mtbr member
    Jul 2009

... and if we just ... My new Kona Hoss

I bought a new 2009 Kona Hoss and I love it. I made my decision on the Hoss based on information I read on the Clyde forum. This bike rocks, climbs like mountain goat, excellent brakes, killer fork. I picked it up yesterday and hit the trails this morning for about 10 miles. I recently broke the frame on my old GT Pantera and was in need of a new bike that could meet my needs. I can't wait to get back to the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    grats on the new wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

New Grip Suggestion

I am not really fond of the grips that are stock on the bike. My old bike I put a pair of YETI grips on and they were excellent. This bike has the lock on style grips, I am looking for a suggestion for a lock on style that provides cushioning and a sticky grip. Any suggestions??? Thanks!!!!

Peace 9r Ownr
    Grats man! Sounds like a nice bike. I like Kona.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioMTB
    I am not really fond of the grips that are stock on the bike. My old bike I put a pair of YETI grips on and they were excellent. This bike has the lock on style grips, I am looking for a suggestion for a lock on style that provides cushioning and a sticky grip. Any suggestions??? Thanks!!!!
    I use ESI chunky grips on my 2008 Kona Hoss. They're not lock-on grips, but they grab the handlebars like super-glue and NEVER throttle, no matter how hard I ride. They are, by far, the most comfortable grips I've ever used. Very soft and smooth, yet my hands never slip, and they absorb all impacts with ease. They were tough to put on at first, but then I got the hang of it. I've been through scorching sun, torrential downpour, and nasty mud pits with them. You can get them at esigrips.com

I'm not a big fan of lock-on grips anyways. In my experience, lock-on grips go on easier than most others, so despite the lock-ons, they still throttle where they flex in the middle.

Making fat cool since '71
    Oury lock-on grips are what you say you are looking for. They are my faves. If you live anywhere near where it ever rains, lock-on grips are a good idea.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioMTB
    I bought a new 2009 Kona Hoss and I love it. I made my decision on the Hoss based on information I read on the Clyde forum. This bike rocks, climbs like mountain goat, excellent brakes, killer fork. I picked it up yesterday and hit the trails this morning for about 10 miles. I recently broke the frame on my old GT Pantera and was in need of a new bike that could meet my needs. I can't wait to get back to the trails.
    Congrats! I have the 1st series Kona Hoss (light blue) not the deluxe model. This was Euro specs purchased overseas at Ramstein AB Outdoor Rec. The only negative is the paint job, chips easy compared to my 93 Specialized Rockhopper!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I heard mention in a thread to use a product called Shoe Goo to put on grips. Also there are a couple of variations of this stuff in the sporting goodsand household sections at Wal Mart. (shoe dept. as well. Oury grips and Shoe Goo stuff sound like a plan. Chek the mtbr search.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld