mtbr member
    Apr 2009

My fat a$$ broke the seat.

It was my fault I was tired and in the saddle in the bottom of a whoopty doo. And crack, the seat came off the metal bars. The seat was bontrager that came with the bike. I liked it alot but would like something made for big boys. What saddles do you have and comments about them.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    I have tried a great number of seats very recently.. most I chose not to remember. A lot of Clydes are going to recomend the WTB Pure V, but I've ridden the Purve V, Velo Plush, and Speed V Sport. I'm 6'2" & started at 315 lb (now 305.6) only recently... I used the WTB test-ride program that a mainstream bike shop had to try their saddles for a week and return if I didnt like with no obligations... check into that.

My honest recommendation goes to the WTB Speed V ... I went over this in another thread but cant find it now, but basically, its slightly wider than the Pure, the nose is slightly wider and shorter, the seat is a lot flatter (saved my tailbone), doesnt have the seat stitching that I could feel after 10 miles on the Pure, is softer than the Pure but NOT mushy. It conformed to my derier pretty well, and I ride nothing else now. Sit on one, give it 10 seconds, and you wont feel the different seat gradients, it feels really solid as it conforms.

Overall, WTB Saddles seem to be pretty good, I'd search for that test ride program in a local or bigger bike chain nearby and give a couple a try for free before settling .. oh, and I'm told good bike shorts or underliners for your normal shorts like the Nevara or Aerotech help a lot, I just ordered my first set of Nevara's literally minuets ago.

mtbr member
    I recently got a WTB Power V, thanks to this thread, and I love it. The rails are over-sized so they take my abuse much better, so far. The saddle is designed for DH use, so it's bit on the large side, but I've hardly noticed it while riding.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Welcome to the forum, Assetsinwater. The Red is correct; if you have a chance to utilize the WTB test-ride program, do it! In then end (bad pun), saddles boil (another really bad pun...) down to personal preference.

As also mentioned by The Red, the WTB Pure V is popular amongst clydes, as is the Power V. For me, I chose to go with the WTB Laser V. I tried the Power V, but it was simply too big for my tastes. Again, just personal preference.

Here's another thread with some related comments on saddles for clydes that you might want to peruse:

comfortable saddle for a clyde?
    comfortable saddle for a clyde ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thank you very much. I have just gotten into this sport and never thought that a workout could be so much fun. I will check on the test program. Hopefully theres a lbs here that will do it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert
    I recently got a WTB Power V, thanks to this thread, and I love it. The rails are over-sized so they take my abuse much better, so far. The saddle is designed for DH use, so it's bit on the large side, but I've hardly noticed it while riding.

This might sound stupid. But does this seat require a different seat post mount other than the standard two bars?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    There is a Pure V (OE-original equipment) saddle being sold at jensonusa.com right now for 20 bucks. There are different types of Pure V saddles I think, so I'm not sure if it is the right one being talked about though. I think the sale one is the Pure V Race.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Assetsinwater
    This might sound stupid. But does this seat require a different seat post mount other than the standard two bars?
    Nope, I mounted it up to my regular seat post with no problems

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have both the Pure V and the Power V. The Power V is more comfortable to sit on, but it is a LONG saddle, and I found that it caught on my shorts more often than the Pure.

I could fix this problem by switching to lycra, but.... eh....

mtbr member
    I've caught my shorts on the nose of the Power V a few times, but only when I was getting on the bike from a stop, it was no big deal.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Yeah, the whole seat-catching-my-shorts thing is what encouraged my return to the WTB Laser V.

It probably wouldn't have been quite so traumatic if it hadn't caused a mild scene when I was flying down a long, steep road and pulled my shorts down to my thighs as I was just passing a girls softball game in the park.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sette Strike DH saddle from pricepoint.com. ...just curious about it.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Your seat will be fine.. all the WTB seats have the two bars... and I'm actually not sure if I've ever seen a different style of seat, as in without the two bars, but I'm not exactly very worldly on other types of post / seat combos.

Anyhoot, give the test ride program a shot.. Clyde-worthy seats to consider from WTB as you're testing them.

1) Speed V
    2) Pure V
    3) Laser V
    4) Power V

Give them a shot, and see if any strike you as better than others... just remember, you dont have to keep the seat you're trying for a week.. if you dont like it after say, 20 miles, then just go and try the next one.. and feel NO shame in going back and asking to try one you already tried before, just to compare. There is NO shame in comfort, and you cant bike if you hate your seat, so dont pick it with shame or pride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red
    and I'm actually not sure if I've ever seen a different style of seat, as in without the two bars, but I'm not exactly very worldly on other types of post / seat combos.
    Most seats use the two rails, but there is another type of interface out there called i-beam, that requires a different seat post.

http://bikewagon.com/Saddles-Seatpos...28873-1-3.html

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    There is a Pure V (OE-original equipment) saddle being sold at jensonusa.com right now for 20 bucks. There are different types of Pure V saddles I think, so I'm not sure if it is the right one being talked about though. I think the sale one is the Pure V Race.
    Be careful with OE versions of the Pure V saddles. Make sure you know what you're getting because the rails on them are often made of a lower strength steel, not cromoly. I bought a couple of them two years ago because they were inexpensive. One didn't last six months on my FS bike before a rail cracked. I bent a rail on the other one in about half that time. (I'm 6' 5", 255 lbs) If it just says "steel" rails, they probably aren't cromoly.

In contrast, both of my WTB Pure V Race aftermarket saddles with cromoly rails are now about 5 years old and are still going strong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by klydesdale
    Be careful with OE versions of the Pure V saddles. Make sure you know what you're getting because the rails on them are often made of a lower strength steel, not cromoly. I bought a couple of them two years ago because they were inexpensive. One didn't last six months on my FS bike before a rail cracked. I bent a rail on the other one in about half that time. (I'm 6' 5", 255 lbs) If it just says "steel" rails, they probably aren't cromoly.

In contrast, both of my WTB Pure V Race aftermarket saddles with cromoly rails are now about 5 years old and are still going strong.
    Thanks for the teechin'.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    Sette Strike DH saddle from pricepoint.com. ...just curious about it.
    i have been riding this and love it. its maybe a little soft, but i dont mind it since i ride a hardtail

The Sentinel

Welcome to the club!

For me it was a Ritchey bonded seatpost...I hit a banked corner off balance, landed awkwardly on the exit, and SNAP...saddle and the head of the post went flying, leaving me just the jagged remainder of the seatpost. Fortunately, my big a$$ didn't get impaled!

Anywho, I would second the WTB Pure V recommendation. I've been using the Pure V Pro. It has Nicro rails and a synthetic cover, without the stitching that bothers some people. If you want a leather cover and titanium rails, the Pure V Team fits that bill, but I never could justify the additional cost.

It was my fault I was tired and in the saddle in the bottom of a whoopty doo. And crack, the seat came off the metal bars. The seat was bontrager that came with the bike. I liked it alot but would like something made for big boys. What saddles do you have and comments about them.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell