way down to 210 or so.

Looking at the FOX Float RLC, or the AM1, or maybe the AM SL. Open to other suggestions, just cant spend a million dollars on this build. ANy feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    I have been riding Marzocchi forks since '99 and have never had issues with them. (Z2 Atom Bomb on my Blizzard). I just bought the AM SL for my 5 Spot. You cant go wrong with either the AM1 or the SL. If you want a good deal act quick and grab up an '05 before they are all gone.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Pike Air or Coil. Cheap, stiff, and reliable.

Your bike is incorrigible

second for the Pikes

This is the one application where I think Pikes are the best bet. They are as light or lighter than anything else in this category, and they are tough as nails. You'd need a front wheel with a 20mm through hub. However, I think you would appreciate the stiffness, and the price is going to be comparable to a good Fox fork by itself. Try finding last year's reduced price models, and I bet you can pick one up for $350.