Thread: my new SURLY...

Fat boy Mod Moderator

my new SURLY...

so today with the help of Mark (and Chris) up at Truly Spokin (Pensacola FL)

I turned this

into this... (have clipless pedals in the bag waiting to go on)

its a SURLY 1x1... it JUST barely fits 29er wheels (made for fat 26" wheels)... the 2.1 kenda SB8 just barely fit

up front it's a little more forgiving a 2.2 nevangal fits with 35ish PSI in it...

also went from an 18t to 20t cog... (i'm fat n slow... and haven't ridden in a while)

its my first SS that i'm ok to ride (the GT was just way to small lol)

need to get the small things tweaked and install the 1/2 link on the chain and she should be done...

got the GT for $320... traded the frame for the SURLY frame... buddy at the LBS can't seem to sell a 22" XL 1x1 frame... but he's got 3 people lined up for a reasonably priced med 29er SS... so a deal was struck...

so again thanks to the guys at Truly spokin... can't wait to hit the trail
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Disabled Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    so today with the help of Mark (and Chris) up at Truly Spokin (Pensacola FL)

I turned this

into this... (have clipless pedals in the bag waiting to go on)

its a SURLY 1x1... it JUST barely fits 29er wheels (made for fat 26" wheels)... the 2.1 kenda SB8 just barely fit

up front it's a little more forgiving a 2.2 nevangal fits with 35ish PSI in it...

also went from an 18t to 20t cog... (i'm fat n slow... and haven't ridden in a while)

its my first SS that i'm ok to ride (the GT was just way to small lol)

need to get the small things tweaked and install the 1/2 link on the chain and she should be done...

got the GT for $320... traded the frame for the SURLY frame... buddy at the LBS can't seem to sell a 22" XL 1x1 frame... but he's got 3 people lined up for a reasonably priced med 29er SS... so a deal was struck...

so again thanks to the guys at Truly spokin... can't wait to hit the trail
    AWESOME!!! Can't wait to see you posting up dirty pics of 'erold friend! 2011 went out with a bang for ya,mad props
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Enjoy it sir!
    Chris, 6'1" 275lb clyde, Giant Anthem x 29er w/FULL 2012 XT group, Giant Defy Composite Ultegra. Team Truly Spokin!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    thanks Chris... and thanks for helping me out with a few of those new to me tools ... got all the little things ironed out on it and plan to take it out on the trail tommarow (being that it's going to be in the 70's again)....

should be fun
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtb enthusiast
    Awesome man! Post pics of the 'new girl' on some rides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    That rear chainstay is gonna collect some mud. Just built up a troll. I love it! It's just a great bike just to ride. So comfy

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ya thankfully our trails don't get to much in the way of mud...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Stuffing those 29's in there is interesting.
    Get it unlocked.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I'm def not the first person to stuff 29ers into a 1x1... although not as common these days (back in the day it was a good way to try out 29er wheels without the expensive of a 29er bike... ya know before every other bike you saw on the trail was a 29er lol...

ok got her out on the trail...

found out a few things I already knew and a few things I didn't...

- bike was geared low... on the flats was able to spin out easily... DH there was no point in even pedaling most of the time...

- very out of shape fat boy (haven't ridden in the last year and 1/2) + SS turns into hike-a-bike frequently...

- the super high BB = a pretty high center of gravity... feels a bit odd and will take some getting used to in the turns... but it also let me be even lazier and could keep one foot down for most everything instead of keeping the pedals at 9 and 3 o'clock like the lower BB requires.

-that 2.3 exiwolf can run MUCH lower PSI then I even expected... nice on a rigid bike

- before the ride I spent a bit of time with my dremel on the nub of the seat stays (for fenders I think)... glad I did, during the ride the wheel slipped very slightly forward and would have been rubbing if I hadn't... def plan to get a chain tug for safety...

- Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by estabro View Post
    Stuffing those 29's in there is interesting.
    The only thing "interesting" I can see is that the BB and therefore the rider's position will be higher than a true 29er frame. This will take away a little bit of the stability and "in the bike" feel of a 29er. On the flip side the chainstay length is shorter for easier wheelies

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    yup it's a very tall bike... deff not a true 29er... most people couldn't live with the high top tube (I have about as much room as I did on my pre compact type road bike... but it seems to ride OK... I think it would make an awesome monster cross bike

but I also bought it ment with some fat tires and some other tyto get me back on a bike NOW... I intend to pick up a real 29er in not to long which will let me experment down the road
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new bike! How does it compare on the trail to the GT Peace you traded in?
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    never got the gt on the trail... was scared to ride it even with the 400mm seatpost I had less then an inch below the top tube...

but it was a proper 29er not a 26er that sorta fits 29er stuff lol... I think it would make a better 650b then 29er... if you ride more agressive stuff the high BB would be nice but the high top tube would hurt... lol
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That higher BB clearance will be great for log crossings.
    Chris, 6'1" 275lb clyde, Giant Anthem x 29er w/FULL 2012 XT group, Giant Defy Composite Ultegra. Team Truly Spokin!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    yup there was one area that I always had to time it just right with the pedals back on the karate monkey... with this I didn't need to worry about pedal strike the entire ride lol...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie