GettingOff
    Jan 2004

Smile My Fat Experience

Hi
    I ride a 2001 Gemini XL, I am up to 280 lbs
    On the Sherman fork I used the heaviest spring and a custom damper stack
    I use s 800 lb spring on my Fox Shock
    I use a Brake Therapy, active rear brake upgrade.

It took a long time, cause the bike shop 'skinnies' are stupid on what to do for heavies.
    It took alot of money for me to sort it out.

1. skinnies cannot understand the brake jack that this bike offers heavy riders.
    this happens under extreme under breaking on downhills.
    shop dudes think they know but their occasional heavy mechanics riding style has to
    match the riders style, this is very unlikely.

2. the old fashioned way of estimating spring coil size based on sag, is absolutely
    wrong for heavy riders. contact the shock maker who can 'calculate' the spring
    size, based on bike, rider weight, and frame geometry.

Take my advice save lots of money.
    GBye

Your bike is incorrigible
    Hmmm, funny you should mention finding someone who can really get you set up with the correct spring rate right off the bat. The people who sold me my frame told me I needed a 450# spring rate. That was too light, so I went to the LBS. They ended up calling Progressive and telling them what my weight was and the bike I was riding. They sold me a 500# spring. I checked out TFtuned, and they recommended a 600# spring rate.

Uh, does anyone have any idea?

The 500# works well, but I do have to set the preload about halfway for it to sag 30%. I still have the original 450# spring, and it serves as motivation for me to lose weight. I figure I just need to lose something like 30 pounds and I can swap out springs!