Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    617

    Need advice: Rear Hub

    I'm currently riding a 29er with Salsa Semi wheels laced to 135mm 36h Shimano centerlock quick release XT hubs (M775). While I haven't had a single bit of problems with the rear hub, I'm looking for a good alternative just in case it grenades like so many people tell me it will.

    It has to be a 36h hub. I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs of pure mean and aggression on the trail. I mostly do single-track / AM type riding. I've pancaked too many 32h wheels.

    I really like the centerlock brakes, but I could go with a 6-bolt disc if needed.

    I'd really prefer quiet coasting versus 'angry bees' or 'air raid siren'. (I enjoy surprising coyotes and deer on the trail) I'd also like something with as good or better engagement than the shimano.

    I'd get some DT Swiss hubs in a heartbeat, if only they had a 36H

    I was thinking Hadley SDH, but everybody seems to be sold out or its been discontinued?
    Last edited by GpzGuy; 03-04-2011 at 01:00 PM.

  2. #2
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,331
    I blew up an XT hub last weekend, and it's also 36 hole. I'm in the same boat. In my thread, everyone's sayin' Hope hubs. They're all over Ebay for 229 dollars. DT makes the 240 in 36 spoke. It's way more money, though.

    I have a DT Swiss hub on my Specialized. Not sure what model, since it only says DT Swiss on it. I've been riding that hub for over two years with no problems.
    I like turtles

  3. #3
    Disgruntled Peccary
    Reputation: dysfunction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    867
    Hadley's are great hubs, but they're not quiet.. neither are Hope's for that matter. The DT's should be quieter from what I've seen. If you're looking for the Hadley's have you tried calling them, or someone like Balle Racing to see what the availability is?

    Balle's website shows H600135-36BLK10MM-72 (36 Hole) Black Hub, 72 point engagement Freehub as being available..
    mike

  4. #4
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,331
    I was just on DT's website. I guess they don't make a 36.
    I like turtles

  5. #5
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    Shimano Saint...36 poe, 36 hole, bolt up, and made to take a beating. Oh yea, and pretty quiet!

    BTW-DT makes the 440 in 36 hole, and it is quite stout as well, though 6 bolt only

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496
    I was just on DT's website. I guess they don't make a 36.
    Nope, they don't.... they make it in a 28h and 32h... but not 36. What's up with that?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Shimano Saint...36 poe, 36 hole, bolt up, and made to take a beating. Oh yea, and pretty quiet!

    BTW-DT makes the 440 in 36 hole, and it is quite stout as well, though 6 bolt only
    The DT 440 is only available as a 150mm width as far as I can tell.

    The Saint is bolt up... I was kind of hoping to stick with QR skewers so I don't have to take any wrenches on the trail.

    Hadley is looking pretty good to me.... I had heard and read that they are quieter than the Hopes?

  8. #8
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,331
    I'm trying to find out if a White Industries hub can survive 36 tooth cassettes, 29" wheels and 180 mm cranks. Looks like a bargain at 250 bucks. They come in 36 spoke.
    I like turtles

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woody.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    240
    I've blown up several Shimano hubs years ago then I went with DT hugi's they took the abuse for years. I had Phil Wood and you will not blow his hubs up. I'm currently running Chris Kings no problems. King also makes a heavy duty version for 25 bucks more. Both Wood and King hubs are not cheap, but they will last for years.
    Here are a couple of sites of wheel builders that know how to build wheels. I've had both of these guys build wheels and I never needed to get them trued.
    Call these guys and talk to them or drop them an email. They are masters at wheel building.

    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/index.html

    http://www.youngwheels.com/

    Woody

  10. #10
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    Quote Originally Posted by GpzGuy
    The DT 440 is only available as a 150mm width as far as I can tell.

    The Saint is bolt up... I was kind of hoping to stick with QR skewers so I don't have to take any wrenches on the trail.

    Hadley is looking pretty good to me.... I had heard and read that they are quieter than the Hopes?
    Can use a DT RWS 10x135 on the Saint hub
    http://www.treefortbikes.com/product...-10x135mm.html

    The 440 is available in 135mm though its rarer to find
    http://www.ediscountbike.com/DT-Swis...-p9299755.html

    You also could go with the 540 which is designed for Tandem use...super strong
    http://www.treefortbikes.com/cat/0/1...222356809___86

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.1
    I've blown up several Shimano hubs years ago then I went with DT hugi's they took the abuse for years. I had Phil Wood and you will not blow his hubs up. I'm currently running Chris Kings no problems. King also makes a heavy duty version for 25 bucks more. Both Wood and King hubs are not cheap, but they will last for years.
    Here are a couple of sites of wheel builders that know how to build wheels. I've had both of these guys build wheels and I never needed to get them trued.
    Call these guys and talk to them or drop them an email. They are masters at wheel building.

    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/index.html

    http://www.youngwheels.com/

    Woody
    CK's are out. Too loud.

    Also, thanks for the links, but I don't have a problem with my current build, except that the M775 hubs seem to be a time bomb according to many. My wheels are Salsa Semi 29er hand laced in a 4-cross pattern with DT Swiss competition spokes and they are as true as the day they were delivered from Universal Cycle in Portland. I've given them much abuse over the last year too... my only concern is that XT hub.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Can use a DT RWS 10x135 on the Saint hub
    http://www.treefortbikes.com/product...-10x135mm.html

    The 440 is available in 135mm though its rarer to find
    http://www.ediscountbike.com/DT-Swis...-p9299755.html

    You also could go with the 540 which is designed for Tandem use...super strong
    http://www.treefortbikes.com/cat/0/1...222356809___86

    Thanks! The Saint hub is looking like a good option now.... can keep my center lock disk that way too.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    617
    So its cold today, but nice and sunny. I'm off so see if I can't get my XT hub to grenade

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woody.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    240
    Well all I can say is it really sucks when you blow one up. It's never close to the car or home.

    Woody

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Can use a DT RWS 10x135 on the Saint hub
    http://www.treefortbikes.com/product...-10x135mm.html
    Hmmm.... it seems that the Saint hub for 36h is only available with 12mm through axle. Won't work in my frame.

  16. #16
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    Quote Originally Posted by GpzGuy
    Hmmm.... it seems that the Saint hub for 36h is only available with 12mm through axle. Won't work in my frame.
    Well Schitt Balls

    Probably go Hadley or the DT Swiss 540 then

    If your after a bargain, check out the Transition hubs...the 36h are on sale for $40 and they use a solid 3 pawl system.

  17. #17
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,807
    MHO:

    Get these:

    http://www.sapim.be/index.php?st=pro...&detail=butted

    and a 32h DT-Swiss 440 or Hadley hub, and lace them to these:

    http://www.sun-ringle.com/mtb/rims/mtx-33/

    Thrash, pound and pancake away to your heart's content.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    617
    Thanks Jeff, but had you bothered to read the thread, you would know that I'm very happy with my current wheels (Salsa Semi 29ers... 36H laced in a 4X pattern.) Its just the XT hub that I'm a little worried about.... but then again, maybe I worry too much since I've done my best to break it and its held out since 2009.

    I'm not too fond of Sun rims either. I went through two of them back in '91 that only lasted me about a month and a half... they were hand built at a local shop in Seattle and they refused to warranty them... (Sun, not the shop... the shop gave me a new set of Shimano rims after that that lasted me for about 6 years). Both rims failed at the weld, and ever since then I've avoided their products.

    I'm thinking that I'm just going to get a Hadley hub and be done with it. I'll continue to ride the XT hub until (IF) if fails. If it does fail, I have my SS to ride until I get the new hub laced in.... the real question will be whether I'll need to get new spokes or not....

  19. #19
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,807
    I did 'bother' to read the post and got the impression it was the 36h hubs that were your biggest sticking point because you had 'pancaked' too many 32h wheels.

    Probably this that led to that conclusion:

    "It has to be a 36h hub. I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs of pure mean and aggression on the trail. I mostly do single-track / AM type riding. I've pancaked too many 32h wheels."

    Probably just my poor reading comprehension though and I didn't realize you still had an axe to grind from 20 years ago. And if you are as mean as you say you are, you should be concerned about that XT hub. Carry on.
    Last edited by jeffj; 03-06-2011 at 04:25 PM.

  20. #20
    rock crusher
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.1
    I had Phil Wood and you will not blow his hubs up.
    Sadly, I have destroyed 2 of them in 2 years, and the 3rd is on its way out... just waiting for the pop. This is why I bought Phil Wood stuff... install and forget it. Supposedly a bad batch of bearings/pawls that they had... well, a week without the wheel and $30 to ship it to Phil x2 has soured me a bit. Great Customer Service, but I would rather not need them at all. Funny, my $80 Surly SS hub keeps on ticking with no issues.

    235#, tall, and pushing 180 cranks with a 29er, 34t cassette.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I did 'bother' to read the post and got the impression it was the 36h hubs that were your biggest sticking point because you had 'pancaked' too many 32h wheels.

    Probably this that led to that conclusion:

    "It has to be a 36h hub. I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs of pure mean and aggression on the trail. I mostly do single-track / AM type riding. I've pancaked too many 32h wheels."

    Probably just my poor reading comprehension though and I didn't realize you still had an axe to grind from 20 years ago. And if you are as mean as you say you are, you should be concerned about that XT hub. Carry on.
    No worries. But my last 32H wheels are WTB dual duty wheels and Deore LX hubs. I bent that one in a couple weeks of trail riding it. No drops, just hard riding... it was originally machine built, but the shop I bought my bike from stress relieved and re-tensioned them for me. The rim was replaced for me for free, but I've been easy and gentle on those wheels ever since, only using them for street and easy trail riding.

    After I had my current wheels built for me, I haven't had a single problem, and at my size and weight, I can't see myself going back to a 32H wheel any time soon on my 29er. Yep, there's more selection available, e.g. DT 240s.... which is unfortunate.

    So like I said, I think I'm just going to shop around for a Hadley and be done with it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •