jcd's best friend

My weight loss adventure

Hello,

For quite a while, I saw this sub-forum but I didn't realize what a Clydesdale actually was (other than a horse). I thought it was a bike model or something. After reading a weight loss success story in the beginner's corner, I realized the purpose of this sub-forum!

My history

I retired early from the U.S. Air Force and I was heavy most of my career. A husky body build is normal in my family and comes from my father's side. I had issues losing weight due to the immense stress of my job and the over-emphasis of physical fitness testing in my service. I also discovered that I have an anxiety disorder (another family trait) which didn't help me out much. Upon retiring, my anxiety levels went down and I now go to school full time to re-educate myself. I am also heavily disabled from my time in service.

Currently, I weigh 280lbs. 2 months ago, I was 285 so I am seeing weight loss from my efforts. My goal is to drop close to 200lbs. I weigh in twice a month to track my progress.

My bike riding history

My wife's family loves to mountain bike and they have been doing it for many years. When my brother and sister in law were married, they opted to buy nice mountain bikes as wedding gifts rather than buy nice wedding rings. About a year ago, I decided to start mountain biking with them. I started out on a Specialized Rockhopper 29er but the nature of a hardtail was way too hard on my body. Fast forward to now, I picked up my Stumpy and it was night and day difference on my body.

Lately, I added a new routine to my riding. I live next door to a mountain bike park and I ride over there 2-3 days a week to have fun, work on skill, and ride XC to work on weight loss and endurance. I am surprised how much better I ride after a year of doing it. I can clear uphills without stopping and I will complete full 1.8-mile laps before I need to catch my breath!

Yesterday, I managed to complete 2 1/2 laps on my circuit to give me almost 4 miles but I had to stop early to get home and take care of my family. Thanks to my bike and all my work, I have a goal to complete 4 laps next time I go out. I recently discovered Strava and I enjoy using it to track my miles!

Thanks for reading my lengthy post! I plan on adding updates to my progress on this thread.
    Trek …monda SL6 | Octane One Prone 29

mtbr member
    Way to go man, congrats on the lifestyle change. I have lost a little over 60 lbs since October with 75 to go. I was BIG for a small man of 5'5". Week by week I notice my stamina increasing and able to cover greater distance before I need to stop for a rest.

Keep at it!

jcd's best friend
    That's a great success story! I plan on riding more laps tomorrow and hope to break over 5 miles. I have a short term goal to average 15 miles of riding a week while using my Strava app. From there, I want to bump it up and go for 20 miles!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It does feel good to noticed better riding. Although I started riding a couple years ago, i get a little chuckle inside as a zip pass my stopping/breaking point on my route when i first started.

Interesting about them getting better bikes instead of better rings.

My wife waited a season before us getting her into biking. I believe she wanted to see if it was just a fad for me. She seen how much i enjoyed it and thought it would be great for the both of us to ride.

Moving forward to today, she only kinda rides sometimes, but seriously gotten into running and she loves it.

Im well overweight, but at the moment I dont care. Because i'm noticing my progress with this sport is the reason i dont care anymore. My joints are stronger, my heart is stronger, stamina far beyond of when i started, and i simply love riding is all that i care about for myself.

Don't get me wrong, but i do get extremely mad when the scale isnt going down... lol

mtbr member
    Keep at it. You can all do it if you set your mind to it.
    Two years ago at age 51 I was bumping 270. I had allowed myself to get fat again. In 3 months, I had shed 50 pounds and in another 3 got down under 200. Breaking 200 was a goal, so I picked up a new carbon road bike.
    This last winter I popped up to 208 and made the decision to get down even lower. I bottomed out at 270 when my doctor advised me to put some weight back on.

If you get on a sensible diet, stick with it and exercise, you can lose it. In prepping for the Tour Divide this year, I am in the best shape that I've been in sine my mid teens. I can run a 10K. My Strava times get faster and faster. The benefits are amazing.

So to all trying to lose! You can do it!
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

jcd's best friend
    I managed to squeeze out over 5 miles riding XC today. I have to visit my VA doctor and complain about my hands going numb again. It was an issue while on active duty. Being an aircraft mechanic and supporting two wars simultaneously does put miles on your body fast.

During my circuit riding, I take two breaks to catch my breath and to give my hands a break. I don't put a lot of weight on my hands when I ride, and this issue is continuous with various activities such as typing on my laptop or desktop, playing games on my Xbox or wrenching with my hands. I developed my light grip from riding sportbikes on the streets for years.

I plan on pushing my 5-mile circuits until my body adapts. From there, I want to push for 6 miles and keep working my way up. I noticed that I am beating my own Strava times everytime I go out. I find that to be motivation for what I am doing!

mtbr member
    One thing about biking is that isn't so much "exercise" as much as letting the inner child go out and play. I was never one for the gym (and it showed) yet with this hobby/lifestyle/passion I can't think of a better way to spend retirement.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by milliesand View Post
    One thing about biking is that isn't so much "exercise" as much as letting the inner child go out and play. I was never one for the gym (and it showed) yet with this hobby/lifestyle/passion I can't think of a better way to spend retirement.
    I definitely agree. My XC work will be my "exercise" at least twice a week and I plan on having some fun and work on skills once a week on top of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Great jub, I'm down 50lbs in 2 1/2 months, keto diet... check it out it's the only thing that's worked for me. I was riding the bike for months and didn't see anything but my endurance increased, I switched to the keto diet and drop 20 pounds the first month

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Nice work, I actually shared my "success" here a couple years back. Put a little back on and now pushing harder to get back down and make final goal before winter hits.

Keep at it, it's hard but it's very doable. A big impact will be watching and changing what you eat.

And avoid the Keto diet if you value hear health. It's good for a brief period (1 month unless your doctor says otherwise. Being cyclist lean is actually unhealthy as hell, your body is badly malnurished.

What this big fad hides is the fat at first your not really burning "fat", you burning the carbs and protein that are in/became the fat.

Carb reduction, removing processed foods, keeping it lean and natural will do far better for your long term health. Look at the Paleo "diet" for more explanation. Paleo isn't a right way to describe it either. But basically the idea is to eat like humans are meant to. Natural food, not food made in labs.

I lost a 100lbs first round doing that and was easy to keep it off. Carbs we're heavily reduced but not Keto level cut off. Fats cut to minimum. Veggies, lean protein, fruit, grain based carbs.

Fad diets may be good for short term but weight goes right back on FAST (yes I learned from experience doing it to loose 3-4lbs a week for a month) when you try to eat normal.

Also carbs are required for fat burning process during extended exercise

Keep up the great work. The miles and speed will come. Remember to not overdo it, keep it fun!!!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    good stories here, myself @ 53 just started about 2 months ago. have not ridden a bike since I was a kid. got a RH sport 29 to start and see if I would like the sport, upgrade bug has infected me, BAD. but, in the last 2 months along with light weight training on non ride days, my body, skills and mindset have all improved greatly. keep it up everybody!

jcd's best friend
    Thanks for some of the diet feedback. My wife outlaws any type of junk food in my house. If I ever want a Mountain Dew (small bottle), I have to head to the store and get it. Luckily, I am too lazy to drive to a store just to buy a bottle of it to drink. I have a ton of turkey-based meat and a ton of low-fat options for food. Yeah, my wife hates junk food lol! In the past, I have not lost any weight, but I maintained it instead.

My wife also likes to make veggie shakes with shots of protein powder. At first, I wasn't sure about it but she made some really good ones in the past.

I have a question for some of you. Do any of you use a heart rate monitor device linked to Strava? I would like to purchase one for my rides to check my heart rate. I wore them a lot in the military (against my will) so it's nothing new for me to wear a chest strap while working out.

mtbr member
    I always wear a heart monitor. It helps me figure out how hard to push myself sometimes. Any more I have a hard time getting into the 160s.
    NOTE - Beta blockers for high BP will limit your heart rate to the mid 130s. Typically.

When I look at eating and nutrition, I take an analytical view of it. I did this 2 years ago when I had my massive weight loss. If you go back 10,000 years, what did humans eat? They were hunter/gatherers with some limited agriculture. That means a diet primarily consisting of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and lean meats. Grains were also likely in the mix somewhere but they were not very refined. Dairy was likely non existent in their diet. That only came along after domesticating animals.

How does affect your eating habits? when you eat a highly process food such as white bread or pasta, the enzymes in your body will convert the starches to sugar very quickly. Your body produces insulin to utilize the sugar. Ones the sugars are depleted, remaining insulin will trigger hunger. Even diet sodas can do this due them being perceived as sweet. A way to determine how quickly a food is converted is called the glycemic index.

An example is oatmeal. Quick oats are rolled and then chopped into small pieces making for a quick meal. The bodies enzymes penetrate the oat particles quickly converting starch to sugar etc... Rolled oats are better as they are larger particles. Steel cut oats are the best.

The whole effect is to get off of the insulin roller coaster. After a few days, hunger cravings start to go away. Look at how the body is supposed to work and use it to your advantage.
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

jcd's best friend
    Maybe it's just me but I seemed to have shed 2lbs over the course of the past 2 weeks. I am really happy about that!

In other news, does anyone have a good weight scale they recommend? I have an old fashion one with a bunch of ticks and it's difficult to read. My eyesight is much worse than when I was young.

I plan on looking for a new one with digital numbers to read. I also came across the Fitbit Aria. I didn't think I would see the day that weight scales connect to wifi! Now, I have seen it all! I don't think any fancy scale is worth $130 but I am looking for a digital scale.

Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale Black FB201B - Best Buy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I seemed to have shed 2lbs over the course of the past 2 weeks. I am really happy about that!

In other news, does anyone have a good weight scale they recommend? I have an old fashion one with a bunch of ticks and it's difficult to read. My eyesight is much worse than when I was young.

I plan on looking for a new one with digital numbers to read. I also came across the Fitbit Aria. I didn't think I would see the day that weight scales connect to wifi! Now, I have seen it all! I don't think any fancy scale is worth $130 but I am looking for a digital scale.

Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale Black FB201B - Best Buy
    I got the Aria for Christmas (guess it could be taken as a message from the family) and love it. It has been flawless for years now. Highly recommend it, really helps with tracking goals and progress. Has proven pretty accurate for body fat percentage too.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

jcd's best friend
    I weighed in and I'm down to 274! I picked up a Fitbit to help me stay on track with all of my work. It's pretty interesting to use a watch and an app to see my progress.

This week, I took a hit with my riding. Some of my disabilities are coming around to create some extra pain for me this week due to extra house chores and yard work. Hopefully, I will get back on track this weekend and start back up feeling fresh.

mtbr member
    I weighed in and I'm down to 274! I picked up a Fitbit to help me stay on track with all of my work. It's pretty interesting to use a watch and an app to see my progress.

This week, I took a hit with my riding. Some of my disabilities are coming around to create some extra pain for me this week due to extra house chores and yard work. Hopefully, I will get back on track this weekend and start back up feeling fresh.
    Nice! Keep pushing and really focus on the diet while you are recovering to ride.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Nice work, I actually shared my "success" here a couple years back. Put a little back on and now pushing harder to get back down and make final goal before winter hits.

Keep at it, it's hard but it's very doable. A big impact will be watching and changing what you eat.

And avoid the Keto diet if you value hear health. It's good for a brief period (1 month unless your doctor says otherwise. Being cyclist lean is actually unhealthy as hell, your body is badly malnurished.

What this big fad hides is the fat at first your not really burning "fat", you burning the carbs and protein that are in/became the fat.

Carb reduction, removing processed foods, keeping it lean and natural will do far better for your long term health. Look at the Paleo "diet" for more explanation. Paleo isn't a right way to describe it either. But basically the idea is to eat like humans are meant to. Natural food, not food made in labs.

I lost a 100lbs first round doing that and was easy to keep it off. Carbs we're heavily reduced but not Keto level cut off. Fats cut to minimum. Veggies, lean protein, fruit, grain based carbs.

Fad diets may be good for short term but weight goes right back on FAST (yes I learned from experience doing it to loose 3-4lbs a week for a month) when you try to eat normal.

Also carbs are required for fat burning process during extended exercise

Keep up the great work. The miles and speed will come. Remember to not overdo it, keep it fun!!!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Totally disagree.

I've been in Ketosis since Jan 2017. Lost 20lbs and having no problem keeping it off. Blood pressure went from red zone to 122/74 (yesterday check). Have had two blood tests and doc says astonishingly good results with the bad cholesterol moving in a downward progression. Also took a stress test and artery MRI which showed excellence.

I run 3 days a week about 5 miles each at a 9 minute pace. I ride about 4 days a week all mountain averaging 60 miles a week/10k footies.

Keto might not be for everyone but it sure as heck works wonders for me.
    I'm not sure how this works.

jcd's best friend
    Good time for me to check in! I dropped down to 270 lbs but some of my weight loss may came from the new medication prescribed to me for my blood pressure. The VA has been worried about my blood pressure so they placed me on some medication for it. The side effect is that the pills are a diuretic so I have to keep up with my water intake. I use my Fitbit daily to keep up with all my activities and track my water intake.

My clothing is starting to get loose and I may have to go shopping for new wardrobe in the near future.

Your keto diet information is interesting but I don't plan on trying anything like that unless my VA doctor approves me. For now, I just drink a lot of water and keep my eating in check. I don't have a perfect diet but I do focus on lowering my sugar intake.

jcd's best friend
    So far, I managed to hold my weight around 270 lbs due to my lack of consistent riding days due to my kids being in town the past 60 days. They fly home on Wednesday. I love them and will miss them very much but I am glad they are going home so I can get focused on the task at hand. Instead of riding my normal 3 days a week, I was reduced to 1 day a week. It also doesnt help we are having clean air issues due to the Canadian wildfires. Once my kids head home, I will get back up to 3 days a week.

During the past month, I did homework on picking up a fitness bike for the roads and streets in my area. Western Washington is very bike friendly and my city encourages people to cycle for health, environment, and cut back on traffic. I am looking at a Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon located at my local shop. I might give that a test ride, see how it feels, and incorporate a road bike into my fitness. I like this bike because it has a flat bar to keep me more upright.

I know standard road bikes have 2 riding positions so I am wondering...should I buy the Sirrus with just a flat bar new or used (which is fine with me) or go for a used standard road bike and just use the flat part of the bar?

Rides all the bikes!
    An important part of weight loss is patience, and not giving up with frustration sets in. It's hard to continue on when the weight stops coming off.

FYI, after leaving active duty I went from what I thought was a good 165 to 200 pounds. Now I am 145, sub 140 when I am at my racing peak. It took me from the time I started working out in 2009 until 2014 when I peaked for an iron distance triathlon (140.6). That's an average of 1 pound a month!

Of course, it came in waves. Some weight loss was massive, some was in small amounts. Set a realistic short term goal, and don't get frustrated if you miss it.

mtbr member
    Getting a new bike is always fun, but another choice is to have 2 sets of wheels with road tires on one and knobbies on another.
    The Schwable Big Apples run 2 up to 2.35 Inch and last forever

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Look into building a set of road wheels for your mountain bike.

Rides all the bikes!
    Either get another ast of wheels set up for road like suggested, or get a proper road bike.

More logical option is to get road wheels, then eventually a road bike when you want one.

Trail Ninja
    Cheating on a diet really puts a hurt on your progress. I know I personally can gain 5 lbs from just a day of cheating with pleasure food (ex. pizza, doesn't help when papa johns sends me free points), which takes at least a week to break even from, after getting back on the usual routine.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Strava is a great app for tracking progress but has a lot of little doo dads that make it cumbersome for me. I use Cyclemeter, which is simpler. It in turn uploads to Strava, which in turn uploads to Relive. I also use iCardio, which is kind of annoying too, but does a great job of tracking heart rate. So yea, when I go out, I wear two chest monitors (Ant+ and Bluetooth). I start the Cycling app built into my Apple Watch, and I start iCardio and Cyclemeter. Plus my Trip 300, which also displays my heart rate.

Obviously, I haven't quite figured out what to do with all that data yet, but always better to have too much data rather than not enough, I guess.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    I wear two chest monitors (Ant+ and Bluetooth). I start the Cycling app built into my Apple Watch, and I start iCardio and Cyclemeter. Plus my Trip 300, which also displays my heart rate.
    Merge Heart Rate FIT or TCX file with Position FIT or TCX File

jcd's best friend
    Thanks for the advice!

I weighed in at 270 the other day but my riding stalled for the time being. I am dealing with severe back pains (particularly in 1 spot) and the VA had to give me a 7 day steroid, hydrocodone, and muscle relaxants. The only trade off to using a steroid is that my heart rate is slightly elevated. I noticed this while I rode my bike the other day and I felt gassed more frequently than what I'm used to.

The VA wants me to check my heart rate daily (over the past 2 months) and I am on blood pressure medication because I am slightly elevated. Due to the use of this steroid, my heart rate is very elevated, even when resting. I am almost done taking the meds and should be back to normal soon.

Unfortunately, I have to wait 30 days to see the chiropractor to work on my back problems. I did 6 months of physical therapy for my back last year. It's been pretty hard since I left the service and sometimes, I wonder how much I truly sacrificed for the greater good.

Rides all the bikes!
    I wonder how much I truly sacrificed for the greater good.
    All gave some.

I'm lucky that I only left with hearing damage and the after effects of depression.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    All gave some.

I'm lucky that I only left with hearing damage and the after effects of depression.
    Same here. I have bad tinnitus and I have to wear hearing protection in my kitchen just to make dinner. Running and boiling water hurts my ears. I have to remind my wife to close her bathroom door when she turns on the hair dryer because my ears will hurt so bad! I have to visit the hearing clinic at my VA hospital to have them document this problem.

I also developed depression on active duty and after retiring, I thought things would get a bit better. Instead, I feel like I'm developing more depression just dealing with all my medical problems. Mountain biking makes me feel much better because it tells me that I am still capable of doing things regardless how much pain I deal with on a daily basis.

Rides all the bikes!
    Mountain biking makes me feel much better because it tells me that I am still capable of doing things regardless how much pain I deal with on a daily basis.
    My tinnitus is at the annoying, hard to converse level but not painful.

I was able to recover from my depression when I was still active duty, which is just luck. But it came from taking too much responsibility over everything, and then internalizing it. Now instead I get angry. Which anger is far better then depression, but it has it's downsides. Luckily, anger makes me stronger, makes me push myself harder, so I work harder. So it's not a total loss.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Weight

I recently retired from the Air Force Reserve due to incessant medical issues, and like you am working on my weight. I would barely pass the waist measurement on my fit tests, and was medically barred from doing anything but desk duty at home station. I've had 8 surgeries in the last five years and have two more this fall. So I understand at least a good portion of what you're going through. PM me if I can be of any moral support.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Zulu View Post
    I recently retired from the Air Force Reserve due to incessant medical issues, and like you am working on my weight. I would barely pass the waist measurement on my fit tests, and was medically barred from doing anything but desk duty at home station. I've had 8 surgeries in the last five years and have two more this fall. So I understand at least a good portion of what you're going through. PM me if I can be of any moral support.
    Thanks. The Air Force's fitness standards messed me up mentally for many years. I used to panic every minute of the day for months. Months turned to years. I actually had random nightmares about fitness testing. Luckily, I went to the mental health clinic and had it documented over a span of 2 years and placed me on celexa. The VA is now compensating me for all of this. It does affect me now even though it's been 3 years.

It's sad that the Air Force pushes fitness testing so hard on the people.

On a positive note, I went out for an awesome bike ride totalling 9.4 miles! I know people bash Strava but I use it to track my miles and progress. I don't care about beating times. My wife also wants to join in on the biking fun but she doesn't feel comfortable riding on trails. Instead, we will pick up some fitness bikes and ride the concrete trails we have in our area. Washington State is very bike friendly and we have a big concrete trail system in most of our cities for bicyclists and runners.

jcd's best friend
    It's been a while since I updated this thread. I am still floating at 270 lbs for my weight. It's not a bad thing but it's not a great thing. I've been handling a lot of stuff with my new work study position, going to the VA twice a week, and now I have a head cold.

My back problems were getting worse but I am seeing a chiropractor. It helps some but I decided to take things a step further and get a new mattress. I have a Tempurpedic but I give off so much body heat that the memory foam just sticks to my body shape! I already warrantied the mattress once and I didn't want to get another one and start all over with the same problems.

I did some homework and grabbed a Helix mattress, which receives great reviews for people with chronic back pains. After a week of sleeping on this mattress, I feel 100% better. I wake up in the mornings with minimal back pains!

I missed out on 2 weeks worth of cycling and felt it this weekend when I rode with my buddy. It didn't help that we took a new trail that had an excessive amount of uphill riding! It was a bit too much for me, but it gave me motivation to push harder on my training with hopes of coming back out there and conquering the entire trail!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It's been a while since I updated this thread. I am still floating at 270 lbs for my weight. It's not a bad thing but it's not a great thing. I've been handling a lot of stuff with my new work study position, going to the VA twice a week, and now I have a head cold.

My back problems were getting worse but I am seeing a chiropractor. It helps some but I decided to take things a step further and get a new mattress. I have a Tempurpedic but I give off so much body heat that the memory foam just sticks to my body shape! I already warrantied the mattress once and I didn't want to get another one and start all over with the same problems.

I did some homework and grabbed a Helix mattress, which receives great reviews for people with chronic back pains. After a week of sleeping on this mattress, I feel 100% better. I wake up in the mornings with minimal back pains!

I missed out on 2 weeks worth of cycling and felt it this weekend when I rode with my buddy. It didn't help that we took a new trail that had an excessive amount of uphill riding! It was a bit too much for me, but it gave me motivation to push harder on my training with hopes of coming back out there and conquering the entire trail!
    Hey man, thanks for this thread. I'm just getting in mountain biking and it has been an inspiration to read about your success. Where do you ride? I'm in Tacoma and going to try out the new park off 56th and Portland road.

On another note, might I suggest a device called Quell? It uses electro stimulation to kick off your brain's endorphin production.

My wife, mother in law and sister in law all use them. All had chronic back pain and now get a huge amount of relief from their Quell devices.

Not cheap (250 bucks) but a 30 day money back guarantee. The have some good info on their clinical trials on their website. Back pain sucks so I hope you get relief soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I am 283 and 6"4 1/2. I can lose 10-20 lbs of fat which is mostly on my stomach, but then I have to lose bone and muscle to lose more weight. My problem is the more I bike the more muscle I put on. 20 plus years of power lifting got me to 310lbs. I have lost allot in the last 5 years since I no longer power lift, but can't get the bone mass down. My body type seems to be pure mesomorph. Trying to get down to 250, just don't know if it's possible for mesomorph ex lifters?

Any ex power lifters here?

mtbr member
    You should get a body composition done, check your percent fat. You might be surprised.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by STAC View Post
    Hey man, thanks for this thread. I'm just getting in mountain biking and it has been an inspiration to read about your success. Where do you ride? I'm in Tacoma and going to try out the new park off 56th and Portland road.
    I live in Tacoma as well. I live across the street from Swan Creek which sounds like the park you are referring to. I ride over there regularly to do my laps and get my bike on. Private massage me with your info and I will ride with you out there.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerfan777 View Post
    I am 283 and 6"4 1/2. I can lose 10-20 lbs of fat which is mostly on my stomach, but then I have to lose bone and muscle to lose more weight. My problem is the more I bike the more muscle I put on. 20 plus years of power lifting got me to 310lbs. I have lost allot in the last 5 years since I no longer power lift, but can't get the bone mass down. My body type seems to be pure mesomorph. Trying to get down to 250, just don't know if it's possible for mesomorph ex lifters?

Any ex power lifters here?
    I used to weight lift a lot while on active duty but not on the level of power lifting. I am naturally big to the point where people mistaken me as a Seattle Seahawks football player. I should check their roster to see if someone looks like me lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    You should get a body composition done, check your percent fat. You might be surprised.
    I wouldn't mind doing this and see where I am sitting.

jcd's best friend
    It's been a long 4 weeks. I haven't had time to get out and ride my bike much due to health issues. I saw a massage therapist last week and damn....a massage fixed a lot of issues! My VA doctor and other therapists told me my muscles are too tight and I need a massage to loosen up.

After 1 session, I felt like new! I still need more massage work because my muscles are still tensed up. My massage therapist asked me to come back in a couple weeks for another session and afterwards, I can visit monthly if needed.

Lately, I haven't lost weight, but I haven't truly gained any back either. I feel rejuvenated after my massage session and I am looking to make a stronger push for weight loss. I also picked up my Fox Racing Bionic jacket to wear during those cold 30-40 degree days. I tested the sweater while taking my dog for a walk and it did a great job keeping me warm. The fabric was sprayed with rain repellant and worked great in the light rain we had over the weekend.

Also, I am paying more attention to what I eat and emphasizing my downfalls in my diet. My wife makes me eat salad every second of the day and always cooks health conscious meals....like zucchini spaghetti noodles or using turkey beef rather than traditional beef. I just have to watch what I eat when I leave the house and hanging out on campus!

mtbr member
    Hey guys, it's cool to hear success stories. One thing that helped me is listening to Mountain Bike Radio's Apex Nutrition podcast. The nutritionist who is on the show does a great job explaining the effects of different foods and how it effects riding. For me, it helped me look at food a little differently as it relates to my riding.

Keep up the good work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Have you guys found it easier to climb hills after losing weight?

220 here, but I am a short guy so definitely obese. Went for a ride today (probably only my 4th time ever riding), and I still keep finding myself hiking the bike up most slopes. Hills are really tough and I'm getting kind of discouraged. Pretty embarrassing to hop off my bike every 5 minutes and getting passed by everyone.

I love doing downhill on some single track, but god the hills have been brutal for me. Any light at the end of the tunnel?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Moody View Post

220 here, but I am a short guy so definitely obese. Went for a ride today (probably only my 4th time ever riding), and I still keep finding myself hiking the bike up most slopes. Hills are really tough and I'm getting kind of discouraged. Pretty embarrassing to hop off my bike every 5 minutes and getting passed by everyone.

I love doing downhill on some single track, but god the hills have been brutal for me. Any light at the end of the tunnel?
    What kind of gearing are you running? The new SRAM 12 speed stuff offers some amazing gearing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DFL
    First of all, Battery, and the other veterans on the thread, thank you for your service. I was active Army for 9 years, and got out with my share of medical issues, so I understand where you are coming from. I spend more time than I care to admit at the VAMC, and my boss hates it. I was diagnosed as being bi-polar while on active duty, and put on a ton of weight from the medication they gave me, before getting out, and even more once I got out. I ended up taking extreme measures to lose weight, but my path isn't for everyone. It sounds like you are doing the right things, it's just, sometimes you can't argue with the hand you're dealt. It seems like Uncle Sam always takes more than his fair share. Keep the faith, ride like hell, and have fun!
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by STAC View Post
    What kind of gearing are you running? The new SRAM 12 speed stuff offers some amazing gearing.

I am running a 1x11 hardtail...so in theory that should be more than sufficient I would think.

I suppose it comes down to me not having the leg strength yet and I am also lugging some extra 70 lbs in weight. Hopefully should get easier over time, but god now its rough!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am running a 1x11 hardtail...so in theory that should be more than sufficient I would think.

I suppose it comes down to me not having the leg strength yet and I am also lugging some extra 70 lbs in weight. Hopefully should get easier over time, but god now its rough!
    Yeah 1x11 should be gtg. What are you running up for the front gear? Might get a bit more gearing if you can drop a couple teeth up front. That said, short steep stuff stops me too. Learning to conserve momentum is something I'm working on too.

mtbr member

Yes, just keep at it. For me it was like a light switch. All the sudden some of the short, punchy climbs early in the ride didn't stop me at all. I was able to just spring up. Then I noticed I was able to do it for the entire ride (another light switch). After these two switch points, progress has been more slow and steady.

Climbing is all about power to weight. If you persevere, your power will be inching up while weight drops off, which will have a huge impact.

mtbr member

Climbing hills has always been rough for me.
    I'm 6'6" 230 right now. ( was 250 ). Its getting easier for sure the more I ride and the more pounds I drop...

But even when I'm down at 200, its still hard..compared to some horse jockey. Just take it slow up and smoke them on the downs lol.
    Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead XL
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash XL

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Itís has already been ask of your gearing, but are you using them effectively. No matter your weight being perfect or overweight, not being in the proper gear is a leg burner. I often have joked that losing weight hasnít helped me with hills. When I look back I realize it does help, but more importantly technique and practice.

I would say not to concentrate with the idea of ďWhen I lose the weight I will conquer these hillsĒ, but to simply concentrate on technique and simply practicing.

I could give you my story and it would sound like the bottom line was the weight I lost to handle the hills, but it was technique and practice. Me being extremely heavy and getting off and on my seat while riding was my main leg burner and reason I couldnít make all the hills.

My old problems with inability to finish out hills:

1. Tire pressure being too high while riding trails
    2. Being in the wrong gear while trying to go up a hill
    3. Trying to strength take out a hill instead of technique

I managed to finish out hills with being in the proper gear and sitting down.

The weight loss caused me to be able to stand a lot more because my legs were not burnt out as quickly with the extra weight I was carrying. Iím nowhere near perfect with this, but I am proud of not walking up hills anymore.

With me knowing I can take hills better(and over 50lbs lighter), I inadvertently tried a hill being in the wrong gear and trying to use all power in my legs like I use to try and do, and I failed the same old way as before.

So, yes the weight loss will help, but there is nothing like skills to get it done.
    TREK 2012 Marlin
    TREK 2013 Superfly Comp - Carbon

jcd's best friend
    Hi everyone. Glad to see this thread still generates interest. I haven't been riding in a while mostly due to school and health problems. I took a spin last week and did 4 miles. It was pretty rough but I held up. I checked my weight and I only gained 5 lbs. I am happy it was only 5 lbs! My college quarter is closing and I will have a couple weeks to get some riding done and get myself back on track.

I thought about grabbing a GoPro and a nice gimbal to record some of my rides. It could get a little expensive, but we will see!

Climbing
    Weight loss didn't make a huge difference in my climbing ability. My 1x11 gearing did help a lot. Most of my climbing power came from trying my hardest to climb to the top. My local bike park has a good climb that can test your endurance. The climb isn't impossible, but provides a great cardio challenge to see where you are at.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hi guys, I figured I would share my weight loss story even though its been brief. I'm 45yo 6'2" 203 (as of today) so just barely still Clydesdale. Was 220 two months ago when I started NSNG (no sugar, no grains). I'm not a dietician so I'm not going to try and preach it or explain it other than to say I believe what I've read about it and it works for me. The idea is eat more high fat foods, reduce carbs, eliminate sugar. Stop eating stuff that says low fat or diet.

I eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, pour heavy whipping cream in my coffee, chicken or steak and broccoli for dinner, lots of cheese, nuts, butter, etc. Turkey is good but beef is better. I try to eat zero bread, zero pasta, zero potatoes, zero sugar, although I admit I'm not at zero on any of those because I love food. So anyway thats my story. My pants are too big now and I feel much healthier. Check out www.vinnietortorich.com if interested. Ultimately I want to be lighter to ride faster but my wife likes me lighter also

I appreciate all the updates on here. I was given advice to have my hormone levels tested and make sure everything is good. I haven't done it yet but will. If your nutrition and hormones are good other things will fall into place. I'm in the medical field and we are now starting stem cell therapy/injections to help with pain and arthritis. Anyone getting steroid injections I would highly suggest never doing that ever again and googling "amniotic stem cell injections" to see if anyone in your area is doing that.

As far as riding goes I love Strava to compete against myself and also measure myself against other riders. My times are getting faster which I attribute to better health, gained experience from each ride, and a better bike! Loving my new Trek Stache.

Hope that doesn't sound to preachy....just sharing my story. Keep up the good work.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by JDHutch View Post
    I appreciate all the updates on here. I was given advice to have my hormone levels tested and make sure everything is good. I haven't done it yet but will. If your nutrition and hormones are good other things will fall into place. I'm in the medical field and we are now starting stem cell therapy/injections to help with pain and arthritis. Anyone getting steroid injections I would highly suggest never doing that ever again and googling "amniotic stem cell injections" to see if anyone in your area is doing that.
    Hello,
    I haven't had my hormones tested either. I should consider the same thing as well. I am not sure what specialist I need to see about injections for arthritis and pain. I do much of my medical stuff through the VA and having extra tests done takes a while to accomplish. I have to get approval from my doctor and it takes ages to get an appointment lol!

I am lookin to buy a fitness bike for extra winter riding here in the Pacific NW. From a cardio standpoint, I am out of shape from not riding the past 2 months. I had a long journey the past couple months and shelved my bicycle riding to handle things.

My wife and I plan to buy a new (or used) elliptical to help with our exercise routine as well. I hate my recumbent bike in my office and I love using ellipticals!

jcd's best friend
    Looks like my weight loss luck is going to be kicked into high gear! My wife and I picked up a new Sole E35 elliptical for 50 percent off from the factory with free freight shipping. I used it the other day and I love it! We tested one out at a sporting goods store and fell in love with it. I need more motivation to lose weight and I have always loved ellipticals.

I am making a shift from MTB riding into weight loss on my elliptical. I love mountain biking but with all my medical problems, I need another way to push my weight loss without having to rely on my bike for all seasons. Years ago, I opted against having a gym membership because of my experiences in the military. I flat out refuse to step foot in another gym and would much rather workout in an outside environment or in my own home.

My plan is simple. I will use my elliptical 4 days a week performing interval sessions for 30 minutes. I plan to push my intervals to 45 minutes once I readjust to using an elliptical. My elliptical motivates me to sticking with a sensible diet and making healthier choices.

My long term goal is to build up endurance to ride my bike for hours! My wife's family rents a full campground for the entire family during Mother's Day weekend and we always go out biking. The trails are mostly XC with brutal climbs! Last year, I did ok on the climbs but this year, I want to do better!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I love your enthusiasm. Itís inspiring. One trap people fall into when doing cardio workouts is to push so hard that as soon as you step off the bike youíre depleted and starving and you eat too much. Look up Zone 2 Training - the idea is that Zone 2 is the fat burning stage of cardio. When in Zone 2 you should be able to breath with your mouth closed. You can also roughly calculate target heart rate by taking 180 minus your age. So if youíre 50 your Zone 2 sweet spot is roughly 130.

Good luck man and keep us updated.

jcd's best friend
    I haven't updated his thread in a long time! It's been a very long road during the winter. I am still battling physical problems from military service and I haven't been able to get on my bike or work out on my elliptical lately.

I had a VA doctor appointment last week and I brought up all of my joint pains. I feel like I'm falling apart these days. All of my joints hurt so much! I have to take Ibuprofen somewhat regularly so I can function. My physical ailments have me questioning my ability to bike ride and do many other things. My doctor prescribed me some neoprene knee sleeves to use daily. My dad (retired veteran too) says they don't work. We will see if they work for me. I also have patella straps for my knees too.

I am also dealing with a foot problem that causes a lot of pain when I walk. The doctor sent me to podiatry and I cannot see them for another month. It really sucks that the VA system is heavily backed up. I may use my personal medical insurance and see another doctor that may speed up my care. Nothing against the VA. They are backed up pretty bad nationwide.

I have woken up so many times while questioning where I am in life and why I suffer so much on a daily basis. My inner voice always tells me that I can take the pain and that is why I must push forward. It's a major burden, for sure.

For the record, I am not suicidal. I am too stubborn for that. I just question myself regularly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Iíve posted my joint aliments in other threads, and I mainly speak on how biking saved my life. I wasnít suicidal, and biking removed me from the realm of unhappiness.

I had serious joint problems with constant back to back Gout attacks in joints all over my body. It would take me 2 Ė 3 days to cut my own lawn(which isnít that large). I would cut the front lawn and be in pain from my hip joints down to my ankles, then wait 2days and cut the backyard. Simple walking wasnít working for me, too much weight on the damaged joints.

A buddy of mine came by(end of 2011) to show me his new MTB which was fitted for his shorter height. He pretty much made me try it out. Iím going to skip all the details of why, but I loved how that bike felt.

Each summer year I would drop 37-40lbs and put it back on during the winter months, but I havenít been back to the extreme joint pains. This past season, I kept riding passed the normal bike season when most would put their bikes up, and I dropped 70lbs. This winter I have been trying to get out when I can, and been fighting this 10lb up and down weight change during this winter months.

I always look forward to the new bike season, but this year is going to be a totally different story for me. This season/year Iím not restarting with the same ole 320lbs, not starting off breathing heavy as I try to get back to where I left off the last season.

Iíve mentioned in other post:
    ďNow I cut my front lawn, back lawn, and still jump on the bike and ride my miles!Ē

Going up and down in weight, I simply wore the same size cloths, but now I have to get refitted. I havenít gotten rid of my old fitted clothing because I sometime go into denial that I canít keep this weight off. Right now, I look absolutely ridiculous wearing my old cloths. I want to post pics of what I have done, but I want to post the 100lb+ difference photos.

Wow, looks like I typed too much, but I only wanted to mention that I feel bikes are great resources for getting them joints working like they are suppose to be.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

jcd's best friend
    Thanks for sharing the story. I am glad others can relate to me in some way. My joint problems were from working on aircraft in the military. I climbed up maintenance stands for 10+ years and it wore my knees out quick. My hands are shot to hell from being a mechanic. I had issues with muscle soreness that wouldn't go away. I fixed that problem by visiting a massage therapist on a monthly basis. I have to hand it to her. It made me feel better for a couple weeks a month.

Riding my bike also makes me feel better overall. Lately, it's been challenging to do because my joints have been getting worse. My doctor checked me for gout and said I don't have it. I am pushing hard to lose weight so I can take the pain out of my joints and body. I might sign up for crossfit classes again just to get myself moving. I used to do the basic fitness classes for years and it trimmed me down quickly. I had to quit because i left the military and I couldn't afford it anymore.

Lately, I've felt compelled to get back on my bike even when it's 30 degrees outside. I just wonder if it's a good idea with my current pain level and foot problem. I guess there is only one way to find out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If I had to make a list of what I gotten out of biking, putting that list in order would be tuff. Without a doubt, the first on the list is joint healing. At a young age and experiencing that pain was horrible. I always felt the gout attacks were the worst, but compared to having all my joint destroyed and carry excessive weight beat out the attacks.

May 2017 was my last gout attack, and this has been the longest time I have gone without an attack since it first started back in 1996. Itís only been 9 months without an attack, but a great 9 months. Before cycling(6yrs ago for me), I would have back to back attacks, with 2 joints at a time. Before one joint would heal, I would have another attack in that joint and I would be in tears. It was crazy to be seeing different specialists, putting weight on, and having more and more flare-ups.

Donít get me wrong, I wasnít expecting to heal up this way from biking. Biking took Ďmyself pityí away when I was riding. I enjoyed getting out and freedom that goes with riding.

I hadnít ridden a bike since I was a little kid back in the mid 80ís, and When I walked into that bike shop, I knew nothing of the bike advancements over the years.... such as these speed gear changers Ö lol

I bought a 29er, because I felt I would look like a circus bear riding anything with smaller wheels.

I later found this site, and learn a little about bikes and then bought my second bike for trails. I love my carbon bike, but my low priced Marlin will always be special to me.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lately, I've felt compelled to get back on my bike even when it's 30 degrees outside. I just wonder if it's a good idea with my current pain level and foot problem. I guess there is only one way to find out.
    Ride, enjoy the ride, especially if you feel the need to. Donít let the lower temperature stop you.

Take it from someone who would put the bike up in mid-September and bring out around May because it was a little cold outside. Since Iím not sticking to the ole Ďbiking seasoní for my area, I have destroyed the vicious cycle of my weight lost and gain each year(so far).
    TREK 2012 Marlin

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
    Ride, enjoy the ride, especially if you feel the need to. Donít let the lower temperature stop you.

Take it from someone who would put the bike up in mid-September and bring out around May because it was a little cold outside. Since Iím not sticking to the ole Ďbiking seasoní for my area, I have destroyed the vicious cycle of my weight lost and gain each year(so far).
    Kind of funny you brought this up. I live in WA and the sun becomes fully set by 4pm during winter time. As we approach spring, the sun is staying up much longer and doesnt set until after 5:30pm now. In summers, the sun sets close to 10pm. I can actually ride my bike a little bit after work!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Kind of funny you brought this up. I live in WA and the sun becomes fully set by 4pm during winter time. As we approach spring, the sun is staying up much longer and doesnt set until after 5:30pm now. In summers, the sun sets close to 10pm. I can actually ride my bike a little bit after work!
    You just reminded me another change I made aswell. I wasn't riding late at night. If I had worked late, then I would miss out on a ride.

Here is what changed me:

Mid-Summer, it was late and I was sitting on my porch enjoying the cool breeze. I see a bike rider coming up the street looking at a Christmas tree. I believe a few smart remarks crossed my mind, but then I thought about it. If all of those lights caught my attention and I'm making jokes, then they must be effective. I then decided I wanted to be like him.

I ordered (3) bright flickering back light, including (1) attached to the rear of my helmet, and (3) bright flickering front light, including (1) on the front of my helmet.

I contribute me not missing rides late at night, and continuing to ride after the Michigan bike season is over to:

Name:  mtbr_site.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  40.7 KB

Those 2 pics where taken a 5 months apart, 70lb difference.

I mentioned before that I will post pics in the 'BEFORE & AFTER success story' with full pics once I reach the 100lbs+ difference. With 30+lbs to go, I do know it isn't going to be an easy task or anytime soon.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

jcd's best friend
    Hello everyone,

I am on a very difficult journey with my physical health. Arthritis in my left toe joints has been very difficult to be mobile. I can't wear my Shimano flat shoes for biking because I cannot push down on the pedal without aggravating my toe joints really bad. Over the past 4 months, I have been walking in pain everywhere I go.

The VA podiatrist gave me some arthritis ointment and it only seems to work on my hand arthritis and not my toes! My podiatrist said they will consider injections should the ointment not help. They also referred me to a local business that makes custom shoe inserts to help mitigate my problems. I will have new shoe inserts by the end of the week.

Does anyone wear custom shoe inserts inside of their mountain biking shoes? I might buy a pair of FiveTen Freeriders or skater shoes assuming they might have a touch more comfort than my Shimano shoes when coupled with shoe inserts.

I am really tired of not losing weight due to physical ailments. I also miss riding my bike down the trails and having a great time. I am trying my best to change things up, but these physical problems are just wearing me down mentally.

jcd's best friend
    I thought about trying something different instead of posting up a thread update. Over the past couple weeks, I thought about getting a GoPro Session and record my rides. I believe that doing it in this manner (instead of thread updates) may give me a little bit more motivation because I will push myself to record my riding blogs detailing my weight loss. I love video editing and I will probably trim my videos to around 10 minutes or less.

What do you guys think?

In other news, I picked up a pair of Specialized 2F0 flats to replace my old Shimano flats. These shoes give me a lot more comfort while riding my bike. My feet don't hurt as much and the shoes flex fairly well when walking. I am still dealing with my toe problem though. As I push down on the pedal, it aggravates my toe joint. I have to modify my foot position to allow my toe to hang off the pedal a little bit more to keep the pain levels down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

What do you guys think?
    I think it's fantastic that you are trying any and everything to enjoy your ride.

I finally bought some new bike show too. I decided to give 510's(freerider pro) a chance. I'm switching from some ole shimano spd's.

I thought about getting a camera, but my reason is for the wrong reasons. I would want one just in-case something happened and I needed it recorded.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDHutch View Post
    Hi guys, I figured I would share my weight loss story even though its been brief. I'm 45yo 6'2" 203 (as of today) so just barely still Clydesdale. Was 220 two months ago when I started NSNG (no sugar, no grains). I'm not a dietician so I'm not going to try and preach it or explain it other than to say I believe what I've read about it and it works for me. The idea is eat more high fat foods, reduce carbs, eliminate sugar. Stop eating stuff that says low fat or diet.

I eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, pour heavy whipping cream in my coffee, chicken or steak and broccoli for dinner, lots of cheese, nuts, butter, etc. Turkey is good but beef is better. I try to eat zero bread, zero pasta, zero potatoes, zero sugar, although I admit I'm not at zero on any of those because I love food. So anyway thats my story. My pants are too big now and I feel much healthier. Check out www.vinnietortorich.com if interested. Ultimately I want to be lighter to ride faster but my wife likes me lighter also

As far as riding goes I love Strava to compete against myself and also measure myself against other riders. My times are getting faster which I attribute to better health, gained experience from each ride, and a better bike! Loving my new Trek Stache.

Hope that doesn't sound to preachy....just sharing my story. Keep up the good work.
    Im experimenting with keto and cycling. If i can drop 10-50 lbs that will be advantagous to me climbing.

Biggest challenge right now is when my muscles for a sprint or high intensity call for carbs or glycogen i have zero. Im just going to fight thru this and hopefully my body will adjust. I may for races carb load and take sugar electrolyte and gels and write that day off for weight loss just to maximize for the race... only like one day a month so nbd.

Being my body has no glycogen getting dehydrated is very easy. You need to drink more water with no carbs but you piss it out as fast as you drink it. Im adding carb free bcaaís in my water that has electrolyte... as its the cheapeat option vs vega augar free electrolyte or nuun tablets.

You do feel amazing on keto. No insulin crashes. Food is awesome... can try the substitutes when you get bored like fathead dough for pizza or zucchini noodles with pasta.... its gross at first but you get over it when you can have a big fat steak with butter and cheese covered asparagus or buttered green beans for supper.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

jcd's best friend
    Looks like I finally did it. I bought a GoPro Session for $130 from Amazon. I don't want to go for a high end GoPro just yet. I am experimenting with my rides in the area to see where it ends up. I am also a video editor and I can't wait to edit my footage with Final Cut Pro X!

I watch a lot of biker YouTube channels such as Biking with BoBo (he is great!), Seth, and Phil. I have an overall idea how they record their footage and create content. I believe that using a GoPro will help me get better at riding and motivate me to lose more weight. It allows me to multitask a bunch of stuff I love doing and placing them all into one package.

I may present my videos similar to how Nate Hills does his Follow Cam Fridays. Just jump right into it with no flashy intro and just a little bit of text. For those who arent familiar with Nate, here is his YouTube channel! He motivates me to ride and lose weight!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyw...b9GXD0lakYf6WA

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I borrowed my daughters GoPro Session, bought a Sametop Backpack Clip Mount and clipped it to my hydration pack shoulder strap. The view was perfect and the mount worked great...however I was disappointed by the video quality. Iíll do some research and try again.

jcd's best friend
    Some fun stuff to share today! I recorded my first GoPro session on Saturday. It was a lot of fun to use the GoPro Session with my Stuntman chest harness! The only issue was that I didn't angle the camera right. I had it pointed slightly upward and it recorded above the bar. I will do another recording session later. This time, I will install the camera upside down and point it upward.

While out and about, I made new biking friends again. It seems that every single time I go out for a ride, I leave with phone numbers. My wife teases me about it a lot!

Last but not least, I have a commuter bike to ride! I picked up a 2014 Specialized Tricross sport in great condition from a fellow military veteran. In my area, commuter bikes are the norm and I may use this bike to commute to my university next academic year, but we will see. I live 5 minutes away when I drive, but I worry about bike theft if I started riding. According to my school's website, they have bike lockers to store bikes, but I need to figure out how I get one!

I also plan to use this bike for some exercise riding. We have a ton of concrete paths that are separated from the road. These paths are considered running and riding lanes and they go for miles. We also have a scenic peninsula that the city shuts down so runners, walkers, and riders can use the road for up to 5 hours with no cars. I'm pretty excited to branch out my riding into other things!

Here is a picture of my Tricross!

My weight loss adventure-img_0390_zps5rp2ilmg.jpg

jcd's best friend
    Well, it looks like some of my work has paid off. I have lost 6lbs in the past 3 weeks. Much of this was due to road cycling and drinking more water. For now, I've been pushing 10 mile riding sessions and I want to go further. My distance riding is limited due to my children being in town for the summer.

I decided to take a bold step and I did something that caught my wife by surprise. I sold my 16 Stumpjumper and bought a nice 18 Giant Defy Advanced 2 carbon road bike. I actually sold the bike on Pink Bike in under 2 hours of posting it a couple days ago. I almost sold my Tricross too!

I absolutely enjoy road biking and I'm very confident that it will help me lose weight. I have a goal to burn 80lbs by the time I graduate college next spring. This goal was difficult over the past 3 years due to my inconsistency with mountain biking. Plus, my wife has no interest in mountain biking (she tried it) and prefers to road cycle with me.

Luckily, WA is very bike friendly and we have plenty of paved trails that runs 20+ miles in various areas. Seeing my university is around 3 miles away, I may use my Tricross for commuting in the fall. We will see how this idea works out. I still worry about bike theft and I would hate to see my Tricross stolen.

Road cycling placed an idea into my head and we will see where it goes. If I can burn down a ton of weight by next summer, I may pick up a XC hardtail and possibly race in one of our XC racing leagues in my area. I like the idea of racing as an additional goal to add on to my weight loss goal.

So here is my new Giant Defy Advanced 2. This bike series won a lot of different awards for affordability and performance. I absolutely love this bike! I got it on sale for $1699 from my local Giant dealer. The bike is considered an endurance bike and has hydraulic braking. This damn thing is super light! I can't wait to bust out some miles on her! I yanked all the reflectors off the bike.

My weight loss adventure-img_0418_zpsocaso84w.jpg

DFL
    Awesome! Do what you gotta do.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

jcd's best friend
    Today, I pulled off a 17-mile / 891ft climb on my new bike. It made me feel really good to do this. I really enjoy cranking out the miles! I ran into a lot of awesome cyclists today and I can't wait to meet more. I opted to cross over our local suspension bridge and man...I was hitting 30mph on the descent to the bridge. Climbing out was really difficult and I managed to make it 75 percent of the way before I had to hike it out. Perhaps next time.

It was fun dressing up like a mountain biker and cycling on a road bike.
    According to the Road Bike Review forum (our sister forum), no one cares how you dress for a road ride. As long as you are riding, that's all that matters to them. Works for me!

I have a planned 30+ mile ride and a 40 mile ride coming up soon. I honestly feel strong enough to pull off these long rides. My body feels like it's slimming down from all the exercise and dieting. I hope to drop some big weight numbers by July 1.

My weight loss adventure-img_0447.jpg

mbtr member
    According to the Road Bike Review forum (our sister forum), no one cares how you dress for a road ride. As long as you are riding, that's all that matters to them. Works for me!
    That's kinda true. I'm enormous for a roadie, but fast by any measure, and i don't typically wear lycra cuz it's not that comfortable. I get endless patronizing comments from 'real roadies.' Compliments for sure, but it's cuz they look at me and expect me to suck. It's tiresome.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

jcd's best friend
    Well, it seems my road cycling is slowly paying off. About three weeks ago, I weighed in around 279lbs, but my weight hasn't changed. That's fine! I can feel quite a bit of weight loss in my chest/stomach area. I think over time, my weight will go down, but for now, I am enjoying the riding experience and just having fun going the distance.

I decided to challenge myself and break my 17-mile distance ride. Yesterday, I tested my endurance and went all in for a 40-mile cycle trip. I pulled it off! It was a simple 40-mile down and back trip that started in 1 city and ended in another. At about the 17-mile mark, I had to endure over 800+ feet of climbing that spanned around 3-miles. I held an average speed of 14mph up until this point, and it dropped to about 10.

On the way back, I was pushing 25mph+ going downhill, and for some crazy reason, I wanted to hold my average speed above 17mph for 15 miles straight. By the time I was at the 37-mile marker, my legs were burning out and cramping. By then, I realized that my pace was a bit too much for me, but I finished out the run anyways.

According to Strava, I managed to burn 1,800 calories, and my suffer score was "historic" at 312. I didn't realize that I suffered so much! Either way, I managed to test my ability to go the distance, and I was happy with my results.

My wife is pretty impressed with my road cycling work and we are in the process of finding her a bike too. So far, I am looking at a Specialized Dolce for her that I found on Pink Bike, but we will see.

My weight loss adventure-fullsizeoutput_4dd.jpg

jcd's best friend
    My work has been paying off in many different ways now! Today, I picked up a 2018 Giant Fathom 2 (29er) and decided to take her out for a spin. Wow, I can see a huge difference in my endurance thanks to all of my road cycling. I had a hard time climbing a specific hill on my XC circuit. Now, I fly up it and just keep on going. I completed 8.6 miles in about an hour which is way more than I have done in the past. I wanted to keep on going but I had to shut it down due to the heat. My body wasn't even exhausted. I just wanted to keep on going. This positive motivation is going to keep me moving forward. I absolutely love XC riding and road cycling.

My road biking is going very well. I am pushing 20-30 mile cycling sessions around 3 times a week and nature rewarded me with some amazing photographs of my adventures. I told my wife about the things I've seen and now she wants to road bike with me. While purchasing my Fathom, I picked up a Specialized Dolce Elite for her as well. We scoped it out over the weekend and decided to give it a few days to make a decision. Yep, instead of 1 bike, we ended up with 2 haha!

To date, I have lost 8lbs in total weight. I've been eating much better and making all of my hard work count for something. In 4 weeks, I have completed over 250 miles on my road bike with over 10k feet worth of climbing. I want to extend those numbers out!

Here is a picture of my Fathom!

My weight loss adventure-img_0598_zpsieiqdfhf.jpg

Cycologist
    Congrats on the new bikes! I thought I was going to have to tell you to gtf outta here until you got yourself a proper bike. JK, I actually have more road bikes at the moment than mountain bikes, though I mostly ride mtb. And congrats on your weight loss, improved diet and increased fitness; keep at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

jcd's best friend
    I weighed in a few days ago and I am down to 272lbs. That's 13lbs of weight lost this summer. I am doing 40 mile road cycling sessions on my endurance bike without any major cramps, loss of breath, or endurance. My last session was 37 miles with about 2,300ft worth of climbing. Today, I decided to change up my bike. Instead of riding a 22 pound endurance bike, I am now riding a 16 pound road bike! I sold my Defy and I am now part of the Trek family! I have an Emonda SL 6! What an amazing bike! I plan to take this bike and push my endurance levels higher. Hopefully, this effort will lead to more weight loss and more endurance on my mountain bike too.

I felt that I would achieve my weight loss and competitive goals on an actual road bike rather than an overweight endurance bike. The geometry is making the biggest difference. I should have bought a road bike from the start rather than dabble with an endurance bike. My Defy's weight and geometry just didn't let me ride hard enough! Lesson learned.

My weight loss adventure-img_0820_zpsjeadyxme.jpg

My weight loss adventure-img_0819_zps8yevdvhg.jpg

jcd's best friend
    Correction: I am now 268lbs as of today!

jcd's best friend
    I'm very excited to report that I have lost 21 lbs! My road cycling and mountain biking has paid off big time. My clothes don't fit anymore and neither do my cycling kits. On Strava, I am starting to see a shift in my best ride times for trails and road sections. I guess dropping 21 lbs is starting to affect my overall speed and performance. My mountain biking endurance is so much stronger than before. I am starting to make plans for some actual mountain biking rides that aren't related to bike parks. We have a lot of awesome trails out here in WA and I want to try out a couple of them.

As of today, I am now 264 lbs. I guess my cycling work and my wife feeding me vegetables 3 times a day has contributed to my success up to this point.

I also picked up a GoPro Hero 5 Black to record some of my work. I probably won't record any road cycling stuff because I wear a heart rate monitor and I like wearing chest harnesses. I am not really sure what content I want to create, so I will experiment with ideas. I am also a video editor so this project will be fun.

If you are interested in my YouTube, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCct...HS5F_x6p5HNyYg

Also, I signed up for the Ryan Leech Connection which will help me build my mountain biking skill set. It's all online and the coaching team will watch your videos and give feedback based on the lesson you are on. Right now, I am working on balance and track stands. I will upload some of this content to my YouTube just to get things rolling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    kewl.. impressive results good on ya'

I have just started riding again .. I'm 6'3" 265lbs which is down about 10lbs from the beginning of summer my goal is to get down to 220~115 ish (if still working out and kinda bulked up..)

I've been riding a bit further each ride.. nothing too great so far but trying to to hurt myself .. I got down to 220lbs working out / swimming ..etc a few years ago ..and then promptly had a rotator injury and could do much and gained all the weight back =\

oh well keep up the good work I to hope to continue my quest for a healthier weight.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    kewl.. impressive results good on ya'

I have just started riding again .. I'm 6'3" 265lbs which is down about 10lbs from the beginning of summer my goal is to get down to 220~115 ish (if still working out and kinda bulked up..)

I've been riding a bit further each ride.. nothing too great so far but trying to to hurt myself .. I got down to 220lbs working out / swimming ..etc a few years ago ..and then promptly had a rotator injury and could do much and gained all the weight back =\

oh well keep up the good work I to hope to continue my quest for a healthier weight.
    It will happen in due time. I realized that mountain biking didn't help with my weight loss and I had to switch to road cycling. It made a huge impact. My legs are so much stronger and I can climb up and down stairs much easier than I used to. I guess all of this climbing on a road bike does pay off after a while. I average between 1600-2000ft worth of climbing on most of my road cycling sessions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I realized that mountain biking didn't help with my weight loss and I had to switch to road cycling. It made a huge impact.
    I do agree, and It took me awhile to notice the difference. Awhile ago, I was feeling it should be the same, because I was far more tired coming off a short trial ride compared to high miles on the rode.

Now, my rode miles is my weight loss and strength training, while the trail is purely for fun. I do whatever I can to strengthen myself while riding rode. I purposely pick inclines to go up, and the tuffest I loop back and forth a few times.

I'm now totally convinced I will not buy a rode bike, but continue with an excellent MTB on my horrible pothole area. Yet, even if the path were all smooth, I'd still ride a mtb for my miles.

Now, my weight loss adventure is aggravating. I'm not sure to call it a discouraging plataue, but its a little different. For some reason, I have been in a weight fluctuation of 241 - 249lbs for months now.

I will work pretty hard and maybe get down a little below 241, and take a 2day break, and be right back to my non moving scale. Once I thought I beat it with seeing 235 on the scale, but that was an illusion of course... lol

The part that's totally strange and this goes with people saying dont pay attention to the scale. My cloths do not fit the same. I'm needing smaller cloths. I have gone as far as cloths I was looking forward to fitting being large now.

Before my bike I was morbidly obese, and now I'm a few lbs from being fat and overweight..... lol

Kinda weird to be excited about being fat and overweight, but I am.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

jcd's best friend
    Great to hear HAMP! I am very happy that I picked up road cycling. Road cycling was a life-changing event for me. It's night and day difference with my mountain biking endurance. I can ride 10 miles and I still have energy to keep going. I like to road cycle during the week and mountain bike on the weekend.

I am wondering where my plateau will begin. I am betting that it will start around where you are now. I also have to get new wardrobe. All of my clothes are now too big and I complain to my wife that I look like a homeless bum who wears the wrong sized clothes. I watched some of my old video content and saw how big I was before summer. It's amazing how much different I look now.

I still look big in my current YouTube content, but I am very patient and I just plan to keep going and see where I end up. Being part of the Ryan Leech Connection motivates me to continue my weight loss while progressing my skill set. I cant wait to hit my target weight goals and see where my skill set will be by then.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    All of my clothes are now too big and I complain to my wife that I look like a homeless bum who wears the wrong sized clothes.
    This made laugh, because I know exactly what you mean. Usually I can make large cloths look nice, depending on how I wear them, but I'm pass that.

I like trying on some of the cloths that I bought that were to small. I had a few items that I kept, either because I was too lazy to send back or felt I gotten a great deal and felt I would fit them 1 day. I never would have thought 85lbs would make that big of a difference.

But I'm most proud of:
    Not needing the cpap machine
    No longer need to take:
    2 different high blood pressure meds(with doctors approval)
    2 different meds daily for gout control(or others when it flares up)
    Metformin
    TREK 2012 Marlin

jcd's best friend
    As of today, I am hanging out at 262 lbs in body weight. I managed to burn 23 lbs in weight over the entire summer. It's been quite the accomplishment, but the real challenge is now here. In the PNW, we have rain. Plenty of it. Not to mention, my college quarter started up and I have no break during the week to get some road cycling done. Not to mention, the sun will go down by 4pm as we inch closer to winter. The odds are stacked against me for my weight loss goals!

I did change things up a little bit and hopefully, it will work out as a viable solution. I've been using my elliptical twice a week before my college classes start in the morning. For these sessions, I like to use my elliptical for 60 minutes near maximum level. It doesn't have the feel of road cycling, but it works. My wife is rather impressed that I can go max level on an elliptical for an hour while holding a steady pace.

Twice a week, I have a big gap between my classes. I thought about filling that gap in with a couple of weekly mountain biking sessions seeing I live less than a mile from my local bike park. It would change things up and I wouldn't have to use my elliptical as frequently.

Does anyone have tips they want to share when it comes to losing weight over the winter? My short term goal is to get into the low 250s before the end of winter!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Frustration frustration frustration!!!
    My 85lbs lost has turn into 75lbs only. Yes that is a gain of 10. I hit my lowest of 235lbs, but a struggle keeping it that low. For some reason my weight was like a weird plateau. My weight was would be different each day I weighed. I was weighing in at 241 - 249 for weeks. Recently I've been stuck right at 240lbs.

Like Battery mention, things change during fall/winter. Last winter I was lucky, because I was able to maintain with a little lost along the way.

According to the BMI, I'm still obese and a few pounds away to being fat and overweight. Then I wanted to lose a little more to claim the 100lb lost.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
    According to the BMI, I'm still obese and a few pounds away to being fat and overweight. Then I wanted to lose a little more to claim the 100lb lost.
    Don't you hate the BMI chart sometimes? LOL! I'm lucky to hold my weight at 262 lbs right now. I havent' had much physical activity this week due to some of my military-connected issues. I am not sure if it's due to the colder weather but my damn joints hurt so much more. My hands are the worst of all my joints. The VA performed x-rays on my hands and found no arthritis but my hands hurt as if I do have it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes the ole BMI chart can be a conversation piece, A hated chart. Since so many heavy people tell me the chart is BS, I made it a priority to follow it. I'm not going to get down to the ideal weight..... F that....

I do plan to join the 100lbs lost club... lol

Sorry to hear about the pain. Believe me, I know baaaaad joint pain. With the weight loss, I haven't had an gout attack over 1 1/2 years now. Before I was having back to back attacks within weeks of each other. Controlled gout is the BEST thing that has happened for me.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    hi.. checking back in here.. I have been riding 3~ times per week .. there is a new bike park just blocks from my house..

I'm getting stronger it is a 3~mile uphill ride to the top of the park(mostly not super steep but a bit of it is super steep) .. a few weeks ago, I had to stop 2x times and walk my bike up the steep bits.. now last two times I rode the 3 mile climb without stopping and rode up the steeper sections without having to hike a bike..

if I'm honest I'm way way more a fan of the rather brisk 3mile downhill run home however =p...

BUT.. absolutely no difference in weight.. I suspect weight is shifting about some however (more muscles) I have also been lifting weights regularly as well..

clothes fit a little better but weight is still 265~lbs at 6'3"

the BMI chart is bs... I'll never be 200lbs which is the cut for "healthy weight" I'm built with big shoulders and arms 8" wrists.. if I could get back to 220~230lbs I would be happy as a clam that was assured it would never be chowder.

I really don't want to road bike... I'm well scared of cars I don't like the couple block ride on the street to the bike park.. I may start trying to use the stationary bikes at the gym perhaps?

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    I really don't want to road bike... I'm well scared of cars I don't like the couple block ride on the street to the bike park.. I may start trying to use the stationary bikes at the gym perhaps?
    I've always hated stationary bikes. They crush my nuts really bad and I start to go numb. It's mostly due to the seat design. I did take my mountain bike for a 1 hr ride at my local bike park during my 3 hr down time. I really didn't exercise too much. Instead, I was recording myself with my GoPro Hero 7 Black and riding the freeride trails lol!

mtbr member
    Congrats my friend. My bike and diet was the best way to get my weight off. 123 total pounds down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jcd's best friend
    Wow nice work! This might sound funny but when I sit down, I dont have a huge gut hanging out. It's my easy indicator that my routine is working well.

Yesterday, I went out on a 11-mile trail ride with a buddy of mine who is in the Army. He is a great guy. He's been mountain biking over 2 years on a Giant Talon and earned pretty much every dollar he spent on it. He is a shiny example of what a rider can do with an entry level bike.

Anyways, I seemed to have out-rode him because he was done around the 11-mile mark. I wanted to keep going. I'm never sore after my mountain bike rides. I'm not sure why. I am usually worn out after my road cycling adventures but never my mountain biking trips. I still breathe very heavy when I climb (never sore), but I hope that my weight loss will help with that as I drop well below 250 lbs and I push less weight on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Wow nice work! This might sound funny but when I sit down, I dont have a huge gut hanging out. It's my easy indicator that my routine is working well.
    My weight loss has caused me to have to mental confusion at times. Pretty much the parts of the body that I didn't consider to be a fat problem or didn't mind having some weight, but now it's gone.

I've seen people with fat hands and fat feet, but I've never seen those as an issue with myself. I wanted to get rid of the extremely wide 'love handles', the big wide ole turtle back and neck fat.

Coming down in a few pant sizes has been a conversation piece when the subject comes up, but not the other parts.

My hands/fingers...
    My wedding ring needing adjustment. I haven't taken it to be adjusted yet, because I don't know where my weight loss journey will end. I don't want to keep resizing. When I noticed my ring getting loose, It was a sign of physical change and I was happy. When it started falling off, that was actually mentally weird to me. Now it's falling off after I added a cheap ring size adjuster. Sometimes I find it irritating and take the ring off, because it feels weird.

My feet...
    I never had the problem of shoe broken down on the sides. I have always worn my cloths well. Some of my shoe I really don't like now, because I have to pull the shoe strings tighter and make the sides damn near touch. Most of my casual comfortable work shoes has made me look like a clown. I haven't replaced any of my Chuck Taylor's that I donated(I don't like new chucks, but I love worn in).

When I first gotten back into riding a bike for weight loss, each year it was always 40lbs lost and then regained during the winter months. It was always fun going cloths shopping for the weight lost. I just stored the cloths for the weight gain, mainly winter stuff.

Telling the story of of losing weight and getting cloths that are multiple sizes smaller sounds good on paper, but at times I have some mental problems with confusion.

I know I know, it sounds very very stupid to make something that is a good thing sound like a problem. I honestly can't believe I'm telling this, and I simply don't want to press the 'Submit' button.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

jcd's best friend
    It's all good. I'm glad you did. Believe me, I understand the mental health concerns and weight loss. My mental health concerns are a totally different thread on its own. In a nutshell, I suffered from depression for an extremely long time due to the hardships I endured while serving in the military.

I normally don't talk about my mental health problems with people. Most of the time, they see a happy person who has a good time being myself. In a sense, that was who I became after I retired from the military. I had to teach myself that I still had some self worth left after everything I've been through in life. Cycling helped me find my self worth and my wife can see it. She doesn't get too hard on me when I buy a new bike or bike parts. I've been cycling close to 4 years now and she knows that cycling is for my mental health.

Don't beat yourself up too hard about body weight. You should learn to make peace with who you are now...weight and everything. I don't blame myself for hitting 285 lbs. Instead, I made peace with the fact that I did and I made it a point to turn it around. How did I turn it around? I sold my favorite mountain bike, a Specialized Stumpjumper, for a road bike. This gesture pretty much threw me in the right direction. Once you make peace with yourself, then you will know how to proceed.

Until then, stay the course and keep pedaling!

jcd's best friend
    Here is a riding adventure that I did over the weekend with my Army friend. He has been riding a Giant Talon for over 2 years. He rides that bike pretty damn good! I let him take a hot lap on my bike (off camera) and he realized afterward that an upgrade is way overdue on his end. I told him to ride out front for the camera and he had no problem with that.

I'm also a Final Cut Pro X video editor and working on new ways to present my recordings. The camera I used was a GoPro Hero 7 Black shot in 4k 30fps and superview mode. I love the hypersmooth! I can switch out my Hero 4/gimbal for a Hero 7 more often!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Don't beat yourself up too hard about body weight. You should learn to make peace with who you are now...weight and everything.!
    No, no, no, don't mis-understand, I am happy with myself and the weight I have lost. I'm extremely proud of not needing to take anymore prescription medications. I can't express the joy I have now that I have my gout under control or possibly gotten rid of it. It's been over a year and a half since my last attack. I was having attacks on a regular while taking preventive meds, before that...(I don't want to remember that mess)

The purpose of the post was simply me expressing my confusion to the extreme change in clothing sizes.

But,

Biking did stop me from the beginnings of being depressed. I was on my way. I didn't loathe being 320lbs, but all of the medical problems it caused. I was a smooth dressing big boy.... lol

The weight caused me to have gout attacks and being laid up caused more weight. The crazy back to back gout attacks and gaining more weight started 22 or 23yrs ago. I wish I knew back then it was because of weight gain, and losing would stop the attacks. Gout had all my joints messed up. I couldn't walk 2 houses from me before being in pain.
    Also, my ignorance of sleep apnea was ridiculous, but that's fine now. Blood pressure is normal now. Blood glucose is normal now.

I've gone from couldn't walk up my block to riding 26.5 or 31.5 miles per day(5days aweek) on a low budget MTB. I'm happy with the weight change, and with myself.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My weight loss adventure-superflymaybury.jpg

I just realized I never uploaded a picture of that bike. It's a 23in carbon frame.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

jcd's best friend
    Thought Iíd share my new wheelset for my bike. I love my Hope wheels but I need a rim with a bigger inner diameter and a little more strength. Wayne @SpeedGearBike built and shipped me a 29er set of Stanís Flow with Bitex hubs for $460. He is an excellent wheel builder with a lot of experience. I also added Cush Core to my wheels for a bit more padding. Iíve been curious how Cush Core would feel for a Clyde rider. Plus, Iím starting to ride a bit harder and Cush Core will probably give me a hand with comfort and stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thought Iíd share my new wheelset for my bike. I love my Hope wheels but I need a rim with a bigger inner diameter and a little more strength. Wayne @SpeedGearBike built and shipped me a 29er set of Stanís Flow with Bitex hubs for $460. He is an excellent wheel builder with a lot of experience. I also added Cush Core to my wheels for a bit more padding. Iíve been curious how Cush Core would feel for a Clyde rider. Plus, Iím starting to ride a bit harder and Cush Core will probably give me a hand with comfort and stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    congrats on the new wheelset !!