mtbr member

My newest Clyde Worthy Steed

I have been running a Giant VTone for a while now but it has always been a little small for me. I found a great deal on a 2004 Heckler frame and started the build. Fortunately one of the guys I ride with regularly was in love with my Giant and bought it to fund my new parts....all in all I am very happy with the results!

2004 Santa Cruz Heckler
    150mm RockShox Revelation Team Dual Air Black Box fork
    Mavic Crossmax XL Wheels and Hubs
    Specialized Purgatory 2.4 front Captain 2.2 rear tubeless
    Raceface bottom bracket and cranks
    Fox RP23 shock
    740mm BooBars
    60mm FSA Stem
    Cane Creek Headset
    SRAM x9 shifters and derailleurs
    Avid Juicy 7 Brakes
    Jagwire cables

My newest Clyde Worthy Steed-enusy4ej.jpg
    My newest Clyde Worthy Steed-5u5ezury.jpg
    My newest Clyde Worthy Steed-ydesazyh.jpg

I got it put together last night and ran behind up the hills behind the house for a quick run. This frame fits me much better and I have more room to move around when climbing which is improved. I really like the feel of the suspension and see why the Heckler has such a strong following, simple and effective! This bike needs some dialing in in the suspension department but it pedals great and the platform on the RP23 works very well with the geometry. The switch to a wide bar short stem setup is going to take a bit of getting used to. I love the rider position but the steering is VERY quick!! It is very responsive and almost turns the instant I think about it. I am headed out for a longer ride this morning and will see what adjustments have to be made. I always wanted a Heckler and am one happy camper!

mtbr member
    Nice rig. Looks like it will handle anything you can throw at it. Prolly not too heavy either. I just went to 720 bars and shorter stem, a 70mm though, and know what you mean. Feels different but right. Enjoy the "new" bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I had a great ride this morning...woke up to a brisk 27F temperature which made for some cold toes but well worth it.

My newest Clyde Worthy Steed-img_20130525_064557.jpgMy newest Clyde Worthy Steed-img_20130525_064647.jpgMy newest Clyde Worthy Steed-img_20130525_064721.jpgMy newest Clyde Worthy Steed-img_20130525_075540.jpg

I don't know if it is the geometry, new longer cranks, larger frame, wider bars or new bike smell but I was much faster on all of my times this morning. I was climbing hills on the middle chain ring where I had to use the small one before. There are two steep, rocky, technical climbs that I have not been able to make until today!! I made both of them while clipped in! This bike is a beast on the downhill, I think the combination of wide bars and short stem are really showing their worth. All in all I am very happy with this setup...I may put a little more air in the fork to prevent some brake dive and put bigger rotors on but that is about it.

On a side note, I was quickly reminded how much wider these bars are. I was on a downhill cut into a steep hill. There is a section between two cedar trees that gets tight....if you hug the inside it is easier to clear the 12" rock right between them....I was a little to tight, clipped the tree on my right and me and the bike slid down the hill about 15' until some brush stopped us. A little scraped up but no big deal. The guy behind me got to the same spot and went over his bars....one of those days.

More good times to come!

mtbr member
    Ok...a couple from this morning before the expected rain, the trails were in absolutely perfect condition.

My newest Clyde Worthy Steed-img_20130526_083534.jpgMy newest Clyde Worthy Steed-img_20130526_083654.jpgMy newest Clyde Worthy Steed-img_20130526_083756.jpgMy newest Clyde Worthy Steed-img_20130526_083931.jpg

Still messing with the seat height and air pressure in the fork and shock. Even with that and riding the past few days in a row I still had PR on all of my climb and decent segments. She is a keeper.