dirty trail dog

My new Clyde ride

I had been accumulating parts over the past year to build up a full suspension Giant frame I wrangled out of a relative, but when my weight wouldn't budge from around 250 no matter how much I rode my hardtail, I decided to not use the flimsey racer-boy Giant NRS Air frame for fear of it splitting down the middle and impaling me.

The parts list I had put together was quite impressive, so I figured I should just take all the parts and stuff them on my Hardrock Sport Disk and have a pretty badass bottom feeder.

But heck, that frame is awful heavy, ya know? I started thinking I needed a new lightweight frame that was sturdy enough to hold my fat butt. I didn't need to look very far. My brother had just bought an Access frame from Performance for $159, and after we put his bike together, it weighed in at around 25 lbs. He's a big kid and he said he could not detect any odd frame behavior and pronounced the Access frame to be a "pretty sweet ride".

So I bought a red one, slapped on my XT/XTR, Thomson, Avid, Cane Creek parts, and created the beast you see below. Unfortunately, I've only been able to ride it once since we finished it 3 weeks ago thanks to all the rain around here and a week-long business trip to SoCal. But I sure like looking at it.

It has a 2006 RS Reba Race, Avid BB5 brakes, XT shift/lever pods, XT cassette and front derailleur, XTR rear derailleur/cranks/chain, Thomson seatpost and stem, Mavic/DT Swiss Onyx wheels, ODI lock ons with Cane Creek Ergo II barends, Axonic World Force bar....and it weighs in at 28 lbs exactly. I lost almost 9 lbs from my HR Sport.

Say what you want about Performance, but this frame is pretty sweet. The tubing is shaped nicely, the welds are clean, it has a replaceable hanger, nice paint, and it feels sturdy as a rock. This frame was actually marketed by Supergo originally, but we know what happened there.

What do you think?

yep...

Freshly Fujified

Very nice hardtail

Looks excellent and has a great spec. Be sure to give us a ride report. As for the frame, I'm a huge believer that there are a lot of very good frames and components out there that people scoff at that are wonderful products. Looks like you may well have stumbled across one in the Access.

Enjoy the new ride.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

large member
    I almost snagged one of those frames at performance when they were down to 129.99 in January. I probably should have, seemed like an excellent frame for the money. Let me know how it rides after you get more mileage in!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Good choice going HT instead of Fool Suspension! A plush and broken bike does you no good when you are miles from home or your car! Nice mix of parts. Have fun!

mtbr member
    What size frame is that?

Freshly Fujified

Now, now

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyAZ
    Good choice going HT instead of Fool Suspension! A plush and broken bike does you no good when you are miles from home or your car! Nice mix of parts. Have fun!
    Hardtails break too.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyAZ
    Uh, I've snapped plenty of hard tails, so not sure I get ya there. Both suck to walk back to the car with when they are crunched.

locked - time out

Looks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dockrey
    What size frame is that?
    Like 18" from my vantage point.

I've been thinking about a 16" in silver for my next build, and after viewing that red devel
    its time to stop thinking and ordering!

Really nice, ENJOY.

Jake Pay, jealous Here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sorry, I was a little vague. I was refering to pivot points and such on full suspension bikes. Yes, I agree, all bikes can break. Being over 200 lbs, I think that I am better off on a HT than a full suspension bike. And yes, I have had several full suspension bikes in the last ten years.

dirty trail dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dockrey
    What size frame is that?
    Yeah, it's an 18". Sorry for the late reply.
    yep...

mtbr member
    I gotta say that I have always been drawn to the look and feel of FS rigs, but this HT you built up looks sharp! Good job, really something to be proud of.