mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Is it my bad technique or geometry?

Rode up Trabuco Creek Rd today and then back down. On the descent mfingers started to get numb and my palms too. Do you think I have too much sure in the front suspension or is it my riding position or maybe just bad technique?

On my way up the hill I didn't get any numbness in my hands but I did in my feet which seemed to subside when I walked about for a but and then loosened my shoes.

Other than that it was a great ride. 5.6 miles up Trabuco to Holy Jim Trail took about 1.5 hours, yea I'm slow. Coming down took about 30 minutes. I should note that this "road" is nothing but rocks and dirt and pretty rutted and bumpy.

Suggestions please
    Some days I want to kick my own A$$ twice.

S-Mart's Top of the Line
    Sometimes my fingers/wrists/palms have gone numb on long downhills...For me, I have determined that my wrists are too far rotated backwards, and are taking the brunt of all of the blows in return. By rotating my hand up and forward, the angle between my forearm and hand becomes straight, and I no longer have an issue. I also always wear gloves too, which also helps.

As for the feet....is it ONLY your feet? My legs/feet used to go numb, and it was because my saddle didn't match my butt, but it was noticeable in all of leg, not just foot. Good luck, safe riding.

mtbr member
    You should try a bunch of different things, like Ergon grips, changing lever position, even brake less.