mtbr member
    May 2011

My bike was stolen,need help on what to get

Hi I lost my pride and joy last week, I know very little about MTBikes and I built my last one and was really happy when I finished it but it was a Frankenstien bike. I built it on a whim and it turned out to be what I like so I want to buy something reasonably priced that may do the same thing.

I took a trek 4300 22.5 incher and put 29 SUN MTX 33's on it with 8 inch bb7s and 42 CM tires and sometimes ran Bontrager XR1 1.9's. Rather than build another is there a bike out of the box that can do this style of riding. I ride 80% rode but will jump steps, go down stairs, hit small jumps, ride off road and jump curbs. I am 6 foot 4 and 300.

I finally got the bike I built sorted out and it was like a road bike you could trash off road,is there anything in stock config like this?

One other thing how much faster is the bike by not having big rotors on the wheels and stay with V brakes?

I started adding to much wheel mass and how much does that slow the bike down? I quit running the XR1's and went with 42 CM tires with heavy tubes because the heavy duty tubes on the XR1's really weighed a ton. I kept getting flats with stock tubes so what about tubless?

Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Cyclocross bikes are basically heavy duty road bikes, built with thicker gauge steel to handle bumpy dirt roads. They probably wont handle hucking stairs though, but hopping curbs should be fine.

29ers are like heavier duty cyclocross bikes but with fatter tires and geometry more suited for singletrack.

Whats your budget?

Also, do you have any pics of your old Trek? Just curious how it all looked put together.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The last one I had 1250 in it,I was going to update the cranks to 200 mm and put a better fork on it. The series 4 frames seem to be heavy duty? the rest of the bike is crap but I liked the frame. I can spend 1500 to 2000.

All of the 29ers I demoed were not as comfy as the 22.5 trek 4300 for upright road going. It seemed to me it converted into a great do it all thrasher road bike. It had certain problems in technical handling off road but no bike can do it all great.

What do you suggest? thanks for replying

No I should have taken some pictures of it,the gloss black with the black 29s looked awesome.

The bike really turned out amazing, the biggest problem was I like to mash and I had the seat post way up because how long legged I am and the bike could endow going down stairs like that so I got a lay back seat post and solved the problem.

The wheel base was like 2 iches shorter than a comparable 29er so it could endow if not careful. The 24 incher 4 series frame is 1.5 inches longer so it would solve the problem of endow but I like to ride straight up and mash and for me the 22.5 is much more comfortable.

I am going to look around and take advise so any help would be great but I may just build another like it.It was perfect for what I do.

I took it to some local bike shops and they told me there was no bike you buy on the market like what I had built and a custom was the only way?. And they told me there was a market for what I had built a roadbike comfort bike that you can beat the crap out of it like a mountain bike.
    Last edited by Realslowww; 01-11-2012 at 03:03 PM.

mtbr member
    What have you demoed and what didnt you like about them? You've got a good budget to work with, I built a Soma Double Cross with a full SRAM Rival group for less than what you're budgeting. I ride it all over the place and it handles trails well with 700x42 tires and commutes great with 700x28s. It's not a hucking bike but it's fast on the road and handles really well in most road/trail conditions.

I'm assuming with all the road duty that you're wanting a rigid bike?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I demoed a Giant extra large 29 750$ model and a Marlin 29 23 incher and a few other high $ 29ers and a few complete suspension bikes and a 24 incher 4300. none of them were comfy upright like the 22.5 4300 and that is why I bought it.

No matter what get I want wheels as heavy duty as the MTX 33s.

Thanks for replying, i will check out what you have. The bike I had was cheap but heavy duty. How much does an extra 5 or 10 pounds of over weight of a heavy bike slow you down or heavy duty rims on the road?

mtbr member
    The most important weight is moving/rotating weight. You'll feel weight gain in wheels and tires but may not notice a heavier frame/fork.

You keep saying 'comfy upright', do you mean you want a hybrid, 'begging dog' pedalling stance on the bike? Were the other bikes more stretched out in the cockpit? There's definitely a tradeoff in power between being stretched out and sitting upright with tall handlebars and a short stem.

Keep in mind, did you like anything else about the bikes you demoed? You can always throw BMX bars onto a normal mountain bike to get the sit-up-and-beg upright posture if that's what makes you comfortable. Short stem, really tall bars or a ton of spacers, and you're in bikepath heaven but an upright position raises your center of gravity which negatively affects handling 90% of the time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    you are right I can modify another bike probably to work but I liked the way the bike just peddeled and felt,the short wheel base made it handle razor sharp. Mainly the way I could peddle it. The whole thing just felt right to where I wanted to ride it.

It did not seem to wheelie well for me, I was scared to wheelie it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just a thought. I have had a Santa Cruz carbon fiber 29er Tallboy for 2 years now and i love it. It is just right for singletrack and all mountain riding. The full suspension is perfect for my 210 lb. and 6'5 (XL frame) height. I went through alot of bikes (yeti 575, Moots YBB, 3D custom) before i found this bike. I am planning on purchasing another frame exactly like this one and put it in the closet for a replacement when i wear this one out. I love it that much.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all the replies

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    sorry for your loss~