Track Junkie

My settings for Fox 36RC2 Talas...CLYDES!

I've had my Fox 36 rc2 on my Specialized Enduro for about 8 months now. Overall, i've been a bit dissapointed in it's performance, especially with all of the great reviews i've read/heard. I'm coming off of an '03 Marzocchi Super-T Pro, and absolutely loved the performance of the Super-T.

Last night I totally readjusted my settings, and today took it for a spin on some rough, technical trails as well as some good climbs and fireroads. I'm happy to report that I think I've found a great setup for the fork.

I weigh about 240lbs with all my cycling gear on. My new settings are:

Air pressure: 50psi. I know this seems waaay too low, but on the trail it felt great. I was using nearly all of the travel, but never felt ANY bottoming. This was the biggest change, from an old setting of 70psi.

Rebound: From all the way out, 7 clicks in. Fast enough to handle braking bumps and rock gardens, slow enough to maintain control.

Compression, High speed (Big knob): From all the way out, 1 click in.
    Compression, Low speed (Small knob): From all the way out, 7 clicks in.

I'm also running a stock Specialized Enduro tire 2.35 at 35psi.

I'm surprised at how dramaticly different the fork handles now. It rolls through ruts without following them. The fork doesn't feel sketch or kick when compressed hard in burmed turns. At high speed the fork was well balanced and predictable. Even climbing the fork had minimal bob when seated (and for long grinds I would reduced the travel to the minimum).

I'm a happy camper now. I'll report back after Monday's longer ride, which is FULL of very rough trails, large rocks, and small drops.

Hope you find this useful!

-Brad
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I am running the 36 RC2 right now as well. I am getting used to it and have tried a couple of different settings on various trails ranging from buff single track, to rock and root strewn technical trails.

I tried a lower air pressure and although it felt smoother, it bottomed too easily. I now have it set up more to my liking, but I would not recommend this fork to anyone over 200lbs. The fork does not seem to be able to keep up to high speed stutter bumps and is not as plush or adjustable as my coil Pike.

This is not to say the 36 is not a good fork, but there are better options out there and cheaper. I am going to play around with mine for a little while longer before the Pike goes on.

Track Junkie
    Initally, I thought the fork was bottoming out too easily and didn't work well on stutter bumps. However, the problem is that the fork has too much rebound dampening, and was packing up.

I've reduced the rebound dampening a few clicks and the stutter bumps are soaked up well now. I have not noticed any adverse affects since speeding up the rebound dampening, especially with the lower air pressure. In the 'parking lot' test, the rebound seems fast, but on the trail it works great.

Hope this helps.

-Brad
    I get paid to ride shotgun.