mtbr member
    May 2007

Need clyde advice!

Hello fellow clydes. I am a 230+/- rider in the market for a new bike. I was originally looking into the 5in FS 29ers (Trance/Rumblefish/Horsethief) but tried out a Trek/GF Superfly 100 AL and it felt pretty good. Most everyone around here has assured me it can survive my weight and the type of riding I do.

The trails around here are mostly XC single track, but I do like to hit any dropoffs or jumps I come across, but nothing intense. What do you guys think? This model doesn't have the thru-axle front...is that a big deal? The 2013 does, but the 2012 model I am eyeing is at a good discount. ( 2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Bike )

Also, are the fork, shock, and wheels clyde approved? If this is approved, I'm thinking about making the purchase tomorrow. Let me know what you think!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Bike/body weight issues

I to am having the questions regarding the weight capabilities of the Trigger 1 that I'm looking to purchase. I read about the tires not being rated for a 200+++lb rider like myself, I'm 285lbs. So now I gotta take everything into consideration..wheels tires crank bars etc etc.

mtbr member
    I think most of it would be fine except the wheels, skinny lightweight XC rims with only 28 spokes (and likely machine built) is concerning. Might consider upgrading the wheels with the money your saving on the 2012 model.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am 240 and my '12 Stumpy EVO Hardtail 29er has been great. The Roval Traverse wheelset has held up pretty well with my jumps.
    2014 Giant Anthem X Advanced 1 29er
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO HT 29er

Climbs = necessary evil
    I'm 6'2" 225lbs (was 245 last year) and tried out a bunch of 29ers before buying last year, but that was not one of them, I did try out the Niner JET9 RDO and the SC Tallboy Carbon, which were both more in that line with a lighter XC setup and less travel. They were okay, but what finally made me grin from ear to ear and open up the wallet was the Niner RIP9. It's a very versatile bike and can handle just about anything we can through at it, except maybe pure DH riding. Demo one if you haven't already.

The place I bought it from is having a winter sale on them with several different component configurations and Chris is willing to swap parts with store credit and ship.

This is the one I bought...
    Niner Special Buy R.I.P. 9 V.2 - Big Kahuna Bicycles - Littleton CO
    and he upgraded me to the Flow EX rims.

But he also has these two variation as well...
    Niner Special Buy R.I.P. 9 V.1 - Big Kahuna Bicycles - Littleton CO

Niner 2012 R.I.P. 9 SRAM X9 build - Big Kahuna Bicycles - Littleton CO

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PainMagnet View Post
    Hello fellow clydes. I am a 230+/- rider in the market for a new bike. I was originally looking into the 5in FS 29ers (Trance/Rumblefish/Horsethief) but tried out a Trek/GF Superfly 100 AL and it felt pretty good.
    I agonized over the choice between the rumblefish and the superfly. Flopped back and forth several times a day before i pulled the trigger.

Have you really checked out the 2013 fox CTD shocks? The difference in the way the bike handles on different settings is far more pronounced than i thought it was going to be.

I can set my rumblefish to trail setting front and rear and it handles VERY similarly to the way the superfly did. Set the shocks to descend and i get 120mm of juicy squish.

In other words, the rumble with two finger flicks can perform like a superfly.... but nothing can make the superfly perform like a rumblefish.

Food for thought, eh?