mtbr member

My first ride in over 10+ years. Oh, and hello!

Hi all, I spontaneously rode my bike to work this mourning (just over 5 miles) and made it in 34 minutes. This was my FIRST time riding for that long of a duration in over 10+ years. I have always been a big guy but right now i'm just at 6'4" and weighing in around 270 pounds. Back in high school I was 6'3" and 320 pounds. A year after graduating, I got into working out and running and slimmed down to 180 pounds and grew an inch to 6'4". With the accumulation of a few college degrees, a wife, and a kid, I am now 270 pounds! I try to jog occasionally but recently got the biking bug and I am just loving it.

Anyways, I just wanted to say hi to ya'll and by the way, the bike I purchased for local/work commutes - 2000 Cannondale M400 w/ RST fork -- came with a nice seat that I found too stiff for my behind. It is a Specialized Sonoma 175. Its a really nice seat and looks great cosmetically; however, the ride wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be.

Anyways, I am glad I decided not to give up and now i'm somewhat looking to my ride home after work today. Hopefully this Oregon weather brightens up!

@adelorenzo
    Nice work, and keep it up!

On your first ride in 10 years ANY saddle is going to feel uncomfortable. Trust me on this, give it some time before you decide you need a new one. It might not be the right saddle for you but you can't know until you get your legs in shape.

I used to work in a bike shop and people would come in every spring looking for new saddles. The one that they used to love was uncomfortable now, they wanted something softer or wider or whatever. The real reason was just that they hadn't been on a bike for six months.

mtbr member
    I'll take your word for it. It is a great looking seat... It came with a shock absorbing seat post that I am not too fond of as well. I think I need to bring it down a bit with a regular seat post. It just feels great to be out there with the wind blowing in my face after so long.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    A seat shouldn't be painful regardless of how long it has been since you road. It won't be comfortable, but you should be in pain either. I was in your same boat earlier this year.... just over 10 years of no riding. Bought a WTB Speed V Comp saddle and have not looked back. I am 6'4" and dow 11 pounds in the last month to 314...

Welcome back to biking.... hope your bike doesn't break on you (mine is currently in the shop with a hopeless repair... walking an hour every morning to continue the weight loss though).
    Fat guys need bikes too.