mtbr member
    May 2005

My first Trek.....sweet

I had primarily been riding my XXL Stumpjumper single speed the last 6 months and wanted something racy with gears and suspension.
    Picked up the Superfly 100 Elite (23") yesterday evening, so only some rides around the house to get the feel....hope to ride tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first Trek.....sweet-dsc02807.jpg  

My first Trek.....sweet-dsc02812.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Surfdog, Nice new bike. Please let us know how you like it. I'm interested in this one but I'm a pretty big even for a clyde at 260 and am worried that this would not hold up under me.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Rode it on first trail (landfill) last night and the suspension, brakes, stability, comfort and cornering are what stand out.
    The suspension is nice and firm (at recommended weight-setting) and felt great going down and pedaling standing going up. It feels comfortable and solid and definitely more front-end planted than any other bike I've ridden, so I believe faster in the corners.
    I still need to get used to gears and need to dial in the cockpit, but overall I'm really pleased.
    I'll post a better review once I've really put some time in.

mtbr member
    I demoed one of these a few weeks ago. Great riding bike, a little too squishy for me but the Trek guys set it up and I didnt have my pump on hand to play around once I got out on the trail.

Tires seemed sketchy but they sure rolled fast with those big wheels.

Brakes were very very strong, even with tiny rotors.

If I were looking for a XC race machine it would be between this and the Tallboy for sure. Congrats!

Also, check with your LBS about that seatpost. The post had a minimum insertion mark but the Trek rep mentioned that the frame also has a minimum insertion point to keep the seattube intact. The Trek rep came to make sure that I didnt exceed the frame's minimum insertion mark, despite the fact that the post was well inserted into the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If I were looking for a XC race machine it would be between this and the Tallboy for sure. Congrats!

Thanks.
    Yeah, Tallboy and RDO were on my list as well.
    I ended up going with SF based on reviews and LBS support.

The tires are new 2.2's and though pretty small tread pattern seem to grip pretty well...time will tell

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Surf dog, how are liking your superfly now? Still happy with it? My local shop has the Al version in a smaller size. It looks to be a sweet ride. Any issue at all with the rear triangle? The local shop claims the rear triangle problems have been solved. Thanks, mark

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaulfinger View Post
    Surf dog, how are liking your superfly now? Still happy with it? My local shop has the Al version in a smaller size. It looks to be a sweet ride. Any issue at all with the rear triangle? The local shop claims the rear triangle problems have been solved. Thanks, mark
    Yes, I really like riding the Superfly, but must admit that I have been riding my SS hardtail much more frequently due to the fact that my closest trail is really sandy now and my SS is set up with big tires.
    On the plus side, it is an easy transition to go from one bike to the other, so am very glad to have both.
    The Superfly feels fast, exciting and really like the "firmish" suspension.
    I am going to make an effort to get to more XC trails tis year and really take advantage of what the Superfly has to offer.