mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Is it my bad technique or geometry?

Rode up Trabuco Creek Rd today and then back down. On the descent mfingers started to get numb and my palms too. Do you think I have too much sure in the front suspension or is it my riding position or maybe just bad technique?

On my way up the hill I didn't get any numbness in my hands but I did in my feet which seemed to subside when I walked about for a but and then loosened my shoes.

Other than that it was a great ride. 5.6 miles up Trabuco to Holy Jim Trail took about 1.5 hours, yea I'm slow. Coming down took about 30 minutes. I should note that this "road" is nothing but rocks and dirt and pretty rutted and bumpy.

Suggestions please
    Some days I want to kick my own A$$ twice.

I Strava Hamburgers
    I used to get really sore hands when I rode.

2 things.

1. I switched to Ergons for grips. They're amazing.

2. Once I got more confident in my decent abilities, I found myself riding a lot lighter on my hands on the way down, and trusted the bike to do more of the work rather then white knuckling it all the way down.

Do you tense up on your downs? It could be as simple as that.

How tall are you, what bike are you riding, and what size.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

I Strava Hamburgers
    Your frame might be a SMIDGE small.

Are you relaxed on downs, or do you find yourself clenching your fists?
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm just over six feet tall and I am riding a Rocky Mountain Vertex 29. 19 inch frame.

I Strava Hamburgers
    It may not be stand over height issues but more just how your arms and legs reach. I'm just offering up ideas of what may be the issue

Have you tried getting your bike fitted?

Also, do you wear gloves?
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yea I'm a little tense. Frame size is perfect, When I'm standing on the frame it comes right up and just touches the plumbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I bought my bike at Jenson USA in Corona and one of the guys at the shop made me ride 3 different sizes before I bought my bike. He suggested the 19 due to how I fit on the bikes. I do wear gloves.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Hrm.

What grips are you using?
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Former Bike Wrench
    I would suggest trying two things:

Grips: As mentioned, the Ergon grips (and similar imitations from other manufacturers) work well for a lot of riders. They make several different types but the most popular are the GX1 and GP1 versions. I used a set of GX1 grips and they did make a big difference for hand pain and numbness (once set at the right angle, which took a couple rides to dial in). However, I didn't like the feel of the grips when I got air under my tires. Never felt like I had full control of the bike.

Bars: I decided to try several "Alt Bar" designs. I started with a Salsa 17 degree bend bar and instantly felt less strain on my wrists and my hands got better. I then went pretty radical and switched to a Origin-8 Space Bar (37 degree sweep). At first these felt really weird, but after a couple rides with standard grips I notice a huge reduction in hand pain and numbness. Still it seemed a little extreme so I picked up a Ragley Carnegie's bar with 25 degrees sweep. This was the "sweet spot" for me...I love the feel of these bars!!! I've added a pair of Ergon GA1 grips which are a more traditional style grip but still is contoured to your hands.

PS-Carnegie's have to be ordered from the UK, but Salsa just came out with a very similar bar called the Bend Flat Bar

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The key is unloading the wrist from excessive extension/tension. I had the same issue and the larger ergon grips prevented squeezing the handle bar too much. Also i adjusted the angle of my brake levers down to promote more of the "attack position".

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have Ergons, I forget the model, but the big ones. I used to use heavily padded gloves with a standard grip and my hands would kill me from the standard being too small for my hands. Now I can ride with gloves that have no padding. Best accessory purchase I have made.