mtbr member

Need A Coil Shock Recomend One ?

SO OK I ride a Bad Azz intense 5.5 but im 6'4" 265lbs and am blowing my fox RP3 to bits. Ive been recomended to go coil but wich one. I do alot of agressive all mountian. looking at the cane creek double barrel. But not sold on it yet. any recomends out there???

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Fox Van R or Fox DHX and send it to PUSH.

Shikaka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    Fox Van R or Fox DHX and send it to PUSH.
    Hows Push making it better?

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by ace_ventura
    Hows Push making it better?
    They'll revalve the shock so the platform acutally works and you don't blow through all your travel. RP3 is notorious for this, which is one of the reasons Fox brought out the RP23.

And if you are thinking coil, buy it from someone who actually knows how to spec a coil for a big guy. A 400lb coil won't cut it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I haven't tried the double barrel, but everything I've tried by Ohlins has been insanely good (dirt bike suspension and Scotts steering dampers).

The Fox DHX 5.0 and Marzocchi Roco WC are my two favorite rear shocks. Both are very durable. The Roco feels livelier and plusher, but you need a round pedal stroke because there is no ProPedal-style platform.

Shikaka!
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    They'll revalve the shock so the platform acutally works and you don't blow through all your travel. RP3 is notorious for this, which is one of the reasons Fox brought out the RP23.

And if you are thinking coil, buy it from someone who actually knows how to spec a coil for a big guy. A 400lb coil won't cut it.
    Hmmm that brings me to think about my DHX5 Coil that came with my frame, how do I know it fits my scale, meaning it supplys the corrrect amount of sensitivity? I'm around 63-64Kg with the gear and all and the spring says 500x2.75 on it... Btw, I had in mind that the Air version might be easier to adjust according to weight but reviews pointed to Coil so I paid less and went with the best.

Former Bike Wrench
    Have you thought about a larger volume air shock? I suggest this because you may have a hard time finding a coil shock that is the correct eye to eye and travel measurements that will handle 265lbs. For instance, the Marzocchi Roco WC does not come in a size that will fit your frame (which I believe is 7.785" or 200mm eye to eye and 2" or 2.25" (51mm or 57mm) travel)...although the DHX does and the Double Barrel is built to your specs.

You could have PUSH service your shock and add a high volume air sleeve which might make that RP3 a much better shock. Just an alternative choice.

Another option is the new Marzocchi air shocks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ace_ventura
    Hmmm that brings me to think about my DHX5 Coil that came with my frame, how do I know it fits my scale, meaning it supplys the corrrect amount of sensitivity? I'm around 63-64Kg with the gear and all and the spring says 500x2.75 on it... Btw, I had in mind that the Air version might be easier to adjust according to weight but reviews pointed to Coil so I paid less and went with the best.
    Fox Shox work best with 25% sag, according to Fox. That has been my experience as well. And no more than 2 turns of spring preload, also according to Fox. At your weight, I would guess you want to drop 2 rates (to 400 lbs/in), maybe 1 or 3 (350 or 450).

Shikaka!
    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    Fox Shox work best with 25% sag, according to Fox. That has been my experience as well. And no more than 2 turns of spring preload, also according to Fox. At your weight, I would guess you want to drop 2 rates (to 400 lbs/in), maybe 1 or 3 (350 or 450).
    Thanks for the info, I also read somewhere that the 500lbs spring is ideal for 80-100kg + riders so I'm out of the range. I should've looked into it before the purchase..I hope its not a big deal to trade it in, its still brand new.