mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Is my bike too big?

I've had a 24" Surly Ogre for three weeks now, and I'm concerned that it's a bit too big.

Vertically it's fine. The standover is just an inch or so below my groin, and I've got quite a bit of seat post out just to get the right length for my legs.

Where I'm having trouble is the bars. At first they felt nice to lean into, but now I feel like I'm reaching out for them when I'm really pedaling hard, and if I'm sitting comfortably when I go over a speed bump, the front wheel feels like it's going to lift (but it never does)

I'm also getting neck pain after my commute, but I'm hoping that's just an adjustment to riding again after a few years off.

I rode a 22" Cannondale a few weeks ago, and that was clearly too small, so I'm not sure what the heck's going on.

So, what's the surest sign that my bike is too big?

mtbr member
    Other than having a pro fit; you will get answers all over the map on a forum.

What size is your stem; do you have a flat bar or riser and any spacers under your stem?

If you are getting pain in the neck; be careful. It would indicate an over-reaching or lack of flexibility in your neck for the bar location.

If your leg extension and saddle positioning in relation to your BB feels good, then your may need to shorten your stem so that your weight is not too much forward and even raising it also if your steerer tube has the height or going with a steeper angled stem.

Perhaps with more info, others might be able to add in.

Lord Thunderbottom
    a quick check that I read somewhere and actually seems to work in most cases is to put your elbow against (in front of) the seat nose and if your middle finger reaches the middle of the stem you're pretty close to the right size, maybe tweak the seat front to back and try a different stem otherwise

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    a quick check that I read somewhere and actually seems to work in most cases is to put your elbow against (in front of) the seat nose and if your middle finger reaches the middle of the stem you're pretty close to the right size, maybe tweak the seat front to back and try a different stem otherwise

Sweet tip, Im gonna try that. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Good info. I'm looking also right now so ill give it a try.

Lord Thunderbottom
    Please keep in mind this is a general guideline for top tube length only, probably the most important fit besides standover

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you haven't ridden for a while, it's common to get some muscle pain (s).
    Try to ride with 'light" hands.
    Ride often, then make some minor changes.
    I started 3 years ago, with the last year riding 4-5 days/ wk and have made dramatic changes in my bike set up.

mtbr member

I feel you

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutHerr View Post
    I've had a 24" Surly Ogre for three weeks now, and I'm concerned that it's a bit too big.

Vertically it's fine. The standover is just an inch or so below my groin, and I've got quite a bit of seat post out just to get the right length for my legs.

Where I'm having trouble is the bars. At first they felt nice to lean into, but now I feel like I'm reaching out for them when I'm really pedaling hard, and if I'm sitting comfortably when I go over a speed bump, the front wheel feels like it's going to lift (but it never does)

I'm also getting neck pain after my commute, but I'm hoping that's just an adjustment to riding again after a few years off.

I rode a 22" Cannondale a few weeks ago, and that was clearly too small, so I'm not sure what the heck's going on.

So, what's the surest sign that my bike is too big?
    Funny that I even opened this thread...glad I did. You and I are/were in the same boat my friend. When I found REI carried the Ogre complete I drove 6 hours (roundtrip) to test ride a 22', it was the biggest they stocked. I tooled around the lot for close to an hour.

I'm a shade over 6'4 and have long limbs and torso. I struggled soo much with the decision, the 22' would've been fine as it wasn't really small at all - in all honesty, I was simply unfamiliar with the feel of the short chainstay geometry and what that does to the ridefeel.

I was on a time crunch to order b/c they were having a sale...so i went 24'. I then became worried after pouring through the Karate Monkey sizing thread here. There are a number of guys just around my size riding 20' KMs and loving them. Thing is - their main concern is technical single track.

I, however, got the Ogre to be my one and only bike. I'm selling off my other bikes because this functions as every bike with a switch of accessories. In the next few years I plan to ride the Divide, tour cross country and into south america. So I plan on long days/miles in the saddle.

I'm about 2,500 miles of 60/20/20 road/gravel/singletrack in now and everything feels good and dialed in. I replaced the stock 130mm stem with a 90mm 10deg rise stem and even put on a setback seat post, which helped with the feeling of being on top of the pedals. Next I plan to get a more upright, swept bar; Surly open bar, Jones Loop bar, H-bar. That would be my recommendation to you also - ergonomic, less stressful and a more relaxed ridefeel.

If all else fails you can buy the 22' frame off amazon for around 500 and sell your barely used 24' for a slight loss. Good luck. Hope I was at least somewhat helpful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the great responses.

put your elbow against (in front of) the seat nose and if your middle finger reaches the middle of the stem you're pretty close to the right size
    My middle finger just clears the headset, which matches up with the feeling that the bars being just a couple of inches too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Renruthsoj View Post
    Hope I was at least somewhat helpful.
    Yes!

I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who had the same experience, so that's really helpful.

My main concern is that I won't be able to correct the fit and would have to get another frame, so that's encouraging. I'm taking it into the shop on the weekend to look at a new stem and maybe some bars.

I also got the Ogre to be The One Bike I could commute and cargo with during the week and take out for some trail bashing a few times a year, so I'm pretty invested in making the ride as close to perfect as possible.

And besides, everyone on this subforum knows how cool it is to see their massive bike tied to a rack with the normal sized ones, so getting a smaller frame would harsh my completely unwarranted smugness.