mtbr member
    May 2009

My first ride in 10 years

I dug out my 1998 Gary Fisher Big Sur, found my old biking shoes, inflated my old tires, checked out the bike and then did something I hadn't done in about 10 years:

I rode my bike! Only did 6 miles, and that was on a rail trail, so flat and paved. I drove to the trailhead with my biking shoes on, and I know this might sound a little silly, but I actually just felt good wearing the shoes and looking in my rear view mirror at my bike sitting in it's rack.

I'm pretty far from where I was 10 years ago. I was a real weekend worrier back then. There were weekends where I did 100 miles between mountain biking and skating. Now I'm out of shape and 40 pounds heavier than I used to be.

As for the ride itself, well the first 2 miles were a real killer, but then things started to click a little better. I had planned on 5 miles, but was comfortable enough to do 6. I'm hoping for a 100 mile trip someday. It is doable. I also need to get back into the woods, which is my true love, but I want to get a little better on my bike first.

Now it's time to post in the 25,000 mile thread so I can do my little part.

Omaha Clyde
    Mar 2009
    exercise always makes a person feel better.....even better on a bike

Goodluck

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    dude, in feb. my friend said, " we should ride everyday", then wussed out two days later. but i've stuck w it. i've never been a rider, always loving just the bikes. i have ridden more in the last 3 months than i have in the last 15 yrs combined. still avoid hills tho. meh. i'll get there. welcome back to biking. careful, it'll suck you in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Keep going....I was 40 pounds overweight on March 1st. I am now only 19 pounds overweight.....
    The best advice I can give is pedal, pedal, pedal and the pounds will drop off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcongleton
    ...I know this might sound a little silly, but I actually just felt good ... looking in my rear view mirror at my bike sitting in it's rack. ...
    I totally get this. I get a good feeling seeing the bike in my rearview too. I sorta check it out from time to time as I head to the trail. I took some photos in my rearview with idea of using it as my avatar.

Keep riding!